Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Gruffalo's Child
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 17, 2014
A fascinating tale for all ages. I reviewed the DVD and this book in the DVD review. Just to summarize; A really great read that will have your kids learning the story piece by piece, so when you pause while reading, they will fill in the rest of the line. The artwork is wonderful. The story is wonderful. I don't know if it teaches anything for real except "if you can keep a straight face while you tell a lie, you might just get away with it and not be eaten by the wild creatures of the forest" (until you really meet up with the G R U F F A L O). The ending is classic and the book and DVD are great companions.

Toilet training happened with numerous readings of this book.
on October 10, 2016
We love it. It was instantly attractive to my son, just the "what's a gruffalo" line being repeated cracked him up. The story is dramatic and descriptive enough to allow for "theatrics and funny voices" while reading together, which is very important to us. Illustrations are good. The animals (fox, owl, snake) are ones my son could relate to during subsequent zoo visits and when we drive past "woods" he's on the alert for mice and his gruffalo. I understand how the mouse's trickery could be concerning for some parents, but we have yet to face issues/questions regarding that aspect from our child. He just takes at face value the rhymes and the animals and their different homes and sounds. Maybe its an age-related thing?
on September 18, 2016
Adorable sequel to the Gruffalo. My two month old loves all of Julia Donaldson's books and I have so much fun reading them to her! It's longer than you'd think would hold a baby's attention, but with wide eyes she giggles and kicks her feet with excitement. The story flows very well and the drawings are beautiful. We'll probably have to put it away when she starts chewing on everything but once she's reading on her own, I see this being a favorite for years.
on December 7, 2015
Super Cute, A great read for baby and parents! :-)

UPDATE 4/20/16: We LOVE this book... our daughter is now 18 months old and she just loves the Gruffalo, Gruffalo's Child, Stick Man, Tabby McTat... ok... all of Julie Donaldson's books... you can actually find the Gruffalo somewhere in all almost the books she writes.... It is hard to get the Board Books of hers in the USA. Ive had to order some that are not on Amazon from thebookdepository.com... it is out of the UK. Some of the works are not really US English, but still cute stories!
on November 21, 2017
Bought this item for my 2 year old grand-daughter who loves the Gruffalo! I live in the states and the package came from the UK...the box inside the package was damaged and smashed BUT am happy with the hardcover book and stuffed animal. They are "pint" size but love the look of both pieces. I'm still giving 5 stars even with the arrival of the package and it's long travel...Picture attached shows the size of the stuffed toy and the book inside box. Thank you.
review image
on September 10, 2016
We've bought this book 3 times because we've read through it so many times it's been destroyed. The movies on Amazon of the Gruffalo are also amazing and if you have read this you'll need to watch them. Also...don't miss the second Gruffalo. We get this first one for every kid who's turning one and once you start reading it...you'll do the same. Then you'll never be able to unhear, "You'll taste good with a slice of bread."
on May 9, 2017
One of my favorite books to give along with a gift at baby shower's! The Gruffalo is so sCaRy... or is he? Love the thought behind the book that looks can be deceiving and also that having a creative mind can save your bacon! I also really recommend the video of the Gruffalo, the narrative and illustrations are superlative! Parents should watch first and decide if they think it will scare their little one(s) first.
on November 16, 2015
This is our new favorite book!!! Seriously! I had never heard of this story before and came across it on a pinterest post of "best books for toddlers." They were right! The best part about it is the rhythm and repetition throughout the story- just love how it reads (and enjoy the illustrations that go with the story too). We love the characters- a little bit silly and has a great story line. I appreciate the smart & cunning little mouse! I now buy this as gifts for many of our friends with little ones. This is a must have book- you won't be disappointed!
on April 15, 2017
This book is my son's favorite book. The story is great for a 2-year-old and older kids as well. Also, the movie is worth seeing as well if your little one likes the book. (I also enjoy the movie, which is refreshing). The movie is available on Netflix right now and my son loves opening the book and looking at the pages while he sees the movie.
on October 23, 2017
This is such a fun book to read. It is a favorite around this house and our little one picks it time and time again for story time. Not sure why she likes it so much, but she does. Perhaps it's because the drawings are so well done and so much to look at, or perhaps it's because Gruggalo's are supposed to be scary and this one isn't.