Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

The Handmaid's Tale
Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 15, 2018
Her run on sentences, interrupted thoughts, and serious lack of quotation marks are driving me insane but I bought the book so I'm gonna finish it. Was her editor, assuming she had one, drunk when they edited this book?!
on April 9, 2018
Good book and a fine edition. But be sure you like Atwood before you buy.
on May 21, 2017
Not one of my favorites. Not sure what the fuss is/was about. Just another plodding hyped by labeling it feminist.
on May 18, 2017
Given a money wager, I would have bet the obvious: The Handmaid's Tale was written by a conservative author as a parody of the liberal worldview; or, more specifically, as a parody of the conservative mindset as it is understood by liberals. Dystopian fiction must seem truer even than the truth, causing the reader not only to search the consequential threads of current events, but also to find something of the portrayed evil in his own thoughts and proclivities, so that he may say, "Yes, I see how such a thing could come to be, and I, fully subject to human nature, could even acquiesce to such a state or bring it to pass, were I not watchful." Margaret Atwood has taken a random grab-bag of liberal feminist bugaboos and caricatures, wondered "what if", and rendered them with somnambulant prose into an utterly implausible future. Tammy Fay Bakker (or is it Jan Crouch?) enters undisguised--the liberal reader thanks God the evangelicals never got topsides on the rest of us. Forcing women to wear nun's habits? Isn't that like those patriarchal Catholics....What was obviously intended as the story's most chilling scene--an abortionist executed and publicly hung on a hook for display--actually made me laugh out loud. Well.... This truncated review, thoroughly disjointed, is far less than this horrible book deserves, as I've not enough time to waste. My apologies. But to sum up: Badly, boringly, ploddingly written, and devoid of any meaningful insight. Conservatives will laugh their heads off, have they the fortitude to finish. Liberals--feminists--will knowingly nod and shake their heads slowly with contempt, as this confirms everything they've always wanted to believe. The Handmaid's Tale compares to 1984 like Elfquest to The Lord of the Rings--please forgive the offense to Elfquest. One of the few books I've ever read with no redeeming qualities. I regret the time, now forever lost, that I spent on it.
28 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on March 17, 2017
Great book. Speculative fiction.
2 people found this helpful
on March 12, 2017
As I was reading The Handmaid's Tale all I kept thinking was this was a Liberal's worst nightmare. Although the circumstances for the events in the book were never flushed out, it was a good read.
One person found this helpful
on February 26, 2017
Great book.. I've since bought a few of Ms. Atwood's books and am looking forward to reading the... This book seems to give us insight into what the trump bunch may have up their sleeves..
on February 2, 2017
I try reading this book every year, it is that important to me. This is the best of dystopian literature from the feminine perspective. The best and most terrible part of this novel is that everything is, in some way, true because everything, in some way, has happened in the history of women. It's terrifying to know Atwood was inspired because of what she saw happening in the U.S. under Ronald Reagan's presidency and 'traditional values'. The novel remains relevant decade after decade.
on December 26, 2016