Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on January 29, 2017
I first read The Handmaid's Tale around the time it was published in 1986. I was just 22, a sheltered young thing. I recall wondering what everyone was raving about, since only the top story layer of the book connected for me. Now, with decades of life experience behind me, I see that this is a deeply moving, complex book. I'm so glad I decide to read again just at this moment in time.

You would think that something written thirty years ago would seem dated. But that wasn't the case for me. If anything, I think there are so many things imagined in the book which have become more possible today instead of less. In a sense, this is a cautionary tale that a large art of the population ignored or misunderstood.

More than ever, we should be reading this and sharing it with the young women in our lives. And discussing it with them, so they see more of the depth than my 22-year-old self did.

Margaret Atwood imagined a world where a totalitarian power went into action against foreign zealots and their own people's "wanton" behavior. This power was meant to make the world better, but it also created a world of highly distinct "haves" and "have nots."

She says, “Better never means better for everyone... It always means worse, for some.” It might be just me (although I suspect not) but this sure sounds like what we often hear today on the news and in conversations.

Reading this at the end of 2016 after a brutal election cycle, the following quote from Atwood seems both wise and horrible. Have we not been hearing about people who feel invisible?

“We were the people who were not in the papers. We lived in the blank white spaces at the edges of print. It gave us more freedom. We lived in the gaps between the stories"

Atwood's Republic of Gilead gives people one-dimensional functions. Correction - she gives women one-dimensional functions. They are Wives, Marthas, Handmaids, Aunts, or Unwomen (and a few more which would be spoilers). Unwomen are rebels, likely to be banished to the toxic waste dumps of the colonies. Everyone else plays a part in the singular female focus - procreation. As I read, I wondered what category I'd fall into should I have the bad luck to land in Gilead. The women there have no layers of life or experience. They are expected only to fulfill their narrow role.

Why is procreation such a focus? Because of falling birth rates among white people. This book doesn't discuss race except one small spot near the end. It's as if there is only one race in Gilead. And the only people in that race with any power are men.

The main character, Offred (literally of Fred named after the Commander she serves) is the perfect blend of weak and strong. She tells us of her past and says, “When we think of the past it's the beautiful things we pick out. We want to believe it was all like that.” But her life is not beautiful. And Atwood straddles the line of past and present, sending back and forth in a way that keeps you wanting more. Just as Offred wants more. Just as we all want more for ourselves and the generations of women coming after us.

If you read this book long ago, pick it up again. If you haven't yet read it, move it up to the top of your TBR. Buy it for friends. Buy for your sons and daughters. Use it to teach and to learn what kind of world we could be if we stop valuing the diversity of all people.
5050 comments| 1,852 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 3, 2017
I bought this book as a present for one of my friends since I already read it and got to love it! Canadian Author Margaret Atwood depicted dystopian society in this novel, formed because of lack of fertility, where antifeminism has reached its peak. Though the book is pretty dark, it makes the reader think a lot and is very fast to read. Once started, one hardly can stop. It is a remarkable piece.

The book is written using first person narrative technique, which helps to empathize and get connected with the main hero, the handmade Offglen even better. There are many parallels drawn between The Republic of Gilead and The US, but nowhere does it explicitly state that the described state is The US. There is a lot of symbolism and imagery, which make the novel rich and beautiful. Every other time going through it new things get connected in readers mind and develops a deeper understanding of this novel. I particularly enjoyed the very last part, but will not spoil for readers. It's definitely must read!

I ordered paperback. The book came in great packaging and in great condition.

Update: May 28, 2017

I bought the book again for another one of my acquaintances. The book is regaining new popularity and "second life" in a sense, since the recent situation in the world and especially in the US is finding a suite with the depictions of the book, unfortunately. I would recommend this book now more then ever to read, analyze, understand and fight for the life you would like to live and for the world you would like to live in.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 315 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 20, 2018
I love Ms. Atwood's writing. She lays out the story one piece at a time, until the whole picture emerges. It draws you in until you're hooked, and you can't stop reading. I especially like that she didn't answer all questions. At the end, there are still ends untied - both frustrating and satisfying at the same time.
on January 23, 2018
I hope the writer isn't about to string herself up to the chandelier as described in the book. I found this book very dark and foreboding. I think a take on "1984" but without the development.
on January 23, 2018
The Handmaid’s Tale is one of the best pieces of fiction I’ve read. It should be required reading for all students. Not only is it full of substance, but it is also impossible to put down. As a reader you are fully immersed in the world of Gilead. Unfortunately, the novel remains forever relevant, especially when read in the context of current politics. I can’t recommend this book strongly enough.
on January 18, 2018
Incredibly imaginative storytelling. Enjoyed this book from the first word to the last. Looking forward to reading more of Ms. Atwood's work.
on January 9, 2018
Another gem by M. Atwood. The depth and creativity of her writing is unsurpassed.
on January 23, 2018
I really liked the book, but the ending didn't do anything for me. It didn't wrap anything up, so I really hope she plans on writing a sequel?
on January 12, 2018
scary post apocalyptic novel. seems very apropos
on January 23, 2018
Haven't finish this book yet but my friend said it is very good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.