Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on October 28, 2015
Taking care of a baby for my wife and I was a relative breeze (we have had four). We had all of our kids sleeping through the night by 9 weeks, and even when they were not yet sleeping through the night they still were sleeping in blocks of several hours at a time so that we were only getting up in the middle of the night once or twice a night. Lots of moms used to say that we were just "lucky" to have easy kids, but after a repeating pattern with all four kids, they have all had to admit that we "must be doing something right." People ask us all the time what is our secret. This is it.

We based our baby care plan on two sources:
1. On Becoming Baby Wise
2. The Happiest Baby On The Block

The first one addresses putting your baby on a scheduled feeding and sleeping plan. The second one addresses the best way to keep your baby sleeping once you put him/her down. This video teaches you how to get your baby to calm down and sleep, shows you how swaddling prevents your baby from waking him/herself up by involuntary reflexes which all babies make, and reveals what your baby's crying really means. You know that mom on public transportation who can't get her baby to stop crying? You wish she had watched this video!
31 people found this helpful
on January 17, 2018
After being tired (pun intended) of having this DVD recommended to us over and over and over again, we decided to buy and watch. Felt like a waste of money, to be honest. I suppose it "works" but it just did not feel like anything revolutionary or overly insightful.

To save your money, do this: swaddle your baby, swing them in your arms, give them a pacifier and make a really loud sssshing noise. That's literally the entire movie. Kind of amazing actually that Dr. Karp has made such a cottage industry off of this, but I guess more power to him.

Granted, we were not having major sleep issues and little guy was not really very fussy, so there was no huge need for relief for us. But, nonetheless it just felt silly buying a DVD for what we got. Could be a very brief blog post instead...
9 people found this helpful
on October 3, 2014
Seemed like a very quick video, something you could just find online (you tube) since he only has the 5 methods. However, it was nice to watch with the hubby.. Sometimes short and to the point keeps men from zoning out. No offense to all the awesome hands on dads out there!! Mine just isn't one of them ;)
23 people found this helpful
on March 30, 2017
Purchased this for my pregnant niece. We watched this video a dozen times when we had babies. Thankfully had these techniques through months of colic and crying - it was great to know what to do to help our babies. Well worth the purchase!
Top Contributor: Babyon November 22, 2016
A coworker told me about the book but I decided on the DVD instead. The tips provided by Dr. Karp are truly amazing because they actually work to soothe a fussy baby and help the baby sleep longer. I highly recommend this to all new parents! I dont know if my husband and I would have survived without the 5 S's that are covered in this DVD.
3 people found this helpful
on April 11, 2016
Amazing, magic, baby voodoo. This is NOT just rocking the baby. This is a completely different technique that grandma has never seen. 90% of the time this calmed our baby in under a minute, and had him asleep in five. The other 10% he needed something- more nursing, a diaper change, he needed to poo, something.

Seriously, watch this now. We watched it when our baby was three weeks old and we were kicking ourselves for waiting so long! Three weeks of crying could never be undone!

Stopped working around 4-5 months old. As Dr. Karp says, this is really for the first three months or so.
on December 11, 2017
Very useful for first few weeks after birth. I only wish we had watched it before our baby was born because we had no time or energy to watch it until he was 6 weeks old. By then we had suffered through the hardest part that the DVD would have helped us with.
2 people found this helpful
on September 3, 2015
The tips in this DVD worked very well when our son was born. Results may vary, but for us it turned out to really help keep him calm and happy :)
8 people found this helpful
on December 10, 2014
The doctor in this program even admits that sometimes this procedure does not work; however, he has a very high success rate. My child was not colic-y, but he did have some crazy nights and these procedures help. Be patient with it and stick with it or you'll be easily frustrated. Wish I had been able to find a book for cheaper, and looking back I think the YouTube videos told you most everything in here. Worth the buy for our family though.
on July 28, 2016
One of the most helpful "how to" for newborns. I wish we would have had to watch it in the hospital before coming home. We bought this out of desperation at 3:30 in the morning when our daughter had screamed all night. Dr Harvey Karp's techniques work liked a charm, and brought sanity to us when we needed it the most. Highly recommended this to all first time parents.
2 people found this helpful