Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,132 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,544 reviews
on October 28, 2015
Taking care of a baby for my wife and I was a relative breeze (we have had four). We had all of our kids sleeping through the night by 9 weeks, and even when they were not yet sleeping through the night they still were sleeping in blocks of several hours at a time so that we were only getting up in the middle of the night once or twice a night. Lots of moms used to say that we were just "lucky" to have easy kids, but after a repeating pattern with all four kids, they have all had to admit that we "must be doing something right." People ask us all the time what is our secret. This is it.

We based our baby care plan on two sources:
1. On Becoming Baby Wise
2. The Happiest Baby On The Block

The first one addresses putting your baby on a scheduled feeding and sleeping plan. The second one addresses the best way to keep your baby sleeping once you put him/her down. This video teaches you how to get your baby to calm down and sleep, shows you how swaddling prevents your baby from waking him/herself up by involuntary reflexes which all babies make, and reveals what your baby's crying really means. You know that mom on public transportation who can't get her baby to stop crying? You wish she had watched this video!
on October 3, 2014
Seemed like a very quick video, something you could just find online (you tube) since he only has the 5 methods. However, it was nice to watch with the hubby.. Sometimes short and to the point keeps men from zoning out. No offense to all the awesome hands on dads out there!! Mine just isn't one of them ;)
on January 28, 2017
This is the fourth time I have purchased this DVD as a baby shower gift for friends. 11 years ago when someone gave this to me at my baby shower I didn't think much of it. I put it down and never gave it much thought. Several months later I gave birth to my very first baby girl. We brought her home from the hospital and there came a point in time when she would not stop crying. I was in tears, my husband was almost in tears we just didn't know what to do. It was at that point i remembered the DVD and, out of sheer desperation we put it in the DVD player to watch. The video was fairly short and went over the steps one by one. IT WORKED IMMEDIATELY and my beautiful baby girl stopped crying. It was magic. I will never forget it. I will continue to purchase this DVD for every baby shower I attend.
on July 19, 2011
I bought this DVD with the book to help me figure out how to help calm my colicky 6 week old baby. I definitely recommend getting the book. You could probably skip the DVD and just head to the Happiest Baby website to see the 5 S's modeled. The DVD is good for learning how to swaddle correctly, knowing how loud to shush and how to jiggle properly, but again, I think you could find this for free on youtube. Also, check your local library for a copy because once you see it, you probably won't have to watch it twice.
on February 25, 2016
I bought this DVD because a fellow new Mommy friend said I HAVE TO WATCH IT before our little one arrives. She said they had a really tough first three weeks with their newborn, until someone recommended this DVD to them. After they watched it, they learned how to comfort and calm their son and things finally went smoothly afterwards. She said they wished they had heard about this video BEFORE their son was born instead of after the fact. It would have saved them 3 weeks of sleepless nights. Now I see why.

As soon as it arrived, I put the DVD in to watch it. I was completely surprised and enlightened to learn the different techniques to comfort and calm our baby. The Pediatrician explains 5 different techniques that work to immediately calm your baby. They work because they trigger a baby's natural reflex, much like a knee reflex in an adult.

My husband walked in before the technique instructions even started and paused to watch a minute or so. Then he said, "So I can calm her by putting her on her side like that?" I just giggled. He was in and out while this video was on and asked me what I was watching. When I told him and he realized that we now own this DVD he actually got excited. He asked if I could leave it out for him to watch on his own. I was SHOCKED at his peaked interest.

After watching this DVD, I feel so much more prepared for our little one's arrival. I feel more confident that I have 5 new things to try with her to cam her down when she cries.

This DVD includes other questions and answers that I found extremely helpful as well. THIS will be my go-to Baby Shower gift from now on!!! If you're even thinking twice about do you really need this, trust me, you DO. You'll thank me later!!!!!
on August 2, 2015
Good tips, can be a 5 minute video though.
-feed your baby
-swaddle your baby
-rocking your baby calms it (especially on its side)
-white noise is great for your baby
on July 7, 2005
The DVD gives you detailed demonstrations on five methods of comforting an infant so that s/he stops crying, sleeps better, and so that YOU get more sleep. There's some basic information about the theory behind these methods, and some very helpful advice on what doesn't work, and things that work but can lead to bad habits.

And that's really all there is to it. If that doesn't seem like a lot, when then you obviously haven't had to deal with an infant that cries at all hours turning your entire house into sleepless zombies. I have. It isn't pretty.

Incidentally, the DVD is MUCH MUCH better than the book. In fact, don't bother with the book at all. Watching the video gives you in a few seconds what it takes 5 pages to get from the book.

The DVD also includes an extended Q&A session with the doctor and some womb noises (which did nothing for our kids, but might work for yours).

For the last two years, this has been the gift we give at showers because while you might not need it, if you do the DVD is worth its weight in gold.
on July 19, 2014
This is a must watch for every new parent. My daughter delivered recently while her husband was deployed. She had the book but watching this video brought it all together for us. The combination of his advice and the visual examples combined for a great learning experience. I can't imagine the first few weeks trying to figure out this new little person without this resource. Bought this one for my friends daughter so they could benefit too. They also found it extremely helpful.
on May 7, 2014
Heard from multiple people to just watch the video rather than read the whole book and I thought the video was very informative.
We ordered this when we were at our wits end with our colicky baby. I felt so overwhelmed. The best part about this, other than the sound advice, is that you feel empowered when the video ends and like you know what you're doing. Some of the S's worked for us and some didn't, but they were definitely a huge help for us and our baby. I highly recommend this if you have a seemingly inconsolable baby. It really helped us a lot.
on April 9, 2017
Several people recommended this video, and I'm so glad we purchased it. It's been a sanity-saver with our little guy. Combined with another video on baby "language", our baby has gone from hours-long screaming to much shorter outbursts, and being able to sleep for 4-6 hour stretches per night when he was only 1.5 weeks old.