BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 8, 2017
A must gift for new parents. Companion piece to "Happiest Baby on the Block.Have been in Labor and Delivery for three decades. I bought this for my new moms to watch. Rave reviews.
on December 9, 2015
Dr. Karp does a great job explaining the techniques to manage toddlers. Some concepts are basic and just make sense. He balances the parent's responses with positive time with your child. Video is varied with instructions, examples and lists. Packaged well with chapter list printed.
on October 8, 2016
I started reading this book, and wanted my husband to start implementing a few of the techniques. I downloaded the instant video from Amazon that follows the book and watched it with hubby. Thank you so much for the recommendation as I don't want to become a mother that replies, "no," "stop," "wait," and "un-ugh" after all the energy is spent. The movie was a little dated; the techniques were positively timeless! Thanks again.
on July 31, 2015
It is interesting and I am not disappointed that we bought this, however, it did not seem to be as informative as the first DVD, Happiest Baby on the Block. It was still helpful though. The concept of Toddler-ese is working for us some of the time.
on March 8, 2016
My husband and I were very happy with Happiest Baby on the Block; the 5S's were a lifesaver. However, we tried some of the techniques in the Happiest Toddler on the Block, and they didn't work for us. In theory, I can see how they might work for some people, but it wasn't the right fit for our toddler.
on July 14, 2014
This book is a must read for anyone with a pre toddler or toddler. I am not saying it can stop tantrums etc but at least it can give you a look inside what is like to be a toddler. I am sure it is frustrating to be little and not be able to communicate or not do what big people do etc. I appreciate his view point. I love happiest baby on the block!!!
on September 14, 2004
After reading Dr. Harvey Karp's book, "The Happiest Baby on the Block," and watching that DVD - and having great success using his methods with our newborn - I was anxious to read and watch this follow-up volume. I read the book, "The Happiest Toddler on the Block," first, which I recommend, to get the nitty-gritty on his methods and to understand the "whys" behind his methods. It takes awhile to get through the book and have it well absorbed, but it is certainly time well spent since it will save you from three or more years of headaches!

I was so impressed by the book that I decided to buy this DVD in order to see real-life examples of his methods. I was not disappointed. This DVD offers a great overview/review of the book, real-life examples with parents and toddlers, and thoroughly covers the main points (such as "Toddler-ese" and "The Fast Food Rule") as well as most of the side topics (such as "Feeding the Meter" and "Gossiping"). Again, it is time and money well spent since it will help save you from headaches and public embarrassment! And more importantly, you will begin to form a foundation of open communication and mutual trust with your child as you learn to communicate love and respect to him - in his own language - instead of resorting to more violent or forceful forms of parenting. I only wish that Amazon.com would bundle "The Happiest Toddler" book with "The Happiest Toddler" DVD, instead of bundling Dr. Karp's two books together and his two DVDs together. I agree with the other reviewers that you really should read the book, too, to get the most out of what he is teaching here. But everything by Dr. Karp is wonderful, easy-to-understand, highly effective, and trustworthy. His methods are not gimmicky; he really understands kids and you'll understand yours better after learning this material. My daughter is about to turn one and I already connect with her better by using Toddler-ese!

What else would you expect from a friendly pediatrician who always (and I mean ALWAYS) wears blue shirts?!? =)
0Comment| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2013
I am a new grandmother to a 1-1/2 year old, who can be quite a challenge at times. I enjoyed this DVD; especially on how to handle a toddler who is pitching a fit in a way that makes you appreciate the child's point of view. I have successfully used the technique where you sort of mimic their frustration on the same level as the toddler at the same time they are throwing their fit (yes, I even used the childish baby voice and everything). It's kind of hard to explain unless you watch the DVD, but the result was that it kind of startled, distracted and stopped her dead in her tracks (not to mention the neighboring diners.) This has worked like a charm for me at home and in restaurants. You may need to do it several times before they settle down, but I find the trick is to do it before she reaches that "red zone" or the point of no return where nothing I do will get her to stop quickly. If I took anything away from this program, it is this technique. It has worked well so far; that alone was worth the price of the DVD.
on July 30, 2015
What pure drivel...love his first book & video, "Happiest Baby on the Block". That book is so helpful. This toddler one I feel, after having my own toddlers and also previously a daycare/preschool worker, that this book does nothing but placate to a child's moods & whims. Yes, simplify your speech to make sure toddler's understand you but how patronizing to treat them like stupid cavemen. This is a "one size fits all" mentality that I avoid. My oldest as a toddler would have hated being talk to in such a manner. My now almost 3 yr old only understands you calming him down first. When I "match" him tone & words it makes him more upset because he sees me as the loving authority & he looks to me for guidance.

Children need tons of love and discipline (love & discipline at least being equal at the least the more love the better to make up for discipline) at this age & to act like they just have a right to do whatever they want will lead to trouble as they will refuse to be controlled later.

I see this book leading to some frustrated parents, as a strong-willed child or emotiohally sensotive child would not do well with this method he teaches.
on September 11, 2015
I read the book and watched the video 3 times. I have a "spirited" toddler. He just becomes more enraged and upset when I try this technique. I thought I was doing it wrong so I watched a few more times. It did not help my 2 year old or me! Maybe it works for other kids. Good luck!