Industrial Deals Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on August 31, 2014
I read the happiest baby on the block when my baby was four months old. As a working & nursing mom I was so sleep deprived & desperate to find a solution. I gave my husband the cliff notes version & day 1 there was such a difference! We have used Dr. Karps methods literally everyday since. I even emailed him asking a question & he emailed me back which was pretty cool to hear back from Dr. Karp himself. Now our baby is 13 months & we're seeing bits & pieces of her toddler phase already. My husband & I watched the happiest toddler on the block the other night before bed & have been trying out what we learned only for the last two days. I can already tell when my daughter is upset & we use his methods she looks at me like 'mommy you understand me!' Dr. Karp has made us feel like we know what we're doing as parents or at least for that small moment we do.
on December 6, 2015
Too many of us believe that the terrible twos illustrate spoiled children. Dr. Karp teaches you respectful parenting which proves that heavy handed discipline is not necessary or even beneficial. Gentle teaching helps your child develop stronger character, stronger social skills, and resilience. Respectful and understanding of the fact that children have primitive brains, and are too often lost in a sea of confusion and struggle to communicate. Although it is a very different way to think about your relationship with your child, it is effective and has long term results. In fact, these ideas are also useful for your efforts to understand your teenager (teenagers are also developing emotional and communication skills, combined with that stew of hormones (creating emotional havoc.) The reflective process demonstrated is also useful for interaction with autistic children and angry adults. :)
on November 30, 2007
It doesn't make much sense at all that this video is sold separately from the book of the same name. I have read the book three times, and the book works well as a stand-alone reference; however, having the video alongside would have made the book much more valuable and understandable. Karp's demonstrations of toddlerese are laughter-inducing to us adults but provide the clearest example of what he sets forth in his book. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of parents who read the book or watch this video can't move beyond the "embarrassing" toddlerese. Dr. Karp addresses this in the video by asking the parents bluntly if they would rather do something that works or care more about what others think in public. Too bad the video doesn't emphasize that more often!

I actually would have liked the video to be longer and to feature longer toddler meltdown sessions with Dr. Karp at the helm. The way the current video is edited only partially satisfies. The Q&A section of the video is a bit redundant in places, but it does a good job at *quickly answering* the most obvious questions that parents would have about implementing Karp's method.

Multiple viewings of this video are necessary, I believe, and I would recommend this video to anyone who has read the book. I would not recommend this video to parents who have not read the book.
on October 8, 2016
I started reading this book, and wanted my husband to start implementing a few of the techniques. I downloaded the instant video from Amazon that follows the book and watched it with hubby. Thank you so much for the recommendation as I don't want to become a mother that replies, "no," "stop," "wait," and "un-ugh" after all the energy is spent. The movie was a little dated; the techniques were positively timeless! Thanks again.
on December 31, 2017
This follow up to Happiest Baby on the Block is disappointing. Only about 30 min long, this video gives some general advice and seems like it was slopped together so that Karo could make another product. I loved Happiest Baby and had high expectations, but this is inadequate.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 14, 2016
We loved the happiest baby on the block book/DVD but the toddler version just did not work for us. Throwing a temper tantrum like he does isn't the solution for our family. May work for some, unfortunately not for us.
on June 8, 2017
A must gift for new parents. Companion piece to "Happiest Baby on the Block.Have been in Labor and Delivery for three decades. I bought this for my new moms to watch. Rave reviews.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 26, 2016
Great quick summary of key points from the book. I read the book and knew it would be easier to get my husband on board if he got to watch a movie instead of reading the whole book, haha. His methods work well so far!
on May 28, 2007
We are two working parents, so patience and time are frequently limited. I much prefer to use words that expand her vocabulary, not baby words. So, imagine my surprise when I heard that part of the technique was using simple words and phrases, repetition and matching the emotions of the child. Despite the positive praises in the DVD, I was still skeptical.

As I was watching the video, my husband was bringing my two year old toddler up the stairs to bed. She was wailing and he was using his best firm voice. I rushed in the room and used the technique. This child stopped and looked at me like I was a crazy person. She then ran over to me and gave me a hug. I then told her that it was time to go to bed and asked her to help me take off her shoes. Battle #1 over.

As is the norm in our house, the toddler gets in the crib and bounces, sings and calls out to us for 30 - 60 minutes EVERY Night. So, I go into the room and using the technique (even though this is not a true tantrum). After I ackn her desire not to go to sleep, I tell her that it is night-night time and ask for a hug before she goes to sleep. She gives me a hug, grabs her blanket and places her head on the pillow. I rushed to my computer to share the joy. She's not even singing herself to sleep.

Despite the silly feeling of matching your child's emotions and simplified language, it really seems to work because the child realizes that you understand what they are feeling. Geez, this is the same stuff they teach in all communication (interpersonal skills) classes.

Give it a try. It's worth every penny. Oh, I bought the video instead of the book, because I wanted to see the techniques in action. I may pick up a used copy of the book to remind me of the techniques. There are a few and since we have a couple of additional years to survive, it's nice to have an easy reference.
on December 9, 2015
Dr. Karp does a great job explaining the techniques to manage toddlers. Some concepts are basic and just make sense. He balances the parent's responses with positive time with your child. Video is varied with instructions, examples and lists. Packaged well with chapter list printed.