Truck Season Automotive Beauty Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 8, 2014
This was without a doubt the best of a half dozen "vegan" or plant-based cookbooks I had ordered or perused. Some of the author's dishes have become household regulars here. They include the incredibly tasty and nutritious Hippie Meatloaf, the fabulous tasting and so easy to make Portobello Steaks and the wonderful tasting Fettuccine Alfredo. For those who opt for plant-based meals, there is no longer a reason to proclaim what you do not eat. Instead, many of us using this cookbook proudly announce the many delightful dishes we do eat. We particularly like that Lindsay Nixon, the author, adheres strongly to the science behind that shown in the documentary Forks Over Knives and her recipes encourage little or no oil and using parchment paper for baking. She also is a strong advocate for using natural fruits, vegetables and grains. This is the number one cookbook among my many others grabbed in haste.
on October 24, 2011
I own a pile of vegan cookbooks. This one is my everyday, go-to cookbook. The recipes are well written and delicious. I was originally on Amazon to buy a different low-fat vegan book written by a prominent vegan cookbook writer... a reviewer on the Web site of that book mentioned Happy Herbivore. I hopped over to Lindsay's blog, Web site & facebook page and was sold immediately!

Nixon is not afraid to use garlic and onion powder for some things. This is normal, busy family sort of cooking here. I love it. She has these short cuts that I always ask, "why didn't I think of that?!". Take for example her Instant Applesauce- basically toss an apple in the food processor then use- what a freakishly easy idea when you need applesauce immediately.

Don't be fooled by the 'low-fat' moniker, the food is plain yummy and it just happens to have no or low fat. It obvious the author LOVES to eat and isn't interested in depriving herself or folks who own her book. The serving sizes are substantial! I really dig her single serving dessert and her instant cookie dough.

If you are interested in a healthier way of life or just want plain, good food, buy this book. The author is down-to-earth (read her blog, ask her questions on facebook, she'll personally answer you within hours or less, it's impressive) and her approach to a herbivore lifestyle is wonderful.
3 people found this helpful
on July 20, 2017
I've tried quite a few recipes from this book and found them rather nauseating... I really wanted to like this book because I have liked some of her other recipes such as corn bread but I feel these recipes are just random foods thrown together.
on June 2, 2014
I first bought 'Everyday Happy Herbivore' and loved it so much, I bought this one, too. There are a handful of repeat recipes, but not so many I felt like I wasted my money. Even thought 'Everyday Happy Herbivore' is designed to be "quick and easy" recipes, most of these are fairly quick and easy, too. Really, we haven't found a recipe we haven't liked, and we've never had a problem finding the ingredients all at one regular supermarket, which is really nice - so many vegan cookbooks require you to run all over town to fancy and expensive specialty grocery stores... I love that the recipes usually make pretty small portions, since it's just the two of us and we don't need a pile of leftovers. I also like that she provides the nutritional info like calories, protein, fat, etc.
on October 10, 2011
First I will say that I am not vegan, just a vegetarian, and looking for ways to lessen dairy, eggs, and cheese in my diet without too much work. I have some of the "fancier" vegan cookbooks that I like to use once in awhile, but I really like this cookbook based on the fact that I have many of the ingredients already, so I don't have to scour every natural food store for one obscure ingredient that is probably really expensive and that I'll only use once. I think the condiment section is just great, and now use something from it at least once a week. I make the ranch, mayo, smokey mayo that goes on the burritos and more all the time now. That "beef" broth recipe is just where it is at, I can't believe how much it resembles real beef broth.

I don't think I've had a cookbook where I made every single recipe all the time, but a good cookbook is one where you have some great stuff that you easily put into your daily routine. This is one of those in my collection. It also has a picture for every recipe, and right next to each recipe, which I absolutely love, so I have an idea of what the end product is supposed to look like. Any day of the week I can look at it and have most if not all the ingredients to make a good dinner. Also I'll say, for me, I absolutely hate "nooch." I don't drink or smoke, I eat cheese. To me nooch tastes nothing like cheese and just a whiff of it makes me nauseous. I know most vegans tend to love the stuff. However, in this book I actually tried the baked mac and cheese and I will make it again! There are lots of just great recipes in here that don't have me looking for some weird fresh herb or ingredient, are simple to put together and don't take forever to make. Whenever Ms. Nixon writes another, I will defiantly be buying that one next.
on January 9, 2015
This book is a whole foods plant based ultra healthy and healing classic. Every Christmas we have the Cinnamon Rolls. Almost every day I have the Red Lentil Dal. Eat it with Ezekiel Pita bread warmed in a microwave. There is just no comparison. Think of this as the original in Lindsay's series of sheer genius array of great cookbooks. You have to own it because this is where it all started. I can't tell you how Happy I am that I met the Happy Herbivore. You'll be Happy too. Give Lindsay a chance to blow your mind while she saves your body from chronic disease and excess fat. Lindsay is a genius in the kitchen and can make you one too. Get all her books and save your life!
on September 13, 2013
There are some great suggestions for meals in here - accented with colorful pictures that make the food look so tempting. I have made quite a few meals out of the book - unfortunately, every one has had to be tweaked quite a bit in order to be better than just ok. Some things need extra herbs and spices, and some just need that little bit of "fat" to be good. So, buy this book for IDEAS - but be very open to adding your own FLAVOR. I'm not talking about meat, cheese, or butter - it can stay vegan and still be incredible.
5 people found this helpful
on March 17, 2014
I took a break from doing a lot of cooking (my husband does most of it) but when I decided to go Vegan, I knew I needed to pitch in more (Hubby is still a meat-eater). I purchased this book and started cooking my way through it, at least two new recipes every week. "Biscuits" and "scones" are mostly pancake-ish, but the other baked goods have been satisfying. Many of the one-pot dinners were good, but the first FANTASTIC recipe I tried was for the roasted red-pepper sauce, which can be served with beans.

I recommend making not just a single recipe but a meal (several are suggested, particularly in the "tofu and meat substitutes" section. These were very good, and my admittedly-adventurous meat-eating-but-trying-to-lose-weight Hubby was happy with them.
on February 17, 2011
Very happy with the book! I've made a few recipes so far and been very pleased. I'm currently eating the broccoli pesto as I type, and it is delicious.

I've tried no-oil vegan cooking in the past years and never been quite satisfied with the results, but I'm really excited about cooking the HH way. Last night I made the low-fat chocolate chip cookies, and tho' I'm a ccc snob, these definitely will make me happy as I strive toward health and ideal body weight.

Another reviewer mentioned that the recipes are on the simpler side for advanced vegan cooks. While I agree this is a fair comment, I'm a multi-decade veg*n cook and I still found new ideas to learn from in HH. Plus, since I'm trying to reduce my weight, I figure I need to cut back on the fancy for now. And what cook doesn't need a reliable, quick and easy cookbook on her shelf? I have other cookbooks billed as such, but the recipes weren't half as good as HH.

I'm also very grateful Lindsay included calorie and nutrition info for the recipes. Its gotten so that will make or break my decision to buy a cookbook these days. Of course these are only estimates, but still they are a valuable tool in making good decisions about food. I love that HH's recipes are low fat and low calorie as well as vegan!
on July 13, 2015
I follow Happy Herbivore on FB and was delighted to see that she had a cookbook. My problem is with the kindle formatting. There is no organization to the book to be able to search for recipes. There is a Table of Contents with lists of recipes, but not alphabetized, so to find a recipe you have to scroll through entire list. There is an index, and recipes are listed alphabetically, but with no links to the recipe, so essentially worthless. I got the book for $1.99, so consider it a lesson learned. Happy Herbivore needs to get a better publisher/formatter.