Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 160 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 255 reviews
on September 9, 2015
Very interesting look at the status and situation of blacks in Revolutionary America--the convoluted relationships between slave and "master," especially in the plantation south. I did find it tedious in places, but the author certainly filled one in on the entire background of the Jefferson slaves. I've heard it said we "should have expected more from Jefferson," but I think the book makes it clear he was restricted to being a man of his time. He probably did the best he could with the situation he lived in.
on August 30, 2017
Fascinating history.
on May 9, 2015
It has a lot of information about social custom of the time. I like learning things about life in general and the book had a lot of fact we certainly didn't know about people and families in their century especially foreign custom. It was obvious that white had no idea that other races had any of the same feelings, desires, and needs of the white races. A totally eye opening view of Mr Jefferson.
on July 19, 2017
One of the best written and informative books I have read as late.
on April 24, 2013
Absolutely riveting. A great read, by a great writer. Painstakenly researched. Gives all African Americans a view
of the harsh reality of slavery & the dicotomy & split personality of Thomas Jefferson.

I started with Thomas Jefferson Creme Brule & found it lacking (it was from a white writers perspective). Then on
to Sally Hemmings a fictional novel by Barbara Chase Riboud. Utterly fascinating like watching a movie. That
made me search out the truth....hence, THE HEMINGSES OF MONTICELLO.

Sharon Burnett
on August 11, 2013
This is one of the best history books I've read in a long time. I've enjoyed reading this book because I'm learning some little known things about Jefferson and his relationship with the Hemings. When He said all men were created equal He meant his white brothers he felt all black men were inferior to the white man . He felt when a black man did well it was due to the white blood with in him. He did not recognize the slave as his equal and therefore did not wish him to be free. This book showed a side of Jefferson that was not in the history books that I read and even though this book respects his knowledge and leadership that helped to form this country she also tells us The truth of his meanings the book has brought new light to a subject that I love and will make me want to explore more to learn more.
on July 18, 2017
Very thorough and interesting history but gets a bit bogged down at times. Well worth the effort, though.
on August 15, 2017
This is a scholarly and important book to understand the implications of slavery
on our country.....even today.
on May 8, 2013
This is a book that I feel needed to be written and it was written by a fair minded person sympathetic to the mores of the time as well as the morality of all times. My only complaint is that too often I felt like screaming,"just get on with it, please." Nonetheless it deserves a very wide readership; there is a lot here we all need to think about long and hard. And not because it is about what happened two centuries ago, but because it is just as much about our future.
on April 15, 2013
I am only about half way through with this book but believe it to be more inferred information than what we actually know. Since very little written information is in existence about Sally Hemmings and Jefferson's papers have been edited to not include her the author did not have much to work with. I was really looking forward to learning more about the Hemings family, though this book focuses more on Sally. Perhaps the second half will include family members too!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse