Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Heritage of Shannara
Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 26, 2017
All four of the books were written wonderfully the Heritage of Shannara. First began with charge from Alloan to the Omsferd then in book 2 and 3 all those charges being filled and fighting begun with shawodon and in book 4 it come to conclusions by get rid of the shadowsdon by realising the magic captured by shadowdon
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Good series. Solid entry in the Shannara series.

I first read the Sword of Shannara back in 1978 and enjoyed it immensely. I've read some unkind reviews saying it was a "ripoff" of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, but nothing could be further from the truth. If by that they mean that the pattern is the same - mythical people on a quest guided by wise wizard - then Tolkien would have to be a ripoff of earlier writers.

In truth, that pattern is repeated many times in literature and other entertainment. Star Wars would have to be in that theme as well. Does that make Star Wars a ripoff? No, it stads on its own as good storytelling - as do the books in the Shannara series.

Since I read The Sword, I've also read Wishsong and Elfstones and Heritage wraps up the series quite nicely. Heritage is actually a compendium of four books which finish the various storylines and bring the series to a conclusion. There's some room for growth and the Shannara series could go off in a number of directions but for now, I have to say that Heritage was a good read and I can recommend it.
on April 17, 2015
Terry Brooks has improved a great deal as a writer, his earlier efforts can be somewhat inconsistent in having a compelling plot and good characterization. In this particular work, one of the major plotlines has almost no effect on the resolution, which is rather unsatisfying. That said, many of the characters are more fleshed out than in the first Shannara trilogy, with the exception of the main villain. He gets more attention than earlier villains in this series, which ironically makes him less compelling, as Brooks did not seem to know quite what to do with him.
on July 25, 2017
Read this series the first time 20some years ago. I bought the series again remembering how I enjoyed it before. I'm enjoying it again. A lot I forgot about but it is still an amazing series.
on November 6, 2017
Since the mid-eighties, he's held me captivated. The manner in which he dovetails history and weaves the different epocs together keeps me hooked!
on December 28, 2011
You don't actually need my review of the story; there are plenty of others. It's a good story. However, the formatting of the Kindle edition is terrible.

First, the table of contents simply consists of the book titles of the four novels in this edition. No chapters, just the start of each book. Inconvenient, but not uncommon.

Second, and much worse: there are no breaks in between paragraphs (i.e., double space) when there is a change of scene or change of character point-of-view. It's a very difficult read without this simple formatting necessity, because it's seldom immediately obvious from the narrative that there has been a scene change. The result is confusion until you realize that something doesn't add up, then you have to go back and re-read from where the break should have been.
on January 20, 2016
I have always loved the Shannara books and was very excited when I could get them on my kindle! Now I can carry all the books in this set together. I could never pick a favorite trilogy, but I have to admit that Walker Boh is probably my favorite character in Shannara.
on June 14, 2016
I read this series a long time ago and they still are wonderful. A problem when reading all of them together or at once is they start to get formulaic, but still enjoyable. I like the first trilogy better though
on January 21, 2016
As a devout fan of the Lord of the Rings, I was a bit skeptical that anything would pique my interest in the way that these books did throughout my childhood, adolescence, and adult years. Terry Brroks' novels were recommended to me. While nothing will ever match up entirely to the trilogy and The Hobbit, I would highly recommend the works of Brooks. His stories are compelling and captivating. He has an uncommon ability to pull the reader in and root for his heroes much in the same way as Tolkien did for me so many years ago.
on November 7, 2014
This is a great story, full of suspense, treachery, triumphs, and love. The storyline always stays consistent with previous stories. I'm sure that keeping all the adventures of each character straight and moving forward in the story timeline is not easy. Terry Brooks does a great job with keeping it all straight without getting the story out of sync.

Regarding the complete series rolled into one volume, this is a great feature. I have read this story previously via the individual books. Having it compiled into one book makes it so much easier to read the entire series all the way through without having to go get the next book. Great Idea to combine the series into a single book!