Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 11, 2015
Since David Ellis was a new author to me and because I had very recently been so disappointed by several other new authors' highly-rated novels, I read the plot descriptions and many of the reviewers' comments for each of the 4 books in this series before I made the plunge. Of those 4 novels, I chose to read the one with the highest rating among the largest number of reviewers:"The Last Alibi". Now you might disagree with that methodology, and I'm quick to admit it has its drawbacks. I did truly enjoy reading that book, which kept my interest piqued to the very last page with its inventive twists and turns. Yes, I did have a few criticisms, but they were relatively innocuous so I gave it a rating of 4.5 stars.
Then I read "The Hidden Man," which is Book 1 of this series. Yes, I realize that's an unusual approach, but I was mostly interested to learn how much the author had grown and how much his writing had improved by comparing the two. Although Book 1 was an enjoyable read, its flaws were quite obvious - from character development, plot structure, continuity mistakes, and events that just defy belief. So I feel that 3.5 stars is a very fair rating.

Just as you would expect or at least would hope, this author has come a long way from the first book to the fourth.
BUT if you intend to read just ONE book in this series, I highly recommend "The Last Alibi" as a very good choice.
on January 31, 2015
I've only recently become acquainted with David Ellis and his guys - especially, of course, Jason. I'm currently reading about Paul Riley. I have been really impressed by the complexity of the stories and the multiple elements hanging just out of reach of the reader until the exact moment they can appear and catch one completely unawares (which is my kind of mystery)! I love the twists and turns and unexpected reveals, and the fact that everything is not handed to you on a silver platter, or continually hinted at or repeated. Then in reading some information about Mr. Ellis himself, I realized the Illinois / Chicago connection and some of the criminal elements he has dealt with, and it became clear where his plots must originate -- and I am sure he has a lot of inspiration on a daily basis! And at one point I was reading a James Patterson book and thought it was even more intricate and intriguing than usual, and saw that he had co-authored it with none other than ... David Ellis. Thanks for your excellent books, Mr. Ellis -- please, please keep up the great work!
on April 5, 2017
Author David Ellis in no longer the hidden man. Can't even begin to say how much I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Next to read is the second book in this series.
on November 15, 2017
Excellent lawyer story. Fast paced. Absorbing with who done it issues to the end. Decent subplots. A former friend asks for help in a murder he says he didn’t commit. Quick read.
on July 21, 2017
What can I say? I enjoy the Kolarich series.
on July 9, 2015
Finally, someone who knows how to write a good novel. Self publishing has ruined the market with poorly written and ill conceived books. While I had never thought about the service which was provided by book publishers, the lack of them has allowed the market to be flooded with a great amount of books seemingly written by hacks. Maybe now I can stop reading all of the novels by James Lee Burke again and again to read Mr. Ellis's once. When I read his second one I sincerely hope this will remain true.
on May 14, 2017
Not one of my favorite authors.
on September 21, 2017
It got off to a slow start, but WOW what a finish. I'll be reading more of his books. I like his style.
on August 9, 2017
Great product and excellent service
on November 13, 2017
A well written treat with an interesting and engaging hero. As the tale evolves a highly complex plot and puzzle is brought to a satisfying conclusion.
Highly recommended.