Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,275 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,873 reviews
on June 22, 2016
I was absolutely absorbed by this book. I looked forward to every time I picked it up to read. I must start by saying that I am Jewish and absolutely do NOT share the religious views of Corrie Ten Boom. But, this story is so engrossing and moving that my religious views were irrelevant. This is the remarkable story of a remarkable family that literally laid their lives out to save Jews in Holland during WWII. These are people I wish I could hug. Don't be put off by the religious views expressed. Those views caused heroic people to show mercy and empathy in the most brutal period in recent history. The views were not preachy. I only wish that I could do something good for any person that would give respect for the wonderful people in this story.
22 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2017
Whether you are Jew, Christian, Catholic or pagan, this book of history is enlightening for your journey. There are spiritual mentions that shouldn't keep you from reading this book. Just as you would sit respectfully in front of an aunt at a Holiday feast listening politely to a tale, so shall you listen to this one in all its entirety. Every story should be heard. Tin Boom's story holds your attention from concert to cover, bringing you along as if you feel sorrow and joy along side. Encourage others to read it like I was encouraged to read it. Pass history on so that love is spread no matter what religion you are.
on September 21, 2017
This is not a mass merchandized book! It's has a few photos of the ten boom family and addendums written by people who knew and worked with Corrie after her death. It is the anniversary edition. I enjoyed the triumphant nature of the story and could feel the spirit all these years later.
on December 29, 2014
"Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word."
--Psalm 119 : 114

Psalm 119 and verse 114 is where the title of this book is derived from. Everyone & Anyone can be inspired by this story. But it has enhanced meaning for those that love Christ and those that study Black History. Since I meet both conditions, this book has a double impact upon me. First to those that study Black History, you might be asking how & why? As this story takes place in occupied Holland during World War 2. To my knowledge, there's not a single character of African Descent in this story. However, when you study the Underground Railroad and their illegal activities during slavery, in the United States. Their activities took place just prior to the Civil War, we'll find that the parallels are amazing. When we apply Dr. Martin Luther King's definitions, we can begin to see it as the forces of light against the forces of darkness. Using that definition, there is a strong relationship and can be viewed as the same struggle for Human Rights. William Still, who was a conductor of the Underground Railroad (who's book I also purchased from Amazon) also quoted a scripture in his authentic narratives he later published. Deuteronomy 23: 15 says, "Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee." The next verse goes on to say, "He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him." The Hiding Place was also an Underground Movement operated by the same principles. When I read Casper Ten Boom's (the author's father) words to the German Oppressors that he would not turn away any in need that come knocking on his door...I hear the same sentiments coming from Thomas Garrett a White Man & Abolitionist who answered the Oppressive Majority in the same way. Although stripped of his money and everything he had, Garrett proudly proclaimed that he would befriend a runaway slave and anybody in need. In this age of ego & selfishness, such words and sentiments are inspiring indeed. The Hiding Place is a story of doing the right thing even though you know that you're going to be caught eventually. For those that follow Christ, the scriptures already illustrate the connection. However, we see God's presence throughout this story. God didn't stop doing miracles after the Bible was released. They are all through the Hiding Place. In prison, Betsie Ten Boom (Corrie Ten Boom, the author's sister) has a limited supply of medication. Which she was more than willing to share with her fellow inmates. The bottle never ran out, until another inmate managed to secure some more of it. While Corrie was trying to figure it out, Betsie knew it could only be the power of God. I'm truly inspired by the faithfulness of Betsie Ten Boom. It was revealed from the beginning that she had health problems and was unable to bear children. She was not of good health and incarcerated for doing the right thing, yet she had joy and peace in the midst of the jail and was thanking God for everything! She even thanked God for the fleas that were biting them. While, I agreed with the author that this was extreme, the fleas did turn out to be a Blessing! They had more autonomy at this installation because of the fleas. The Fleas also kept the German Soldiers, who would rape them, away! But the best shout, they saved for last. Betsie died in prison, in perfect peace, but Corrie was later released. Corrie Ten Boom was to discover years later that her release turned out to be a clerical error. She was actually scheduled to die, in the gas chambers. For those that trust God, we know that God doesn't make mistakes! Corrie Ten Boom was released, so she could as Betsie said, "Tell everyone about this." Also, that the power of love is greater than hate!
on July 25, 2015
I went on a retreat for the first time with my friends, and, out of the whole weekend, hearing about this book is the only thing I remember. I came home, bought it, read it, and bought copies for everyone I know. I keep at least 4 copies in my house at all times and give it to anyone who needs inspiration, faith, and hope. I can't praise this book enough. It's unbelievable that there are monsters who actually lived in the world, and were honored for their acts of terror toward other human beings. Yet, Corrie's sister was able to keep her faith throughout the horror, the abomination, the absolute hatred that was aimed at people who were chosen by one man.
The story reads like a novel written by a teenager. It's hard to believe that the author was in her 50's when she wrote it. It's an easy read, but the story isn't easy to hear. I think you have to read it more than once. It took me a couple times, because there are so many awful things you're reading about, especially if it's the first Holocaust novel, that I didn't pick up on everything.

Please, read this book!!!! Should be required reading in high school. Thank God for the fleas.
on February 17, 2016
One of the best books I have ever read! I first read this story years ago, but it has been updated and has more photos. I saw the movie in the late 1970's and it had such an influence on me. Sometimes in life we get discouraged from even small things. After reading about the experiences of a family during WWII, it helps me to remember that if these people lived through those years and kept their minds alert, trusted the faith, and helped so many people and came out of this horrible time in history with love in their hearts, then it gave me hope during the hardships I have gone through since then. It is one of those books you hate to put down for very long and wished it was longer. I don't think you will be disappointed in reading this book. And at the same time, you get a glimpse of part of the true history during the war that you don't get in school. Great Read!
on March 13, 2017
This book is a fantastic read! Corrie Ten Boom's unwavering faith in God, while in the midst of absolute evil and despair, will humble anybody. Would you, could you, sacrifice your own safety and well-being for the safety and "freedom" of others? I love this book so much I sent a copy to my mother.
on August 22, 2017
This is truly one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. There is page after page of inspiring insights. In the paperback book I have so many pages dog eared and sentences and paragraphs underlined. I have found great peace, comfort and inspiration in the lives of Corrie, Betsy, Casper and the rest of their family. These wonderful people have graced my life and made me a better person. I would recommend this book to everyone, young or old because age does not matter. Anyone will become a truer Christian and simply a better person by becoming lost in the glorious lives of these wonderful people.
on March 31, 2017
There is no place that God cannot reach with His mercy and grace, even in a concentration camp in the middle of "hell on earth" He holds His children and brings them through. What a glorious God He is.
on December 27, 2015
Every human being should read this book, especially if you're 10 years and older. I had my 6th grader read it (as well as my 15 year old) and it made a strong impact on them. They both picked up different points, but it is clear that Gods word has guided this family and they have walked the walk. Mrs ten Boom has lived the command to "love others" in a way that our modern society cannot seem to grasp. She has demonstrated a love for people to the extent that she sacrificed everything to help people who were not of her faith. How much better would our world be if we had an ounce of her commitment to faith! Plus as an added bonus, I was able to sneak in an assignment, for an autobiography, that actually has valuable lessons in character traits that are so obviously missing from celebrities and other current autobiographies.