BCA Month Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 6, 2016
As an HSP myself, reading "The Highly Sensitive Child" offered invigorating insight into the mind and heart of my oldest daughter, who is also highly sensitive. For many years, she and I have butted heads over nearly everything, and after reading this book, I was both humbled and empowered to reach her in a new way.

Dr. Elaine Aron's practical tips in each chapter, particularly breaking down the developmental age groups, were refreshing, clear, and easy to implement. My husband and I have been discussing, at length, how we can foster our daughter's gifts in a more meaningful way and reframe her sensitivity as neutral, rather than the perceived "bad" that the world defines it as.

My favorite aspect of the book included recognizing how highly sensitive children require lots of rest, breaks, and sleep; that they thrive within a routine and usually need help transitioning with life changes; how to help them cope with verbal or social aggression at school; and ways to facilitate conversation with older children or role play with younger ones. Our daughter was bullied in preschool, and my husband and I approached her teacher, to no avail. Had I read this book beforehand, I would have been able to offer concrete solutions on how to understand and help HSCs with the "teacher tips" at the end of the book.

Having read "The Highly Sensitive Person" before "The Highly Sensitive Child," I would "highly" recommend both books, especially if a parent suspects that his/her child may be highly sensitive, as well. Both together offer a full picture into understanding oneself and children who may have been labeled "shy" (which is situational), but who are actually just sensitive.

A great read for parents and teachers alike.
on September 27, 2017
This book is very helpful to parents/family members with a highly sensitive child (I was one, back in the 1960s, and I wish my parents had understood this better). However, it can lead to parents saying things like, "He won't eat that..." or "He won't do that..." because of the sensitivity, which isn't always true--be practical!
on February 28, 2016
Pretty good book. Helps you understand how to be sensitive and kind to your child who may be a little more emotional and sensitive and not react the way the world thinks he/she "should".
on October 3, 2017
I don't agree with all of the author's world views, but have been enormously enlightened by her thorough treatment of a subject I was completely ignorant about. My children are grown, but I have recommended the book to my sister, who very definitely has a highly sensitive 11 year old, and she ordered it right away.
on April 22, 2017
Amazon book for parents and those who work with children. The importance of temperament is an important message throughout.
on August 15, 2017
This book helped address many of the issues that my child was and is experiencing. In addition, it made me think about my own highly sensitive traits and how these were addressed when was growing up. Also, I purchased this book for my child's preschool teacher.
on October 17, 2016
Very informative and helpful to know that you're not alone in this
on September 7, 2017
Really enjoyed this read, even thought I felt like I understood a fair amount being a HSP myself there were some great ideas and suggestions in here that will most definitely help me build up my children and allow them to develop into confident adults. Thank you!
on April 22, 2014
It's the first time I find a book so helpful. I am extremely moved by it. It's full of useful hints about how to overcome your HS child's fears, about how to defend his rights when it comes to ignorant outside comments and so on...I highly recommend it and I would like to thank Elaine Aron for offering such a guidance.
on June 28, 2017
This book was purchased in both formats. It is proving to be quite a tool. I'm learning a lot about the young person I targeted as well as my own issues. Thanks!