Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on March 11, 2012
Before listening to this, note that discs 2 and 3 of the Secondary Phase are mislabeled. The one imprinted "Secondary Phase Disc 2 of 3" is actually disc 3, and the one imprinted "3 of 3" is actually disc 2. Because the audio itself doesn't contain any mention of episode numbers, the mistake may not be immediately obvious when you're listening, until partway through (the apparent) "disc 2" you realize that either the plot isn't making sense or you must have missed something. Given that even under ideal circumstances the phrase "plot isn't making sense or you must have missed something" generally describes much of listening to Hitchhikers anyway, the mistake may not be at all evident on first listening. Or third listening. So make sure to relabel your discs 2 and 3 so that you listen to them in the correct order.

Five stars for the content, one star off for the BBC not managing to label the discs correctly.
on December 10, 2008
Updated Info:

Upgrade to 5 stars!

After finally getting around to listening to Quandary and Quintessential CDs from this set I found both are actually extended versions that are a vast improvement over the original 30-minute radio broadcasts that I have heard previously.

Quandary and Quintessential phases in the original 30 minute radio format seem rushed and feel incomplete due to time constraints required to meet the 30 minute length. The extended versions of Quandary and Quintessential in this collection fill in all the missing gaps and make listening truly satisfying. The extra cut in Quandary alone add up to over 23 minutes!

A must have for any H2G2 fan.

Original Review:

I purchased this set to condense my own copies spread over Cd's, tape and MP3s. Packaging is all paper/paperboard so that aspect comes up short since it will deteriorate with use. Primary and Secondary phases have been remixed/edited so they are not the exact original radio show and some purists might not be happy. With cast and track listing for each phase but no other extras or info except the Douglass Adams interview. If you already own these on CD there is no reason to upgrade. If you have old tapes or low rez MP3s the Amazon price is well worth it and you should upgrade.
on December 7, 2012
I first heard this radio show around 1980. I kept a cassette tape of it and had it nearly memorized. After enough moves I could no longer find it. My kids were beginning to enjoy the other forms of this story, and I wanted to share the original show with them. Lady Cynthia-Fitsmilton, the enlightened liberal cops who know all about sensitivity and everything, out of my way little robot, other bits that haven't made it into the other versions. We're all enjoying a chapter or two on the drive to school.

I forgot how often he dredged up "what the hell", "bloody hell," "a hell of a lot." Words are tools. Sometimes they're not as sharp as you'd like.
on March 21, 2016
Everything Douglas Adams touched turned to pure gold. If you haven't heard of this, you're either very young, or living in a cave with a rabbit bone in your beard. Quick! Wave your towel at the Place In Cart button and rescue yourself from your mundane life. Cooey....Cooey!
on December 9, 2010
On Wednesday, March 8th, 1978, listeners to BBC Radio 4 first learned about what is perhaps the most remarkable, certainly the most successful book ever to come out of the great publishing corporations of Ursa Minor, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy.

Now, you can own the complete BBC Radio series and hear how it all started.

Much of the early material presented here comes before the books, before the TV series and definitely before the movie.

If you think you know it all, think again.

The primary and secondary phases of the radio series will be somewhat familiar, but, especially in the secondary phase, Arthur, Ford Prefect and the other characters are taken in a completely different direction from the books or the movie.

In the secondary phase, join Zaphod as he visits Wormhole Disco. Follow Arthur, Ford Prefect and the rest as they visit the planet Brontitol (not sure of the spelling), and hear Arthur's reaction as he sees a 15-mile high statue of himself.

See who else they meet up with on Brontitol.

You'll get to meet some characters that you won't find in the books, TV series or the movie.

Don't expect total continuity between the original radio series and the more modern continuation. There are differences which could not totally be reconciled.

However, don't let this stop you from enjoying the ride as you hitchhike the galaxy for less then30 Altairian Dollars a day. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy this romp through the galaxy that you'll never forget. Make sure you know where your towell is, and, above all, don't panic!
on October 10, 2014
Would I get as many comics pages drawn if I'd never had this? Stick in the earphones, drift along with Douglas Adams' bemused characters, throughout the whole radio series - and that's the only one to get. Just get it. You'll be happy.
on December 10, 2009
The Hitchhikers Guide complete BBC radio series is excellent. I have wanted it for a very long time. I first heard it on Public Radio over twenty years ago. It goes way beyond the tv series or the movie. It takes you to places that the video versions don't even hint about. I have a 300 disc cd player and The Hitchhikers Guide has taken permanent residence in it.
Douglas Adams has an imagination unlike any other. If we all could be as warped as he was there wouldn't be nearly as much crap going on in the world. Get The Hitchhikers Guide BBC radio series and take a millenium to chill out and listen to it.
on February 10, 2014
I used to listen to this as a young teen every Sunday with my father as we drove through the country, and it is just as wonderful now as it was back then. Even better because now I can share it with my children who laugh just as much as I did when I first heard it. Top notch radio series by BBC, that will never get old.
on September 24, 2012
I can't find the words to express how tickled and gratified I am finally to have heard this marvelous audio dramatization of the whole Hitchhiker's adventures. Among all the incarnations of this series, the BBC radio rendition is head and shoulders above all the rest, and that's saying a lot. I hope other listeners who have heard it find as much enjoyment as I have done.
on June 20, 2013
I bought this shortly after reading the first book in the series. After listening to the first two fits (or episodes), I found it to be far superior to the book. I still need to listen to the rest of the series, but it's recommended for fans of the book and science fiction in general.