Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 141 reviews
on May 4, 2014
I was hesitant to purchase this cookbook because I was so afraid to be disappointed....her first Homesick Texan cookbook was so amazing that I thought my expectations would be too high. After all, the sequel is never as good as the original....but I'm happy to admit that I was wrong!
I noticed one reviewer said that her recipes aren't original...I disagree...they are original because Texas is the only place where you can get the multitude of foods that are presented in this book. Another reviewer said that the breakfast section is typical American recipes...not sure what state that reviewer lives in but Lisa's breakfast are not typical American...they are Texan! I moved out of state 6 months ago and miss Texas meals so much. It's amazing how quickly I began to forget some of my favorite foods because they just aren't served in restaurants here.
Potatoe and chorizo breakfast tacos, jalapeño corn sticks, sausage and pepper breakfast casserole. Peach salsa, sausage and shrimp jambalaya, ancho chile shrimp quesadillas, beer-battered fish tacos, pollo as ado, chicken spaghetti, steak fingers with jalapeño creamed gravy....the list goes on and on. These are common foods that texans can order at almost any restaurant but most of us don't have the recipes.
I completely respect others opinions...don't get me wrong...living outside of Texas for the last 6 months; knowing that I can't just hop in my car and drive to the closest hole-in-the-wall for some good old fashioned Texan comfort food makes me appreciate this book even more. If you want the recipes to your favorite Texas foods...especially if your homesick like me...dont hesitate to buy this cookbook...you will have no regrets:)
on April 2, 2014
Few cookbooks have me using up multiple pads of little sticky notes to flag recipes I can't wait to try. The first Homesick Texan cookbook was one of those few, and now the second one is the same. The photography is beautiful and the recipes run the full spectrum of diverse Lone Star cooking.
This cookbook a good balance between showcasing the classics you crave and offering a little twist to add a new dimension. The stories that accompany each chapter and recipe make homesick Texans truly miss home, but they also inspire the reader to make memories around the table today with those you care about. Kudos on another triumph, Lisa Fain.
on June 9, 2014
I saw this book in a touristy store in the historic German settlement of Fredericksburg, TX, and after perusing it just knew I had to have a copy... and I ordered it off Amazon Prime with my cell phone before I walked out of the store. A fantastic blend of traditional (and non-traditional) Tex-Mex fare, our family has enjoyed having "Homesick Texan's" dinner night once each week, trying a new recipe. If you have Venison to use up, there's even great recipes for you in here! But, overall, the book has recipes that use traditional ingredients, fantastic full-color illustrations of comfort-food fare, and fabulous stories to accompany them. This should be on your kitchen bookshelf!
The Homesick Texan's Family Table: Lone Star Cooking from My Kitchen to Yours is a delightfully written and illustrated cookbook by author Lisa Fain. You will be treated to plenty of Texas-style recipes and stories throughout her cookbook. Some of the recipes you will find in her cookbook include:

Chilaquiles in Black Bean Salsa
Great-Grandma Blanche's Chocolate Muffins
Plum Cobbler
Sweet Potato Pie
Mexican Chocolate Cake

There is an interactive table of contents making navigation easy.

Recommend.
on November 23, 2015
This is a great cookbook. My wife (a native Texan) uses it all of the time. We have another of her books and use it just as often. We have not had a "loser" from any of the recipes although a couple of them we had to tone down a bit on the heat from the chiles. We lived on the Texas Mexico border for about 6 years so are pretty familiar with this type of cuisine and cooking. We probably use one of her recipes a couple of times a month or more but we vary our cooking a lot. If you like Tex Mex food, these are great collections.
on August 25, 2014
I have lived in Texas and like everybody have my own Texas. Mine did not always (though often) include the kinds of foods I found in this book, at least in the quantity in which they're represented. If you like Tex-Mex, this is for you; if you want more of Texas, maybe not so much. The writing, however, is good, the personality of the writer very pleasant. Next edition, I'd venture further afield across more of the state and its specialties. I think the NY Times gave it a better rating than I did. On the one hand, they're very good. On the other, many of them haven't lived in Texas. It's a pretty good book, and with broader coverage would be even better.
on July 21, 2016
Bought this for a friend who moved away from our lovely state of Texas to the north and he loves this book. He has been teaching all his new friends about food down here. Great book, great recipes and the photographs are beautiful.
on April 24, 2014
I loved her first book, and have many of those recipes in my regular rotation. I've only had this book a few days, and I'm already planning to put a good number of these dishes on the table with regularity. We had the chicken and dumplings two nights ago, and they were wonderful (the cilantro in the dumplings was a great Texas touch). Next up, another Texas comfort food, the chicken spaghetti. And this book might just make me have to break down and buy a cast iron skillet.
on May 21, 2014
My son and I couldn't wait for the release of The Homesick Texan's Family Table. We had cooked our way through Ms. Fain's first book and were excited about all the new recipes. What a treat the new book is! My personal favorite recipe is the grapefruit pecan sheet cake, but the book is full of so many family-friendly recipes that each time I try a new dish out, it gets tabbed as a must make again recipe.
on April 13, 2014
Lisa Fain writes recipes that are easy to understand, complete, and absolutely delicious. Her latest book is amazing. I've made the choriqueso, chicken spaghetti, beer-battered catfish tacos, old-fashioned Texas hot sauce, and Poblano Buttermilk Dressing. Next up, I plan on making the pork chili verde and the jalapeno pimento cheese. This Chicagoan is falling in love with Texas through Lisa's amazing recipes. I also highly recommend her first book and her blog. Thank you, Lisa, for sharing your family and friends' potluck recipes.