Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8 reviews
on May 26, 2000
This book is great. It has a lot of great exercises and advice, and is very supportive. I did find that this book has been written for a narrow audience, a white closeted lesbian in her 30's. This is an audience that I just don't fit into. This book does try to address other audiences such as gay men, but does not handle it well. For those of you who fit into this book's audience, BUY IT! It's a great book. If you don't fit into this audience, you can buy it but might find that you can't relate to it as well.
on December 30, 2013
I first bought this book about 15 years ago. At the time, I was a kid trying to figure out my identity, and I found myself drawn to a whole culture I really didn't know anything about (sucks growing up out in the boonies, especially when you're "different"). This book was great: a fun, never-heavy-handed introduction to gay culture (of the late 1990's, anyway). It clarified a lot of vocabulary for me that made it easier for me to navigate the world I was finding myself in, and made me feel a lot more normal. Its humorous style was exactly what I needed to help me figure things out, without making things scarier than they already were.

Now, this book is more of a novelty than anything. It's pretty outdated, as the world has changed a lot in the nearly 20 years since it was published. It's not totally useless for people exploring their sexuality now, but it's more likely to appeal to people who were stepping out of the closet in the 1990's and want to look back, than to kids and adults in the same position now. Regardless, it's a great book and lots of fun to read, and certainly a hilarious coffee table book, if you aren't too self-conscious about the title.
on July 27, 2013
This was very interesting. Judy Carter did a nice job bringing all the elements together. I would recommend this book.