Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Flavor Name: Free Range Chicken|Size: 10 lb (makes 40 lbs)|Change

Showing 1-10 of 995 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,132 reviews
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 28, 2014
I admit that feeding Zeal to my 90-pound Rottweiler is a bit of a financial burden. However, last summer about the time she turned 10, I was afraid I was going to lose her to digestive problems of all things. She had been having episodes of vomiting and diarrhea for the previous 2 years, but they always cleared up with treatment. This time they didn't. She spent 2 days in the ER and was still passing blood a week later. My regular vet recommended a home cooked diet, but my girl had been on that when the troubles started, and I'd switched her to commercial food hoping it would be better. The vet then said try HK Zeal, many dogs with digestive problems do well on it because it's so low fat. It's now been over 6 months, and my girl has not had another episode. Maybe she will again, but I am so grateful for this 6 months of grace. She also looks and seems to feel "less old" in ways it's hard to describe. For us the food is worth every penny and way better than the fear and cost of another ER visit.
on June 16, 2013
My 3 year old German Shepherd was having digestive problems with other dog foods. I tried most of the leading brands carried by Petco/PetSmart, etc. To get her digestion on track I had her on a bland diet (white rice and boiled beef) and would slowly transition to a kibble and some can food. Once I would get to 75% Kibble with 25% rice her condition returned. Our Vet even put her on a antibiotic and we tested for worms, etc. Finally, I decided to use Honest Kitchen "Love" and she transitioned easily over to it. I am on my fourth box and her digestion has never been better than it is now. It is a bit pricey, as the cost is a bit over $2 per meal. But there is no question she is much healthier on it than any of the others I have used.

I STRONGLY recommend it.
on January 29, 2012
I have never written a review for dog food before. But, this product commands some attention! I've been searching for a grain-free food for my two Brussels Griffons for over a year. They were fed Royal Canin as puppies with the breeder in Wisconsin. We moved them to Texas and the allergens caused constant ear infections among other things (chewing on feet, licking legs, etc.). We decided to remove food allergies from their diet rather than keep them on steroids and Benedryl. It was bad for them!) All of the grain-free kibble we introduced gave them loose stools- some required several midnight visits outside! We went high-end with the food (We didn't mind spending top dollar for the prior bagged kibble grain-free foods. tThey were all very expensive), but those processed foods were just too rich for them. No problems with loose stools with Force because we moved them into it slowly with the Royal Canin (2 weeks). The moment I let them taste the food, they went crazy! They loved it!I was apprehensive about the preparation, but it's actually very easy. I mix up the food and water and require the dogs to lie down and stay while it hydrates. They have to earn it and they are happy to wait it out!So cool to see these little ones drop to the floor by just asking, "Are you hungry?" 5-10 minutes later, they are LOVING LIFE!!!

They LOVE this food. No stomach upset at all. They both lost the pudginess we struggled with, they are more active, their eyes actually sparkle and the their coats are super shiny! Unbelievable bonus results! Our new puppy will be moved to this food in about a month. I'm eagerly anticipating the results..

UPDATE: Months later: my dogs look like a million bucks! Highly energetic and full of spunk. Latley I add different veggies and fruits to give them new tastes. Nothing I am adding causes stomach upset( cooked carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, raw apples, bananas, berries, and natural yogurt)I add all of this in small quantities since they are at the perfect and happy weight of 8.5 lbs (male) and 16 lbs (female- she's a big girl!) They know the exact time dinner time should start! I LOVE this food and what it does for our precious animals.

Give this food a try. You won't be sorry! Feel free to contact me if you like. I will be happy to give you details about how this food changed my little one's life! Mine too. Still can't believe it!

I want to make it clear that Roayal Canin is an upstanding dog food. I beleive that the problems I had with that food in relation to my dogs was the change in environment. I trust the breeders and both have told me that their dogs don't suffer from the nasty allergens that Dallas dogs have! I beleive this to be true. (My Bostoms lived to a very old age but lived on Benedryl- all in Dallas) Since we adopted these beloved Brussels Griffons, we have lived in Dallas and Mexico usisng both dog foods. Symptoms are all consistent with the change of food. Thank you, Honest Kitchen for producing such a fabulous alternative to natural foods that may be too rich for sensitive tummies!
11 comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2015
Senior dog is crazy about this food! Blood test from vet shows she is on verge of pancreatitis so per her vet I needed to find a food around 9.5% or less crude fat; this has 8.5%. By the way, I would like to thank Amazon for showing all sides to this box and other products to allow me to get this information and providing magnification so I could make a smart decision while shopping on line; most do not provide this service. This food fits the vets recommendation and not only that, she absolutely LOVES it. Yes, it smells like a pier especially when you add the warm water and stir it up, but I noticed she has a lot less gas with this food and genuinely acts younger. Her coat is beautiful, too. She used to have flatus every night like clock-work but not since starting this food. Yes, this one is pricey, but I look at it this way, I can pay extra for good food or pay a lot more to the vet. With a life expectancy of 14 years, it's only a temporary expense and I want her last years to be as healthy and comfortable as possible.
on December 15, 2016
In working in the veterinary field I've seen how important it is that pets get adequate nutrition to prevent or treat various medical issues. I've seen the negative outcomes of poorer pet food quality. I have a mini schnauzer that before had digestive issues, straining when trying to defecate, bloating, really hard dark stools, licking at the feet. He just wasn't himself and I could see and sense that he was very uncomfortable. I switched him to THK turkey and took him off of dry kibble completely. One thing I like to tell people is that I work for a Veterinarian that specializes in food therapy. So I've learned a considerable amount of things regarding pet food. Please know that although a lot of pet food companies that sell dry kibble (even the expensive brands) claim that their pet food is healthy. Please also know that dry kibble although the ingredients that are supposed to be healthy are very over processed and by the time it gets to the pet the nutrients just aren't what they should be to provide the pet with the adequate nutrition that they should be getting. THK knows this and makes food that is minimally processed and that's why I like them. They put freeze dried 100% real ingredients into their recipes that are very good for pets and their tummies. This food completely changed my dog for the better. I buy 1 10lb box and it literally lasts me 2 and a half months. So I'm giving my dog optimum food while saving money as opposed to the food I was giving him before. I use a lot of THK products including the food, treats, goats milk, and bone broth. My dog loves them all and he's so much better now. Normal stools and no straining. The veterinarian I work for actually sells only THK products at our practice. I'm wanting to try their new dog shampoo bars! I hope this review helps others.
on July 30, 2013
I have been feeding The Honest Kitchen to two of my dogs for over a year. We feed raw meat and supplement with THK to make sure they are getting the vitamins and minerals they need. I met with THE most highly esteemed veterinary nutritionist in the country and she explained that if you are feeding your dogs raw meat that is not grass-fed, free-range, wild-caught, etc. - basically not eating their species-appropriate diet - then your dog is not getting the nutrients they need to get from their raw diet. She said I could supplement with THK to make up for it. My dogs love it and it is so much easier than giving a bunch of other add-ins. And I love the philosophy of the company!
on June 29, 2012
I have a 10 year old Westie named Maggie. I rescued her when she was 3 and she came to our family with many health issues including untreated Addison's disease, recurring urinary tract infections, infected paws, excessive drinking, weeping eyes, etc. I have tried many dog foods to address her allergies that my vet believes may be, at least in part, due to food. None have really helped relieve her symptoms. I lived with constant anxiety that every lick, cough, lethargic attitude, etc would land us at the vet yet again, and that she'd never feel "well". She was diagnosed with stage II/III mast cell cancer in January and has had 2 surgeries and a course of chemo. When she was diagnosed, I began researching diets for dogs with cancer. Most recommended a grain-free, low carb diet. I switched her to Taste of the Wild. Then it was recalled and I discovered that many dog foods were made in the same plants and could therefore be contaminated even if they had high quality ingredients. I tried Evo, California Natural, Blue Buffalo, etc. She liked some, wouldn't eat others, and none seemed to make a difference in her health. So I went back online and found a site called thetruthaboutpetfood and purchased a list of recommended dog foods that the site owner researched and deemed high quality. I found The Honest Kitchen brand of dog food and purchased Embark because it was low carb and grain-free. I liked the fact that all of the ingredients were safe and human grade (not that I've ever been tempted to eat it!). Maggie LOVES it. After several weeks on the food, I noticed positive changes. Her fur is pure white and not greasy. She has no allergic symptoms. Her black splotches on her skin are turning pink. She doesn't excessively drink water. She's more alert and happier than she's ever been. Her eyes don't weep which is HUGE. As stated in other reviews, her bowel movements have increased but it's worth it to me to have a health, happy dog. This is a long way to say that, for Maggie, Embark has been life-changing.
on November 1, 2013
I was a bit skeptical about this at first. It contained all of the ingredients that I use when I make my own dog food from scratch, but this was dehydrated. I mixed it up as directed, one cup powder with 2 cups water per dog based on their weight. After rehydrating it looked a lot like pea soup. Hmm. This is dog food? My husband shook his head and said, 'no way they are going to eat that.' I set the bowls down and told them to eat. They both looked up at me with a "WTF?" look. Then the more adventurous dog dipped a tongue in and that was all she wrote. She started lapping it up greedily. The more tentative dog watched her for a bit and then decided to try it himself. One lap of it and he was sold, too. They both polished off their bowls speedily and happily.

Now at meal time they jump around and dance excitedly while I am preparing it for them. When I set it down it's all they can do to hold their sit until I release them to eat.

It's a lot easier to mix this than it is to do all of the shopping, chopping, and prep I used to put into making their food from scratch. Plus, it's nutritionally complete so I don't have to worry if I am creating the right mix for them. Their coats are glossy, their poops are solid, and my one allergy dog is itch-free on this formula. We all love it.
on August 9, 2016
I love this food for my dog, I wish I would have found out about it sooner than I did! I'm raising my current puppy on it (now 7 months) and he looks fantastic. It's a bit pricey but I use half of the recommended amount and add half kibble that I change periodically, which makes it a bit more affordable and also adds some texture to the food.
I have to say that I was a tiny bit stumped when I opened the package and found a powder, I was expecting a chunkier food. The dogs don't really care and lap up the mush just as enthusiastically, but I experimented a bit with the amount of water I'm adding and I have found a method that works really well for me:
I usually mix two days worth in a tupperware and put it in the fridge, it will set to a firmer consistency. That way I don't have to measure and mix and wait at feeding time, I just take one quarter of the premixed "cake" and stir in the kibble and bit more water and done. It gives the food a bit firmer texture and I guess it's nice to have a meal out of the fridge on hot days too, no complaints so far!
Great quality food and great quality people!
on August 3, 2016
We have been using this food for about a year now. We have a German Shepherd that is severely allergic to most foods and was in poor shape. We had even tried making his food as a last resort for a few months before finding this. This is THE ONLY commercial dog food he is able to eat without vomiting due to his allergies. Since putting him on this, he actually eats, he gained weight (he was very underweight), smells so much better and his coat looks great. We use this along with Dinovite as a supplement for him. If you have any dogs with allergies or health problems, this food is definitely worth trying. Additionally, both of my dogs love the taste of this food. They used to leave their food uneaten and with this, they always finish the bowl.

It is expensive, but you get about 40 lbs of food from a 10lbs box.