- Audible Audio Edition
- Listening Length: 50 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Red Rock Audio
- Audible.com Release Date: June 26, 2017
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0731QJ5SD
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Horror at Red Hook Audiobook – Unabridged
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
These racist and xenophobic fears also underlie much if not most of H.P. Lovecraft's fiction, and these are *only* things used by Lovecraft to try to unsettle readers of “The Horror at Red Hook.” Thus, any readers who feel any of this story's intended effects (ie, feelings of spine-tingling creepiness, or fear, or horror, or dread, or suspense) should question their own attitudes and beliefs for racism and xenophobia, especially irrational assumptions about non-white immigrants, non-Christian religions, etc.
In years to come, I would not be surprised if historians consider the renewed popularity of H.P. Lovecraft's stories, at least in the U.S., as an early forewarning of the racist and xenophobic political policies, practices, and demagoguery, to come.
* [For a truly anachronistic viewpoint, see the 1990 book, ‘Worlds of Wonder, Days of Judgment,’ which draws upon the journal entries of villagers living in Puritan New England. The worldview expressed in those texts is a worldview which we have truly moved beyond, thanks partly to our knowledge of science, and critical thinking skills, among other things.]
This is a much-vilified story of H.P. Lovecraft's, and I do not think it deserves the reputation it has garnered. True, the story is not part of the Cthulu Mythos, and it does not succeed in building up the suspense and horror that you would expect from Mr. Lovecraft. But, it's not a bad story, and well worth reading as part of the Lovecraft cannon!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller & Suspense
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Ghosts
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Occult
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Supernatural > Ghosts