BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 100 REVIEWERon September 26, 2013
Stellar in flapper costume elegance. The main plot of the 3 year series is two sisters bucking the system and beginning a lifetime of high society women's fashion. A 1920s rags to riches adventure (which alas did end suddenly like the stock market of the time.) Why did BBC every cancel?
The good news, it's back in this new packaging and
SUBTITLES,
yes, SDH SUBTITLES are NOW included.

The sets and props are as period perfect and breathtaking as the gowns the sisters create. And it is an advantage to have two beautiful lead roles played by Stella Gonet (Holby City) and Louise Lombard (CSI) to fill the sisters' act.
Episode plots keep the romance and action perking right along. There is never a dull moment in the 34 episodes. It's almost 30 hours of viewing London from the high society, low-brow, in-shop, street, and dark sides of clothing marketing as well as love lives both working and gone awry. The only negative I can offer is the fact that this Emmy and BAFTA award-winning series came to an end long before the public was ready. Again, Why?

The series was created from the lady team that also was responsible for "Upstairs, Downstairs"--Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins, stars in their own right in front of the camera.
Because this series is PERIOD COSTUME DRAMA, it never seems dated. It's stuck in the 1920s, and marvelously so.
This is a series must for British period lovers, and who isn't these days. I keep my set on the shelf, HANDY-LIKE, right beside my personal copy series of Downton Abbey. Yes, to me, they are comparable.

`
on March 19, 2014
This series has excellent plots, an outstanding cast, wonderful settings, and beautiful clothing.
We were disappointed that it ended so abruptly!
on August 28, 2016
My wife and I enjoyed this series very much.. And it filled the void left when Downton Abbey ended..
on April 4, 2017
Delightful entertainment. Elegant filming, Elegant writing and acting. Elegant period clothes. Clean and refreshingly high-quality programming. Free of sexually explicit language, free of violence and free of vulgar, obscene language.
on October 10, 2017
I saw this program when it aired on PBS. I had missed a few episodes and it never really was shown again. So I was happy to get this DVD set so I could revisit this wonderful story.
on September 8, 2015
What a delight!! One of those series you will miss and reminisce about. My husband and I blasted through the entire series over the course of a few weeks, so we saw the story line evolve in a compressed manner. One thing that never ceased to delight was the fashion, from the collections the House of Eliott designed to what they wore themselves. This series also examines the lives along various social strata; you see the struggles of the everyday working person of the 1920s to the middle class and the aristocrats. Hated to see this end; it does however end on a note that allows the viewer to pencil in their own ideas for how things might unfold. A delight in every way - highly recommended.
on December 2, 2014
This is a fabulous series. When I watched it 20 years ago I identified with Evie, Now I identify with Bea. The costumes and sets are lush and very well done. This show is filled with strong women. I would call it a feminist drama. I would also classify it as a gentle drama especially as far as language. There are villains you will love to hate; the stories/plots are interesting. The only drawback to watching these episodes on DVD is the lengthy plot summary you have to navigate through to get to the episode. Some of these contain spoilers so be careful!
on July 8, 2015
Another of the great BBC series.
Follow two young women as they enter into the specialty clothing business world at most interesting and changing times. They design, sew and sell.....will they succeed in this obvious mans world time?
Men, women and interactions. Women who are pushing beyond "their place" in many eyes.'
I can't do this justice with my words. My wife loves it and so do I, so man or woman it is really great.
on March 2, 2017
It ended and left you up in the air---there was no ending rreeds a 4th season--totally unfinished
on November 17, 2016
The story of two sisters struggling through being manipulated and controlled to becoming a success in their own right in the fascinating world of haute couture clothing design sucks you in and becomes addictive... but THERE IS NO CONCLUSION! It simply stops. My advice; spend your money on something that will give you a sense of completion and not frustration. It's too bad it "ended" because the potential was amazing.