Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 16 reviews
on February 27, 2014
This book is fun and empowering! Full of interesting history, with good clear directions and diagrams for all the projects. Living in a rural area with spotty electricity, these contraptions have saved me so much time and grief!
on September 3, 2012
I loved that the book told me all about different human powered events all over the world, and the description of how electricity is made was basic enough for me to understand. However, all of the devices suggested in the book involve bicycles. Maybe it's true that it takes a pedal to make something run or make electricity, but I was thinking of other ways to power things.

The book is very well written and friendly.
on June 13, 2011
..for anyone who wants to understand more about pedal powered and other human powered devices. I was looking for this book thirty years ago, but it hadn't been written yet!

This book is excellently written. It is both readable and complete. This year, I taught a group of middle schoolers how to adapt a bicycle to generate electricity. This book helped me to prepare my course work, and I hope to use it again to teach kids about intermediate technologies and their use in the carbon-free, nuclear-free future.

I plan to build more pedal powered devices, and this book will be my first and most essential reference.
on December 31, 2011
Couldn't get this book from our library system, so had to have it. It's good ... it shows ways on not relying on electricity, etc. It's a good reference book ... because I can't remember all the different products they use to maintain an easier life style ... just in case there may be interruptions to our expensive utilities.
on February 7, 2013
I really enjoyed this book because the author included plenty of technical explanations for her subjects. It helps to know how and why her projects are useful. I also like her historical references for different human powered machines.
on April 18, 2014
good detailed instructions to help you decrease dependence on the grid. I am just not there yet and have little space for a bike to power some of my things.
on October 3, 2009
I will definitely keep this book in my collection. I would have liked more diagrams of parts for construction of more things. The construction descriptions were great and useful. The Vitagoat is prototype #2 from the Rodale Press "Pedal Power" book from 1977. (still available from Amazon)
on May 19, 2015
interesting information
on January 11, 2013
I bought this for him as he is always looking for inventive ways to do things and this keeps him interested.
on May 26, 2015
Fun to try some of the machines at home