Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16,147 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18,487 reviews
on November 14, 2015
Enjoyed this one, but have been disappointed with her other books. This one kept my interest and I wanted to get back to it when I had a chance to sit down and read. There were no big surprises for me here. Things went along pretty much the way I surmised they might, but the writing for this book was crisp and entertaining. Her other books, except for "What Alice Forgot" and "The Hypnotist's Love Story" . . . nope. I have many of them on my Kindle Fire and believe me, I am sorry I responded so enthusiastically after reading just two books. Lots of money I didn't need to spend. Lesson learned. Just because a writer captures your attention and imagination with one or two books does not mean she can engross you with all of them. However, I can recommend this one. It is a fun read. I like the characters for the most part. The story is intriguing. And as I read it, I knew that I would have done exactly what the wife/protagonist did.
on March 31, 2015
This book was on my wish list for a gift, so my nephew ordered it from Amazon for me. The reviews online seemed great and people I knew who read the book loved it. I thought I would love it too. Not so. To me it was just okay. I realize we are all different. I did not like Cecilia's character right off, too much need for perfection, seemed shallow. As the book went on I liked her less. I know the husband's secret would be difficult and cause a dilemma. She just seemed looking for a reason to at some point reveal it. Her feelings for him did a 360 and she seemed like some type of punishment would be like some sort of karma. I did like Tess and her story. And then I came to dislike Rachael. I understood some of how she felt. But this woman had the pleasant older woman side and the side that was quite different that showed in more ways than one. I thought after the first 100 pages should I read on and I kept hoping I would like the book as much as most readers. It did not happen. Like I said it was okay. I have to say I read Gone Girl and disliked the way the characters were but thought the book was good. Somehow that did not happen with "The Husband's Secret".
on October 30, 2015
Moriarty came up with a clever concept - what if you open a (open-upon-my-death) letter ahead of time. What secrets will it reveal? Good idea but the two problems I had with the book - the secret was revealed too early in a relatively undramatic build up imo and second, I could not keep the female characters straight. They were all involved in vastly different situations yet I still had trouble differentiating between them. I did like the twist at the end where she did a good job of bringing the stories together. I'd read her again though, just because I like author who come up some clever idea.
on September 29, 2015
In The Husband's Secret, references to the Berlin Wall and Pandora's Box are presented as allegories for each and every action that, while it may seem inconsequential or benign at the time, also has the potential for pernicious and widespread long-term impact, thus demonstrating the kick-back of secrets, lies and betrayals.

Three distinctly different women who are mere acquaintances of one another and with no obvious connection, yet with a closer association than they think. It is enthralling, full of suspense and well-written, making it a fast-paced read. The first part of this novel is a bit confusing and difficult to ascertain the purpose of so many characters, though it does eventually sort itself out, making for a unique story if nothing else. The characters are relatable and quirky; most I found myself loving to hate.

If you enjoy other novels by Moriarty, this one will be no exception.
on June 7, 2014
A friend recommend that I read The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. She suggested that it might be a similar suspense/mystery as my release The Clock Strikes Midnight. Well. . . I would hope that my book is as good a read as Moriarty's. I found her writing fast, clean and well-thought out. She not only created engaging characters but she also built a story that kept the reader wanting to read more.

The story begins in the mind of Cecilia Fitzpatrick a happily married, extremely well-organized mom who sells Tupperware on the side. BTW, she very successfully sells Tupperware as she very successfully does everything. Cecilia unearths a letter from her husband. On the envelope he'd written her name and the words, "do not read until my death." Being such a good girl, she obeys his wishes for as long as she can (much longer than most of us would have!).

From this character we move to Tess who has just learned from her long-time friend and cousin (who recently lost a boatload of weight and now looks beautiful) and her husband that they have been secretly in love. This new information throws Tess's life into a tailspin. She takes her young son, Liam, off to Sydney (oh, I forgot to mention the story is set in Australia) to escape her husband and BFF's escapades with the excuse to take care of her mother.

The third important character is Rachel. We learn that Rachel's daughter, Janie, was tragically murdered twenty-eight years ago, and Rachel still suffers from this loss. She thinks of her daughter constantly, wondering what kind of life she would be leading now. She also obsesses over who might have killed her daughter. The murderer was never apprehended.

The author weaves these three main characters together in a compelling story. Interestingly, it is not the husband's secret that keeps the reader spellbound so much as what happens after the secret is revealed. In the preface to the book Moriarty refers to Pandora's box. The Husband's Secret is a modern version of Pandora's box. What do we do once the secrets are revealed? That's the underlying theme.
The other fascinating theme in the book is the metaphor created around the Berlin Wall. Cecilia's daughter is quite interested in the history of the Berlin Wall, both its construction and its destruction. At first I wondered what that had to do with moving the story along. Soon, I recognized the author's point--we all hide behind a wall of secrets. Everyone in the story--not just the husband in question--had secrets and we all hide behind them until the wall comes tumbling down. Quite clever.

Oh, and did I mention great writing? Here are some examples:

"Who knew she was cab able of speaking with such hardness? Each word sunder like a block of concrete."

"He was very broad-chested and athletic looking and he rode a motorbike and listened with his eyes."

"She'd die with the clamp of grief still wrapped around her chest."

"He kept talking. It was endless. . . like that urban myth about an exotic worm that lived in your body, and the only cure was to starve yourself and then place a hot dinner in front of your mouth and wait for the worm to smell the food and slowly uncoil itself, sliding its way up your throat."

Yes, this is a delicious read from beginning to end--worthy of many more than 5 stars.
on June 27, 2017
The plot was interesting, however,very slow moving. By the time the book held my attention it was over. I normally read a book in less than a week but I had to force myself to finish this one.
on June 14, 2017
I've read all of Lian Moriarty's books and this one is good. Not her best, but very good! We read this for my book club last month and everyone enjoyed it- we had a great time discussing the different stories and characters. Overall a great read!
on June 6, 2014
REVIEW OF THE HUSBAND’S SECRET (AUTHOR LIANE MORIARTY)

Set in the suburbs of Sydney, Liane Moriarty picks up the silken strands that are the lives of Cecilia, Tess and Rachel and laces them deftly together over the ‘Easter Week’.
Rachel’s daughter was murdered when she was seventeen, a tragedy she has still not come to terms with over twenty five years later. She now faces the daunting prospect of her grandson moving away. Tess finds out that her husband and her best friend who is also a much cherished cousin are in love with each other. Shattered, she retreats to her mother’s house in the suburbs with her son. However, it is Cecilia; the one with the perfectly organized life, the one who always seems to have it all together, who finds ‘the letter’ from her husband. Will she open it or not?
Over a period of just seven days we have events from their lives woven together with a skill that would have made Athena proud. Circumstances, decisions, consequences and the circle goes on.
This was a sizeable book, it was set in the suburbs and there wasn’t any great mystery here despite what the title suggests. On the face of it there was nothing that should really grip your attention but enthrall me it did. I couldn’t put it down and I was surprised myself at how fast it went. Kudos to Liane Moriarty for being such a great story-teller.
She draws you into the perfectly ordinary lives of these women and you don’t even realize you have actually been pulled into the room with them. Fear, lies, loss, weakness, adultery she throws them all at you and it eventually boils down to the choices these women make in their lives. What I appreciated is that the characters were not black or white, they were human with all the foibles that humans have and Ms Moriarty just presented their story, she never judged them. That she leaves to us.
The only part which I question is the need for the character of Tess and her story. It was a great story but I didn’t quite get the connection with the main plot. Also the ending felt too much like a ‘done and dusted’ affair. Minor drawbacks at best.
It categorically deserves a five star rating and what was the icing on the cake for me were the brilliant little truisms’ that her characters come up with either as snippets of conversation or in their thoughts. E.g. one from Cecilia
‘She’d learned that with her daughters. Don’t say a word. Don’t ask a question. Give them enough time and they’d finally tell you what was on their mind. It was like fishing. It took silence and patience.’
on November 14, 2014
This is my first book by Liane Moriarty, but I'm definitely going to try some of her others. At first, I thought I was going to be overwhelmed by the large number of characters introduced in the first three chapters. It seemed like three unrelated stories, but those three stories gradually merged into one remarkably complex and dramatic one. The characters all seemed real, and I felt like I got into the heads of all of them and empathized with them. This author has a real talent for shifting the point of view from one character to another without using first person or resorting to phrases like "she thought, she felt ....". I may not be the typical male reader, but I just love this kind of story about interpersonal relationships -- as long as it doesn't get predictable and boring, which this story definitely did not.
on September 21, 2013
To say that I absolutely loved The Husband's Secret would be an understatement. Liane Moriarty blew me away with this novel and as a first time reader of her work, she has instantly made me a fan. The Husband's Secret gives a short glimpse of the lives of three Australian, suburban woman, at the pinnacle of the worst month of their lives. Cecilia, Tess, and Rachel all find out something about their lives that they wish they had never known and had never had to experience. The decisions they make in those short few weeks will effect the rest of their lives. The story twists and turns as Moriarty gives the reader a glimpse into the inner workings of each woman. As you read, you find yourself rooting for and simultaneously angry and disappointed in these women.
I was amazed at how many times I changed my mind about whether they made the right decision, if I even liked the ending, or agreed with their actions. I love books like this because they stay with you long after you've finished, and they make you think. Honestly, the only reason I'm giving this book 4 starts is because it was a tough start. The first few chapters had a hard time keeping my attention and there were a few times I just wanted to put the book down and move on to something else. I'm so glad I stuck it out though, because it gets better towards the middle and leads into an explosive ending.
Definitely worth the read and for once, a really great book at a really great price!