Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 78 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 207 reviews
on October 25, 2012
I've followd Julien Smith and Chris Brogan's work for a long time, specifically Julien's blog. So when I saw that The Impact Equation was coming out, I jumped on the pre-order immediately. Over the years, I've stopped reading a lot of self-help material, but I've kept Julien's blog in my Google Reader.

What I really enjoyed about this book is that it's very different from most books that discuss social media. This book focuses on how to make your content matter - not how to use Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr.

The book begins by laying out the basic framework of the "equation" and the following chapters go into more detail about the parts of the equation.

Another thing that separates this book from others is that they cover artistic roadblocks in addition to how to use your material to make an impact (one of Julien Smith's strong suits). That said, they also give great instruction on how to refine the ideas that are generated in the creative process, something that a lot of artists/writers neglect (and then wonder why they aren't selling their work).

The examples provided are some of the best I've seen in a book like this. They are relevant and current, and they are also stories told from the authors' personal lives which make the text even more powerful and engaging.

I highly recommend reading this book, especially if you're tired of these types of books. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but the information is presented in a unique and different way.
on October 25, 2012
Leveling up is a term that means to make a move for the better. Reading The Impact Equation, can help you level up your business, and your life.

I say "can" because, like all self-help books, just reading the book won't do anything except increase your knowledge. Applying the principles in the book, however, can help you enjoy your work more.

My favorite part of this book is the section entitled "What Pokemon can teach you about personal growth." The idea in this one section is easy to grasp, fun to read, and if applied can change your thinking and your business.

The idea is to surround yourself with ideas that are at a higher level than you are currently. You do this by associating with people who are more successful, reading books that give you new ideas and information, and spending time practicing.

I know there will be lots of other reviews that describe the book and what you'll learn, so I'm not going to rehash those things. Rather I'll leave you a few pointers from the end of the book:

1. "This book will help you refine your ideas, which is an essential part of working inside a cluttered idea marketplace where everyone is always shouting for attention all the time."

2. "We should still be thinking about people first, because people will always be the recipients of our ideas."

3. "When your work is done, the satisfaction lies in the act itself and the fact that you really made a difference. You had an impact on the world. "
on February 17, 2013
It would be hard not to like this book or find it useful. Like the authors (as portrayed on their on-line blogs and sites) it is open, entertaining and helpful despite the fact that it makes me feel rather old. I have never played Pokeman.
I loved the practical bits of information regarding blogging and social media, and the usage of current
examples and stories.
The caveat is this, When I read through the reviews of the reviews of this book, I felt that authors were being reviewed more than the content of the book which is not all that different than the content of their last book. Updated yes, but different not so much so. The authors are clearly worthy of five stars when it being personable and leading by example (heck they even responded to many of the Amazon reviewers) but I guess I was a little disappointed in the recycling of many of the ideas. I look to the authors as pioneers going beyond what we already know and had hoped to see more of that pioneering spirit in this book. However even tho I didn't catch that spirit the book has a place in my library.
on January 10, 2013
I was very happy with the results I produced by following Chris and Julien's recipe in Trust Agents. Impact Equation, the follow up, came at exactly the right time for me. IE is a master class in producing better outcomes. Chris and Julien use the acronym CREATE (contrast, reach, exposure, articulation, and echo) to layout a framework for thinking about how you build community. For my money, most of us spend too much time worrying about reach and exposure and too little worrying about contrast and echo. Contrast is differentiation, something far more important now that the web got crowded and cluttered. Echo is about connection, or rapport. It's about real connection. To me, that's where the real action is.

I recommend this book highly. You might also subscribe to Chris's Sunday Newsletter at [...]. He delivers killer content that works well with this content there each week.
on October 25, 2012
I just finished reading and distilling The Impact Equation to bring the most relevance to my clients. The book's application to any business--large or small--is invaluable. The book's #1 strength is that it contains LOTS of actionable ideas--things you can apply today in your social media marketing strategy--supported by sound theory and mindset.

Its #2 strength is that it's not about social media tools. Tools come and go. This book is about cultivating and strengthening connections with your customers, clients, or patients that lead to long-term business growth and greater personal career fulfillment. Yep, long term benefits.

The Impact Equation's 3rd strength lies in its two formulas for mapping out and evaluating social media tactics. Those two formulas are C x R + E + A + T + E and G + I + P + H. It's beyond the scope of this review to dive into these formulas, but, I'm confident that you'll appreciate the focus, structure and clarity these formulas bring to your social media efforts.

The mindset you'll take away from the book will be the difference that makes a difference in the effectiveness of your social media marketing efforts. I ordered a case of books for the Social Media Marketing class I teach to MBA students. I'm making it required reading next semester. Business majors get so hammered by the mechanics and ROI formulas that they forget the human side of social media. Without it, people keep trying to cram traditional marketing theory (square pegs) into round holes (relationship marketing, a.k.a. social media).

Buy the book.
on March 3, 2014
Borrowing a term from the authors, I strongly suggest you read this book before you start building your business, platform, or career. The story telling style makes this book immensely readable. You begin to feel that Chris and Julien are in your living room, sitting in front of the fireplace for a chat.

Build before the need makes perfect sense - and a critical element of career management but few of us think this way. The authors adroitly manage to weave and connect Rebecca Black, Paulo Coelho and Deadmou5 to discuss reach, echo and articulation. These stories alone, should make you want to read this book.

I particularly enjoyed, "value capture" or when to extract value, something every consultant or entrepreneur grapples with. The Impact Equation is an enjoyable read, filled with rich insights and engaging conversations. You don't need another marketing class, you only need to read this book.
on October 25, 2012
This Book has reminded me that I used to be Described as "He'll Give You the Shirt Off his Back" kind of guy.
And I miss that kind of attitude. So, in my Social media circles I remember to point out the Good that other people do.
I found this book to be a quick read with tons of "Whoa" moments where the social epiphany would just roll over me.
Oh and they quote tons and tons of people - take their ideas and discuss them and make them into their own... and they ENCOURAGE you to do the SAME. They quoted Brett Rogers as saying "You're either a head of lettuce or an apple tree". So you can eat the lettuce right away - yumm? but the apple tree... "right away nothing". You have to water it, tend it, love it and maybe after six years you get some apples.
So in order to get some extra "outside" love spread on my apple tree, I'll be giving tons of love to my YouTubers out there and telling them "Great Job" and Tweeting their Tributes. Oh and I bought 11 copies so they'll not only get a pat on the back - but a thump too.
PCpancake
on October 30, 2012
I'm a 25 year old writer/blogger/illustrator. I only say this because I want you, prospective buyer, to know that I am not like all these other business mavens (unfair, I know). I'm just a gal who likes a good zinger and I want to make the most of my reach. This book isn't just for men who are verified on Twitter. It is malleable and thorough, and it will broaden your scope so long as you hurry up and read it.

I know it's not about getting higher social network numbers, but I can't help but think they will grow when I implement some of these principles. Chris and Julien set a fine pace in the beginning by explaining that Twitter, Facebook, etc. is a means and not an end. It's not about the numbers; it's about the people. I like that. This created trust, which is good because that's partially what the book is about).

There's a lot of gold, but I'll just mention my first aha-moment: what if we curated our media output like we were a television station?

This woke me up. I've always justified my themes by saying that I, the curator, am the common thread! Maybe that can work for some, but it may not be the most effective way to aquire aquire(and maintain) the audience I'm looking for.

Great book! Get yourself a copy.
on October 28, 2012
Word about The Impact Equation appeared in my Twitter feed and then in my earbuds shortly before the book's official release, proving the authors knew how to make ideas spread. But as the well-documented book proves, you need competencies to spread ideas. And The Impact Equation dissects many of these competencies.

As a media creator, I'm deeply interested in the advice offered by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith. The authors have earned the respect of several of my professional colleagues--that's how I know about The Impact Equation. The ideas of Brogan and Smith echo through my social business connections and have become part of the curriculum I teach in the Limerick Institute of Technology.

I plan to put The Impact Equation on the "essential reading" list for the next two years of academic modules I teach in Social Media, Public Relations and Web Analytics. Besides well-researched (and amply attributed) chapters, the authors share practical exercises that will play well with university students who complete their academic work with me.

I strongly recommend The Impact Equation to anyone who needs to improve their creative output in our frictionless media landscape.
review image
on October 25, 2012
I see there are many reviews that advocate for the credibility of the ideas presented in this book; they're all correct. This is an excellent book about how to make an impact by leveraging the many tools at your disposal. But I think it's more than that.

I'd also like to advocate for the relevancy of this book. Never before has there been a time when earning influence and making an impact (for yourself) has been more important, advantageous and easier (thanks in part to the ideas of Chris Brogan and Julien Smith). Thinking of us as Indians, we no longer need permission from the chief to gain access to the tribe. We can polish our art and ideas and business proposals and take them right to the people who need to see them. This is changing everything. More than ever, it's important to understand how to develop these invaluable skills in the new economy.

And I can't think of a better book to help you do it.