Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 82 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 171 reviews
on May 26, 2014
I don't know why I didn't give the album a better listen before. I was listening to it one rainy day and my impression was that it was slow and quiet, and I didn't give it much of a chance until recently. I was so depressed, and the only thing that could make me feel better was music. In particular, this album. I like that a lot of songs are in 5/4, and that there are repeating themes. "Blind House" was the first song that stuck out for me. "Time Flies" is one that I want to play at top volume. I just love the xylophone in "Drawing the Line". And the "I want to be loved, just want to be loved" part of "the Incident". I've woken up with "Degree Zero of Liberty" in my head.

The album still seems appropriate for grey, rainy days. It is moody, but also thoughtful. Like any good music, the music says so much without any words. It's also gotten me to check out new bands and reawakened my interest in music. Listening to this album on headphones is like being hugged by someone, not a fake optimist kind of hug but a real hug from someone who understands. It's the best way I found to feel good about feeling bad. If this album were a person, I would so want to cuddle with it.
on March 16, 2015
Short Form Review:
This entire album is brilliant. Steve Wilson and co takes us through a dark and chilling tale. The super-long title track will grab you from the first thundering chord to the last moment.

Drive The Hearse is just crazy good. All of it is good. I don't know why PT went on hiatus after this record, but whatever chemistry they brewed up in the studio is just timeless rock and roll. Wonderful band. I'm not a fan of ANY of SW's other projects. I wish he would get back to the TREE sooner than later.
on March 28, 2017
Pretty good
on March 17, 2010
Almost all the music I love is UK progressive rock recorded in the 1970s---well before I owned any equipment for playing music. Porcupine Tree embodies everything I loved about the 1970s incarnations of Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis: top-flight musicianship, challenging rhythms and harmonies, and layers of depth and complexity. Now Porcupine Tree have brought back another outmoded idea: the concept album. The concept is fairly loose, like Yes's Tales from Topographic Oceans or Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, as opposed to the in-your-face concept of Pink Floyd's The Wall. Don't be fooled by Steven Wilson's claim that the opening track is 55 minutes long---there are 14 tracks, but Steven really, really wants you to listen to them in sequence, at a sitting. Do so. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

This album is not as accessible or as easy to get to like as the very best of Porcupine Tree. If you don't own Deadwing, In Absentia, or Stupid Dream, run out and buy one of those albums instead. But this album is more tightly integrated, both thematically and melodically, than any other Porcupine Tree album I have heard. That lends it a certain something extra, and it has definitely grown on me over time. My favorite track is 'Time Flies', primarily for the very slow layering in of guitar, keyboard, vocals, drum, and bass.

For me one thing is missing from this album: there is not enough close harmony. I was lucky enough to hear the material performed in concert (although in a terrible venue), and there we got a little harmony on "Drawing the Line", which I really miss on the studio version.

If I could give this four and a half stars, I would, because it is not quite up to the very high standard set by Porcupine Tree's best work, but still "I love it" is the most accurate description, so it gets five stars.

Buy it if you already know the band and you want an integrated musical experience that will take a number of repetitions to sink in. If you are not familiar with the band, buy In Absentia or Stupid Dream. (Deadwing is as good but in my opinion takes longer to get to know.)
on December 12, 2015
Big fan of their musical shift and more Metal direction with In Absentia and following albums. This is their best album and concept yet!
on October 14, 2009
I have been listening to Porcupine Tree for the last 15 years, ever since The Sky Moves Sideways came around and they are one of my favorite present rock bands, next to Radiohead, RPWL, Sylvan, Mostly Autumn, Pendragon among others. When I say present I mean newer generation. A lot of bands I love still tour and record, but their greatness is a bit behind them. Watching Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson's career I see them leaving a mark as deep as Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, Joy Division or King Crimson. Steven Wilson is one of my favorite present vocalists. He is a great song writer, guitarist and keyboardist as well as phenomenal studio producer. Steven's No Man project (Together we're Stranger and Schoolyard Ghosts are my favorite) should assure us all that he is the master of atmosphere creation with all instruments. For me Porcupine Tree meant mastery of beautiful mellow ambient moods and soft space rock, picking up amazingly where Pink Floyd left off. Then the harder aspect of Porcupine Tree developed and both In Absentia and Fear Of A Blank Planet came into existence. How many territories can Steven master? That is a good question. He had definately turned my listening trends from very ambient to rather heavy. And now we got this album. After a first couple of listens I Drive The Hearse was my favorite song of The Incident. I was very intrigued by this album, so I took it with me on my recent business trip to Europe and ended up spending about 20 hours driving and listening constantly and exclusively to this cd. First just to a few songs over and over and then I gradually started liking more and more music on it. I have to say that right now my favorite song of this album is Drawing The Line because it is so twisted and powerful( in Steven's words "cinematic but crude"), although perhaps a bit spiritually disturbing. Kneel And Disconnect is such a great introduction to Drawing The Line. I still love I Drive The Hearse. Its darkness does not bother me because Steven's darkness is usually full of light deep inside. Another spectacular song of this album is Time Flies which contains one of these magic moments of time disruption in it. Another song which just kept on growing on me is The Incident, but listening to it while driving near Munich at 200 kilometers an hour is not a good idea. It freaks you out too much...
on June 3, 2010
You've got to give Porcupine Tree a lot of credit. The band have been slogging it out on the small yet loyal progressive rock underground circuit for almost 20 years now. Finally with their last two albums they have built up enough momentum to be able to play decent sized venues, sell a decent amount of albums, and even get occasional radio airplay. For a band right on the cusp of finally hitting the big time, one would think that Porcupine Tree would put out a radio friendly album with an emphasis on commercial potential. Instead the band took a complete left turn and released a 50 minute plus concept piece called "The Incident". This move took a lot of guts for a band trying to make it in today's music climate and I give them props for going this direction. The real question though, is the album any good? Personally I think everything Porcupine Tree produces is at the very least good and some of their albums have been absolutely brilliant. "The Incident" for me, is not in the brilliant category, but still rises above 90% of the schlock that passes as modern rock n roll these days. To my ears the band have done better, but this is still a quality release from Mr. Wilson and company. "The Incident" itself is, the first disc of a two disc set, broken up into 14 sections. By far the highlight is the 11 minute plus middle of the work called "Time Flies". As others have mentioned this track sounds a lot like "Animals" era Pink Floyd. Like "Anesthetize" on their previous album "Fear Of A Blank Planet", "Time Flies" serves as the central focal point for this disc. It is truly one of Porcupine Tree's best all time tracks in my opinion. The beginning and end of "The Incident" don't quite fare as well. There are moments of exhilaration, but there are also sections that come close to filler. Still, overall "The Incident" is a good solid piece of work if not quite up to some of the band's previous endeavors. Along with the main disc is a 2nd disc of four additional songs. These took a while to grow on me, but I have come around to 3 out of the 4 of them. The final track "Remember Me Lover" is probably the best with some fine guitar work from Mr. Wilson. As always with Porcupine Tree, the recording is pristine. Gavin Harrison continues to prove that he is one of the best drummers on the planet, and Richard Beriberi / Colin Edwin duo on keys and base stay low key, but contribute massively to the overall project. Although "The Incident" does not quite live up to the hype surrounding it's initial release this is still a very strong album from one of the top bands on the planet today.
on September 30, 2009
I am a huge PT fan - from the early soundscapes to the later more progressive rock style. Abolutely love In Absentia, enthralled with Deadwing and then even higher praise for Fear of A Blank Planet. Seen them many times in concert and would have to say that, since first discovering PT in 2004, they rapidly rose to become my favorite band, surpassing Pink Floyd and Genesis. Accordingly, I waited with great anticipation for The Incident and read all the glowing reviews about the 55 minute musical masterpiece. My first tinge of concern came with the release of the single for Time Flies. I found it, much to my surprise, repetitive and boring. Repetitive is fine if there are subtle layerings and changes that take it in a direction. Boring is not. I finally got the album and quickly put it on for a listen. All of the earlier albums grabbed me instantly and transported me to my happy place. This one did not. True, the album version of Time Flies is better than the single and there are some bright moments but it is a let down after the prior 4 albums where each one was better than the last. I have listened to both discs many times and while I like it, I think if I was not already a big PT fan, this album would not convince me to get the others. Seeing it in concert in Philadelphia last week did not change my opinion (the weakest concert from PT in the last 5 years). If you are new to PT, start with Deadwing or Fear of a Blank Planet instead.
VINE VOICEon September 24, 2010
This is another fine album from a band that I have been following for a while now. Surprisingly, although this group has been cranking out albums that more or less feature the same approach, it still sounds fresh to me. The Incident (2009) is no exception though I might be a little biased.

The two-disc set features the lengthy track "Incident" on Disc 1 and a handful of tracks on Disc 2 (cumulative running time = approx. 75 minutes). Come to think of it, if I were to change anything about this album, it would have been to lop a few tracks off Disc 2 and squeeze everything onto one disc. Regardless, the tunes on Disc 2 are pleasant enough. Disc 2, however, does not hold my attention nearly as strongly as The Incident song-cycle.

Clocking in at a little over 55 minutes in length, the fourteen part "Incident" song-cycle has all of the key Porcupine Tree elements: heavy passages alternating with quieter passages; melancholy minor keys and nice melodies. Central themes are restated here and there, which lends the piece some continuity. The vocal harmonies are also quite nice and Steve still has a strong and clear lead vocal.

While I generally enjoyed the whole album, my favorite tracks include "The Blind House" and especially "Time Flies". Although "Time Flies" borrows heavily from the album Animals (Pink Floyd, 1977), there is enough originality to the track that it holds my interest. The one tune that did not work for me was "Drawing the Line". Although this could have been a nice track, the chorus section is a bit too "alternative rock" for my liking. Fortunately the chorus section is short, so the listening experience was not ruined.

The overall package is nice and features a booklet that displays the lyrics, production credits and some arty images. The overall sound quality is OK, although it could have been mixed better - there is not too much clarity.

All in all, this is another good album from one of the better rock groups out there. The Incident is recommended along with Fear of a Blank Planet (2007), In Absentia (2002), and Signify (1996).
on May 24, 2010
I have to admit that I was a little disappointed the first couple of times I listened to this. A friend and I had a conversation about Fear of a Blank Planet being Porcupine Tree's "Moving Pictures" and things, while very good, would never match past glories. After about a month I left it alone for a few weeks. I'm glad I didn't review it back then. I started bringing the cd with me whenever I had a long drive, playing it on my mp3 player during my commute, just wanting to listen to it non-stop. It sneaked up on me!! This album, probably more than any other PT album before it,works as a whole with what I first considered filler, really doing more for "the greater good". FOABP was supposedly one long composition, but it really isn't. This one is aptly called a "song cycle", I'd call it a suite. If you are willing to listen to it repeatedly throughout on a good sound system, you'll find a lot to like.
UPDATE
After a couple of years, I find this album somewhat uninspired and formulaic. It has some fantastic moments, but it seems that SW was already past the metal phase when he recorded this. It's companion concert DVD is also kind of bland.