Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

The Infection
Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 12, 2014
First off, let's get something straight. This album is definitely not like any of their past or future albums. This is totally different. In my opinion, every instrument shines whether they're the crushing drums of Andols Herrick, the brutal guttural vocals and sensitive clean vocals, the insane, 6,000 ton blistering guitar riffs of Rob Arnold coupled with the rhythm guitar, the eerie keyboarding effects and pieces, or the solid bellowing bass. Though many voice opinions that this album was a step down from their previous work, many others say the opposite. Yes, it is different. The vocals are more diverse with an added touch of death metal techniques mixed in along with the clean vocals of "impending doom". I loved the album. Every song. Here's my breakdown track by track:

The Venom Inside - 8/10 . This song starts off the album in a truly tremendous manner. It has a very emotional introduction that is echoed in the chorus by the guitars. It's very slow and groovy like many of the other songs on the album. The bridge is brilliant and of course the outro fits the song perfectly.
Frozen in Time - 9/10 . The song is great. However what makes it shine is its epic and long bridge. Lasting 2 minutes, (for a 4 minute song, that's a long bridge!) the song takes many twists and turns. The drums shine in this song as Andols puts his money where his mouth is. Oh and every riff in this song is memorable.
Coming Alive - 9/10 . I get the feeling this song is written about a girl. I don't really care, the lyrics are great coupled with excellent instrumentation. My favorite part is the haunting and adrenaline fueled guitar work in the verses. Arnold, you nailed it. Then the solo kicks in around the 2 minute mark preceding the outro that becomes the icing on the cake.
Secrets of the Dead - 10/10 . Heavy riffing throughout, with the amazing guitar work, keyboarding and synthesizer effects that truly make the intro and outro a memorable and adventurous experience for the listener. The breakdown at the end of the song tops it off perfectly.
The Disappearing Sun - 11/10 . My second favorite song off the album. (My favorite comes up) Not only is this one of my favorites off the album, but it is probably my favorite groove metal song ever. So many groovy moments, so many breakdowns. Yes it's very slow at times, but that creates the effect of a menacing behemoth lumbering toward a city poised to put it on its knees. Don't worry, the song picks up just before the 2 minute mark and it's pure head banging from there.
Impending Doom - 7/10 . The most eerie track of the album. The clean, ambient intro was perfect as the guitars and vocals break the silence to finish the intro's job of luring you in. Oh and let's not forget the bridge, something that Chimaira nailed on this album. Taking a song in 50 directions and doing it in an addictive and exciting way turning it into a frenzied thrill ride. This song is no different.
On Broken Glass 8/10 . Pure adrenaline from the getgo. If you wanna headbang and play air guitar until your fingers go numb and your neck breaks, this is the song to do it to. Still not a 200mph song, it's easily the most upbeat on the album and worth listening to.
Destroy and Dominate - 9/10 . This song is definitely one of the most impressive songs on the album. The riff is killer and the drums compliment the guitars perfectly here. Though seemingly repetitive at times, the bridge does an excellent job of giving the song enough variety to deserve 9 stars.
Try To Survive - 8/10 . This may be one of the most diverse songs on the album as it takes many twists and turns throughout, however, those turns stop as you're thrown down and forced to sit and relax through the soloing of Arnold as he pours his emotion out through the strings of his guitar. The riffs are good, along with the vocals, but the guitar solo is the hero here.
The Heart of it All 12/10 . Whether you love metal or not, it can be easily agreed upon that this is not only the most diverse song on the album, but also the most creative, most technically challenging, most emotional, most intense, and most impressive, not to mention the longest. This is the magnum opus of this incredible album as the album is the magnum opus of Chimaira's career.
I hope you enjoy this album as much as I did.
2 people found this helpful
on December 2, 2015
This album is a true test of time for metal heads and metal fans. If you loved Resurrection then you'll love The Infection even more. Truly a masterpiece by Chimaira. It amps up what all the other albums did as well. Another one of my favorite albums that holds the test of time.
on May 2, 2014
This is a good record I recently purchased in 2014 I kept holding off for 5 years since I had all of their albums I figured it's time to get the only one I never bought. Well It reminded me of the impossibly of reason record mixed with resurrection. A must buy for fans of chimaira.
on December 20, 2014
some good songs for hardcore chimaira fans bye it.
on September 16, 2009
This is my third Chimaira CD. My first one was resurrection and my second one was impossibility of reason. I was very impressed with resurrection but I thought impossibility of reason was a fairly weak sophomore effort.

Now for infection; I have to say, this is the first CD I bought in 2009 that I wasn't disappointed by. The first thing i noticed is that all the songs were alot slower and alot heavier from the other two CD's i listened to. After one play through I wasnt sure what to think, it caught me off guard. Upon subsequent playthroughs i started to really like the CD, its a refreshing new direction and style compared to previous CD's and its definitely heavy as can be.

Now all I have to do is listen to "pass out of existence" and "chimaira" which i look forward to with great anticipation and hope.
6 people found this helpful
on November 21, 2012
Everyone hates on The Infection but I don't see it. It's got the metalcore but being slow makes it sound kinda like doom metal ('doomcore' if you will). This album doesn't break new ground but it's got some cool riffs and the kicks on The Disappearing Sun are too good. I like it.
on June 20, 2014
Although the choruses on the venom inside and frozen in time area little weak, this whole album kills it! It's the last one with the REAL chimaira on it and truly was great work.
on August 21, 2014
Great album!
on April 5, 2014
One of my favorite albums by Chimaira!!! One of the few albums I can listen too over and over again!! Which I do in my car....
on August 27, 2015
I really liked this album