Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,357 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,993 reviews
on August 28, 2017
My first Will Robie book was #2: The Hit. Read it back in July of 2013. I loved that book and might just go back and reread it one of these days. I had planned on reading The Innocent back then, but one thing led to another and I did not. I did read book 3: The Target| and the Will Robie novella (2.5) :Bullseye. Loved them all.

Anyways, I liked this thriller, enjoyed it a lot. Will Robie is one of my favorite characters. I seem to be on an assassin kick lately. I am on a list at my digital library for American Assassin, and recently read The Enemy and The Kill Artist. Right now to me things are pretty much a tie between Victor (The Enemy) and Will as to which assassin I enjoy the most reading. Did not really about The Kill Artist.

Plenty of action and suspense. Now I need to keep going in the WIll Robie series and read books 4 and 5.
on March 2, 2015
...does not equate to a good read. I broke a semi-rigid long standing self imposed rule and bought a book by a popular author with seemingly formulaic and contrived characters and story lines with 1,000's of 5 star reviews on Amazon. My need for this "rule" was substantiated by "The Innocent" as the story was so full of ridiculous plot holes and awe inspiringly flat characters that my ability to suspend disbelief was challenged in ways I've never before experienced. The author seems to have some sort of personal rule about sentences not having more than 6-8 words as well as the dialog and verbal interaction between literally all of the characters was almost without exception stoical and fragmented and most of the story struck me as a superb candidate for the next film staring Jason Statham or Keanu Reeves. I'm definitely in the minority here but consider yourself warned. If you're looking for well thought out and plotted espionage tales with rich characterizations and thought provoking dialog I'd heartily recommend the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva.
on July 1, 2013
This is one of the few (good) novels that are fun to read from the very first page (first line, in fact). Usually, thrillers tend to have a slow, boring build-up and only get exciting anywhere from 10-30% into the book. I was apprehensive about The Innocent because of this missing build-up that all good novels have. But it didn't let me down at any point. It's also my first David Baldacci novel.

Although there was no build-up, it wasn't that exciting from the get go. The first 5 or 10% of the book had almost no dialogue. Will Robie, the protagonist doesn't speak for several chapters in the beginning. This made me feel uncomfortable and I was already getting tired of his character. But the book eventually transformed into a regular crime-thriller novel.

Robie was an interesting character, although not extremely likable. This was understandable because of his line of work. He is a highly trained government hit man who has been taught to keep information to himself and not give stuff away readily. Therefore, he doesn't talk easily. But there was some interesting development as the novel progressed. Same can be said about the development of other characters. I thought Nikki Vance, the FBI agent was a very cool person.

I loved the story and the writing style. The whole thing was comfortably complex and not overdone to the point of overwhelming me with information. Baldacci also did a great job of explaining everything that's happening at the moment and also conveniently going over all the information and leads the characters are using for investigation multiple times as revision (without making it sound boring, repetitive or annoying at all). It was very easy to follow the story despite the healthy complexity of it. The whole mystery unravels itself at the end pretty efficiently like a drain being unclogged all at once. Baldacci did a spectacular job of explaining tiny loose end within just a couple of pages. The whole novel had me turning page after page at the edge of my seat for long periods of time. One of the reasons was that the chapters are very short and I would binge on them thinking 'eh, one more won't hurt.' My Kindle kept telling me it would only take about 3-5 minutes to read this new chapter and I just kept going.

This was a very close to perfect thriller novel. It has got me hooked to this author.
on July 9, 2017
I recently finished the Baldacci's Camel Club series, including the novella that brought Will Robie into the plot. It's a great series. I enjoyed it so much that I finished all the books in a couple of weeks and immediately went searching for another Baldacci series. With the introduction of Will Robie into the Camel Club group, it seemed that this The Innocent would be a great choice.
Alas ~ it was not.
Not only are the characters flat and dull, their dialogue is incredibly unnatural. I considered abandoning the book many times, but I kept thinking that at least the plot might have an interesting twist. But again, alas, not so much. It was all very obvious, and if I could figure out what was going to happen with all my bells and whistles were going off, it's hard to believe Super FBI Agents and Professional Government Assassins couldn't figure it out, which made me feel even more annoyed with the characters.
I might try another series by Baldacci, but not too soon. This book was a waste of money.
It's a shame ~ I know Baldacci can do so much better.
VINE VOICEon May 27, 2013
This is my first David Baldacci read, but won't be my last. The "Innocent" is a page turner and fast paced escapism. Baldacci's pacing reminds me of Dan Brown novels. At least with this book. Both Brown's books and the Innocent feature tight time frames measured in hours that encompass only a couple of days of non-stop action. While Baldacci doesn't decorate his book with historical back stories and vignettes, he does create imaginative set-ups that gives the reader a clear insight into the mind and personality of his protagonist.

Will Robie is a US agent who operates in the black world where foreign problems have to be settled through the muzzle of a gun. He is very good at killing around the world and never sees his actions as anything other than a job which he is very good at. Until an assignment takes him to an apartment in Washington DC where his target turns out to be an American citizen - with young children in her bedroom as Robie is forced to contemplate what the limit is of what he will do in service of his agency. That contemplation makes him a target and sucks him into an intricate cat-and-mouse game of survival and the prevention of mayhem that unfolds around him.

He has not one, but two sidekicks - both female, but one is a fourteen year old who has witnessed her parents being murdered over what looks to be a drug deal gone bad and whose life Robbie saves while himself fleeing his predicament. The teenager is an interesting pairing and very good character for the steely-killer to play off as they work to solve both of their issues.

This book is very good weekend escapism. It is well written, intricate and believable. All the thing an action novel should be.
on April 2, 2015
Wow, as for thrillers Baldacci is my new favorite author! Page turning but also so interesting that you want to put it down and sleep and have more to read the next night because you don't want it to end! I love his voice, his perspective and sense of morality.He is a thinking man and can still write a thriller. His description of women is really sexy not the typical American bimbo Barbie doll. I'll never tire of Will Robie and now I'm beginning another of Baldacci's works because i finsihed all three in a week. Baldacci is tasteful and I find this rare inAmerican thriller writers; his sex scenes are sensual not raunchy. Baldacci has a voice that you just want to get to know him unlike say James Patterson no disrespect but creepy dude.
VINE VOICEon January 5, 2015
Another great novel by David Baldacci. The pace was quick, tense, action packed and kept you reading. Strong character development added to the story line but I had a couple of problems with it, hence the 4 stars.

Julie, the 14 year old going on 30 was a bit too strong and out of sorts for the story. Will could tame down a bad guy with just one look or one word but yet couldn't control the attitude of a smart mouth 14 year old. Even Agent Vance seemed to be afraid of her. And the bad guy revealed at the end of the book was too easy to figure out. That person did not seem to fit into the story line so I figured that's who that person really was, the gunman. Too easy.

All in all it still is a good book to read and I would recommend it to anyone. Good book!
on October 26, 2015
I loved this book! It amazes me how Baldacci is able to write such intricate stories with so many twists, turns and shockers! The last 100 pages were incredibly exciting. I enjoy nothing more than being completely surprised by the author and Baldacci does that so well. The young girl, Julie, in the novel is such a bright, precocious character. You will find her very enjoyable. I hope he brings her back in future Robie stories.

While this book does have violence and murder involved, Baldacci doesn't go into graphic details that could offend some readers. In addition, while I'm certainly no puritanical prude, I REALLY appreciate the fact that he writes an incredibly good book without using the f-word one time! In fact he uses very few swear words. It just shows you can write a great novel without an overabundance of that sometimes unnecessary language. I'm so tired of authors using the f-word word so often that it is no longer impactful. John Sanford has gotten to the point of distraction because you are bombarded constantly with it on almost every single page. It's too bad because Sanford writes great stories. I'm going to start The Hit tonight and really look forward to it and next The Target that is also sitting on my book shelf.

Baldacci continues to remain one of my favorite authors. I can't think of one novel that he has written that I didn't like. He should consider bringing back the Camel Club series. That was one of my favorites and much more could be written involving those unique characters.
on June 13, 2017
David Baldacci is a SUPERB writer. His books are page-turners, and his descriptions make you feel as though you are there. If you like mysteries, buy any and all of his books! You'll love them.
(By the way, the "sexual content" in this is a couple of sentences and not explicit--leaves it to your imagination.)
on December 11, 2014
I gave this novel a 4,0.
David Baldacci did a marvelous job with story.
When I first began reading this novel I was tempted to put it down.
Then I have had a problem not completing a story once I have started one.
So I gave it a couple more chapters and was unable to put it down. It was such an intriguing story.
Will Robie was a man ( character ) with more talent and morals. Then just killing people.
The novel did definitely have a thrilling plot.
I am looking forward to reading the next book of the series.