Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

on February 29, 2012
The Instant Survivor is a book that I wish existed on July 5th 2010. That's the day I lost my mom, brother and sister-in-law in a plane crash. I stumbled my way through grief, as if under water, for more than a year. As I read it now, I can clearly see how having a plan, a system, to make your way through a crisis could have made a profound difference - not just in the speed with which I would have bounced back, but in how you I chose to interpret and frame my life going forward. Better late than never though!

The author compellingly guides the reader through a comprehensive, but by no means overwhelming, system for facing whatever challenge you have and emerging out the other side stronger, better. He peppers each stage with real-life stories of celebrities, business stars, and "normal folks" too, which pull you in and illustrate his points beautifully. They keep the pace quick and ensure key points stick.

I particularly loved the survivor questions and the workshops built into each chapter of the book. I scribbled away in my notebook as I read and felt empowered and refreshed by the end of the book. Far from just a book for business crises, it's a must-have step-by-step guide to navigating any tough spot in life - a resource you'll turn to again and again I'm sure.
2 helpful votes
on October 8, 2012
Jim Moorhead, noted crisis consultant and expert, has put his knowledge into a little book appropriate to individuals and organizational managers. It is not technical book for particular disasters (hurricane disruption, terror threats and the like), but a reasonable primer outlining how individuals can take control of their lives and work when under crisis and stress. Frankly, Moorhead presents his material well and provides a valuable service to readers as well. His writing certainly makes key points and action steps readily available everyone. Essentially a proactive approach, Moorhead offers four aspects of meeting hard and soft disruptions; (1) stay frosty - remain calm, emotionally detached, (2) secure support - tap into your network, (3) stand tall - take charge of your situation, and (4) save for the future - prepare for post crisis success. I found sections on maintaining your brand and communicating with trusted persons around you very helpful. There is no doubt that each reader will come away with help which is very personal. Turn some pages and see what you think.
on March 15, 2012
In The Instant Survivor, I think Moorhead takes the understanding of crisis management to a new level. This activity began a couple of decades ago with PR people developing new methods to cover up a problem. That was band aid work and often disingenuous. Moorhead explores both individual and corporate problems, and soon you realize that both need to learn from crises and build for a better future. Your reputation, your brand, your friends, and your supporters are your most important assets in this world. Moorhead gives you tools for remembering and recovering those when you are most in need. I can't recommend this book more highly for those in crisis or for those who want to be prepared to help themselves, their friends, and their organizations.
on February 24, 2012
I just read this book and I am so impressed! First, Jim Moorhead is a fantastic writer and he uses a lot of examples and storytelling techniques, so the material is never dry. But most importantly, he walks us through exactly how to weather and survive any type of life crisis based on his own experiences of overcoming his own major crises (and helping large companies do the same). This is an incredible resource for anyone who needs a bouy and a rescue-boat in a major life storm. Grab this book whether you need it now or not--we all face crises unexpectedly and this will be a key resource to have on the shelf when trouble hits.
2 helpful votes
on July 4, 2015
This book is and can be all so usual as a personal and professional tool. Check it out. It's an easy read and easy to apply it's concepts. Although it's my from belief there is no such thing as "common sense", this book makes sound sense.
on February 1, 2014
This is an extremely important book for anyone, but particularly those in businesses or occupations that deal with a lot of change and risk. I read it after going through the closure of a franchise business, and it helped me tremendously. I consider it one if the top 10 books in my library - I'll recommend it, but no one borrows my copy!
on June 29, 2013
Moorhead uses his own wisdom coupled with real-life stories of people who've failed and lived to tell about it to help the reader build a plan for survival. Helped clarify my own thinking during my own crisis, and provided me another tool in the way forward.
on November 26, 2015
Great book helped me alot
on March 11, 2014
Easy to read, must read for corporate leaders. Better to read in advance, and be prepared. Good corporate real-life case studies.
on November 29, 2012
This book should be a must-read for anyone serious in the sales and/or business field. I have enjoyed it immensely.