Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

11,913
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 9,563 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11,913 reviews
on January 10, 2014
I want to add my voice to the legions who are disappointed in this purchase because of the Oprah comments. If I had known the book was going to be formatted this way, I NEVER would have bought it. EVER. Imagine sitting down to read one of your favorite authors, and just as the book is pulling you in, someone interrupts you. And then again. And again. It's HORRID. I wouldn't mind reading Ms. Winfrey's comments once I had a chance to enjoy the book and form my OWN impressions, but this is insulting. It speaks to the enormity of Ms. Winfrey's ego that she thinks her words are as important as the author's. I think Amazon should give all of us disgruntled customers a chance to buy another edition, and "credit" us the amount we spent on this travesty.
5150+ comments| 2,810 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2014
I would like to be able to eliminate Oprah's notes. They do not have importance to the interpretation of the text for this reader. Those comments get in the way of being able to read smoothly without interruption. I am really unhappy with the purchase of this e-book. I like the writing of Sue Monk Kidd and wish I had purchased this book in paper so that I could skip over Oprah's notes.
5150+ comments| 1,819 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2014
I was able to purchase the Kindle version without Oprah's notes. Search for: The Invention of Wings A Novel Kindle Edition. The version named "The Invention of Wings: A Novel" is clean. Or go to the Oprah Book Club edition and click on the plus sign next to the Kindle Edition in the Formats box, which has the pricing for hardcover, audio, etc. Click on the picture of the book jacket to "Look Inside" to ensure that you are purchasing the copy without underlined passages and blue ink. This version is $11.99 as opposed to $11.24 for the version with Oprah's notes. Thanks to readers who posted this information. I would not have found this version without their help.
5150+ comments| 2,030 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2014
As soon as I started reading this book I noticed it was riddled with these blue notes which threw me off. After searching around I realized these were Oprah's notes. No where in the title or book cover did I see anything that suggested that this had Oprah's notes in it, so I returned the kindle book right away. I was very disappointed because I really like this author and wanted to read the book that SHE wrote and form my own opinions. Luckily a friend told me how I could get the book without Oprah's notes by pressing on the plus sign when ordering the book and getting the other edition. Now how many people are going to go back and do that, which is a shame, because so far it's a really good book without Oprah's input.
Amaon I'm ashamed at you, you should know better and the ones your going to hurt by doing this is the author because people will be returning ithe book once they figure out what they have or just won't buy it once the word gets out.
I feel bad for the author it really is a good book.
55 comments| 742 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2014
I loved this story and I loved the writing. I am moved to explore more of the true story behind it. I wish it was available without Oprah's comments and highlights. It was annoying and difficult to navigate—especially at the beginning. I am a diehard Kindle reader. I have four Kindles, but I would recommend a hardcover edition until an Oprah free edition is available.
1212 comments| 581 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2014
I wish I could have gotten a kindle copy that didn't have Oprah's notes all over the place. I couldn't care less what Oprah thinks of this or any other book. It was very distracting to have her highlights and notes pop up all the time and then have to struggle to get back the just the regular book. The book itself is wonderful. Just don't get the "Oprah" copy. I know I never will again.
33 comments| 497 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2015
I will be forever indebted to Ms.Kidd for introducing me to these great American women. I am ashamed that I never knew anything about these women other than their names and a brief description of who they were as recorded by Judy Chicago in her "Dinner Party". Obviously, my education was woefully incomplete as I had never known how important these women were, not only to the Abolitionist Movement but to the Women's Movement too. I really don't want to go into detail here as I want others to read the book and find out for themselves. These women are So SO Historically Important! I just can't believe that they weren't ever mentioned in any historical accounts of this period in American History. Well no, I CAN believe it, I just don't want to. Now I'm unsure of everything I thought I knew about our history. But this book has inspired me to do further studies into Women's History.
My criticisms of the book are not based the subject matter. That I enjoyed. And I also enjoyed how Ms. Kidd created characters that bolstered the facts and dovetailed into the storyline. My criticism is that I wished she wouldn't have included so many details about Sarah's life. Why? Because I would have rather had my curiosity piqued instead of reading about ALL the details of her and her sister's lives. I was inspired to find out more about other unsung historical women like these two, but I really would have liked to have been inspired by the book to do more research into the two sisters's lives. One final thought: Perhaps I was a little asleep at the wheel when I first started reading this book but it wasn't until the end that I knew it was an account of the lives of people who had actually lived. All along I thought it was just Fiction. I felt pretty dumb, and sad too as I really would have read it much differently had I known the truth. If I had known that I would have researched and read at the same time, which is what I like to do with these types of books. But, I also didn't read any reviews or promotional material on the book or I would have known that. Plus I read an eBook version just jumping to the very beginning of the book. Oh well.
on May 24, 2017
I enjoyed how this book was portrayed through two different characters, from two very different worlds. It was similar to The Help in many ways, mostly the slave vs. owner perspectives, but it also was different in some good ways. I thought the internal struggles that Sarah went through were very realistic, and anyone in this day in age can relate to many of the same issues (trying to find a decent mate, struggling with family relationships, trying to find one's "place" in the world at large). I appreciated how it was depicted that being a high class society woman in the early/mid 1800s was no picnic, especially when a character has such a strong opinion that is vastly different than nearly everyone else around her. The character of Hetty (aka Handful) was also an enlightening perspective, although I didn't feel as though this character grew as much as Sarah's did. In reading the Author's note at the end, Kidd tells us that the character of Sarah Grimke (and her sister Nina) were in fact real, and the character of Hetty - while still a real person, actually died early in life, so her story is more fabricated that Sarah. Apart from having someone with first-hand experience being a slave, I'm not sure how Hetty's character could have been developed more, since there's no way a white woman in the 21st century would ever know how a slave from the 1830s would think and/or feel. I did like the insight into the state of the country at the time, the dissension between north and south was very apparent, which provides good context for the tensions among the characters. Overall, this was definitely worth reading!
on April 4, 2017
The Grimke sisters will knock your socks off with their brave fight against slavery in the early 1800s. The older sister, Sarah, knew instinctively that slavery was wrong when she was only four years old, growing up in Charleston, S.C., the daughter of a slave owner. Sue Monk's impeccable research brings us to a greater understanding of the inhuman excesses of slavery and the personal degradation and hazards experienced by the abolitionists as Sarah and her Angelina campaign throughout the Northeast and Midwest to recruits others to the cause. Read this book, and then be sure to read the Author's Notes, the section where Monk provides a road map to the actual events that took place and the places where her writer's imagination enriched the story.
on July 16, 2017
This story instantly touched my heart and stayed with me long after completing it. The author was effective in bringing the main characters of Sarah and Nina Grimke back to life and bringing the predominantly fictional character of Hettie to life. As I read the story I felt as if I was living in the world of Sarah and Hettie, feeling their frustrations and struggles, fearing their future. As much as I was aware of the times of American slavery, revisiting those times from the viewpoints of Sarah and Hettie brought about new information and knowledge that made me feel for the human struggle to be free and ultimately to be truly one’s self. Though Sarah’s and Hettie’s life position contrasted clearly, they shared a strong commonality of feeling imprisoned by their world. Sarah, being solely female, could not fulfill her true passions, and Hettie, with the addition of being a slave, could not live her own life.

It wasn’t until Sarah left her environment that she was able to be the person she truly was and in the end, fearless, along with her already fearless younger sister, Nina. Through that, she was able to not only find a better ending for herself, but for Hettie.

With this said, this story was nothing short of thought provoking, as it was entertaining. Though this is a historical fiction novel, I truly believe, this will cross the interests of any reader and I actually encourage all readers to read this. With the underlying message and the main characters’ personal struggles, this story will relate to anyone, as I’m sure many, if not all, will and have gone through periods in their lives where they struggled to be fearless, to be who they truly are.