Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

11,757
Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$4.93+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 9,438 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11,757 reviews
on January 10, 2014
I want to add my voice to the legions who are disappointed in this purchase because of the Oprah comments. If I had known the book was going to be formatted this way, I NEVER would have bought it. EVER. Imagine sitting down to read one of your favorite authors, and just as the book is pulling you in, someone interrupts you. And then again. And again. It's HORRID. I wouldn't mind reading Ms. Winfrey's comments once I had a chance to enjoy the book and form my OWN impressions, but this is insulting. It speaks to the enormity of Ms. Winfrey's ego that she thinks her words are as important as the author's. I think Amazon should give all of us disgruntled customers a chance to buy another edition, and "credit" us the amount we spent on this travesty.
6666 comments| 2,713 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2014
I would like to be able to eliminate Oprah's notes. They do not have importance to the interpretation of the text for this reader. Those comments get in the way of being able to read smoothly without interruption. I am really unhappy with the purchase of this e-book. I like the writing of Sue Monk Kidd and wish I had purchased this book in paper so that I could skip over Oprah's notes.
7676 comments| 1,762 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2014
I was able to purchase the Kindle version without Oprah's notes. Search for: The Invention of Wings A Novel Kindle Edition. The version named "The Invention of Wings: A Novel" is clean. Or go to the Oprah Book Club edition and click on the plus sign next to the Kindle Edition in the Formats box, which has the pricing for hardcover, audio, etc. Click on the picture of the book jacket to "Look Inside" to ensure that you are purchasing the copy without underlined passages and blue ink. This version is $11.99 as opposed to $11.24 for the version with Oprah's notes. Thanks to readers who posted this information. I would not have found this version without their help.
6161 comments| 1,964 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2014
As soon as I started reading this book I noticed it was riddled with these blue notes which threw me off. After searching around I realized these were Oprah's notes. No where in the title or book cover did I see anything that suggested that this had Oprah's notes in it, so I returned the kindle book right away. I was very disappointed because I really like this author and wanted to read the book that SHE wrote and form my own opinions. Luckily a friend told me how I could get the book without Oprah's notes by pressing on the plus sign when ordering the book and getting the other edition. Now how many people are going to go back and do that, which is a shame, because so far it's a really good book without Oprah's input.
Amaon I'm ashamed at you, you should know better and the ones your going to hurt by doing this is the author because people will be returning ithe book once they figure out what they have or just won't buy it once the word gets out.
I feel bad for the author it really is a good book.
66 comments| 711 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2014
I loved this story and I loved the writing. I am moved to explore more of the true story behind it. I wish it was available without Oprah's comments and highlights. It was annoying and difficult to navigate—especially at the beginning. I am a diehard Kindle reader. I have four Kindles, but I would recommend a hardcover edition until an Oprah free edition is available.
1313 comments| 565 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2014
I wish I could have gotten a kindle copy that didn't have Oprah's notes all over the place. I couldn't care less what Oprah thinks of this or any other book. It was very distracting to have her highlights and notes pop up all the time and then have to struggle to get back the just the regular book. The book itself is wonderful. Just don't get the "Oprah" copy. I know I never will again.
33 comments| 480 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 13, 2016
The story begins in Charleston, South Carolina, in the early 1800's on Sarah Grimke's 11th birthday in which she is given Handful as her very own slave. Sarah wants no part of this and tries to return Handful but is refused and reprimanded. The two become friends, not exactly best friends, but they like each other well enough and Sarah teaches Handful to read and write, a crime during that time period. The novel continues with Sarah narrating one chapter and Handful the next. Sarah is smart and ambitious but her parents soon make clear she will do nothing but marry well and that is all a woman can expect.

Handful's mother, Charlotte, is a prominent character in this story as well. She is a very talented seamstress and she makes a story quilt which details the story of what she had learned from her grandmother "that people in Africa used to be able to fly." Charlotte tells Handful that her shoulder blades are all that are left of her wings but one day you will get your wings back. Charlotte further does little rebellions all the time which get her in trouble and one day she is severely punished for stealing from Mrs. Grimke.

Of course, Sarah Grimke is a well known historical abolitionist who became a Quaker; Handful is made up. Although much of the novel is the retelling of Sarah's life, a lot of it is fiction as well. It is so well written though it will pull you in and not let go. I loved both these characters and Charlotte as well. Of course, it still breaks my heart to read how people were enslaved and how they were treated but this is truly a remarkable book which everyone should read.
on September 3, 2015
I don't remember the last book that moved me so completely! The story comes to life from the first sentence. I could hardly put it down, and I don't say that lightly. I am an avid reader, but tend to slowly savor a book. This one I could not put down. It was worth being tired in the morning! The characters are beautiful and heartbreaking. The story line seems impossible but is historically based.
I cried though parts of this book, smiled and laughed through others. It connected on a visceral level. The horrors and the ecstasies, the suffering and the triumphs...all reminders of our human condition. When I turned the last page, I almost couldn't say goodbye to the characters I had come to know so well.
You must read this book!
review image
on January 27, 2015
I will be forever indebted to Ms.Kidd for introducing me to these great American women. I am ashamed that I never knew anything about these women other than their names and a brief description of who they were as recorded by Judy Chicago in her "Dinner Party". Obviously, my education was woefully incomplete as I had never known how important these women were, not only to the Abolitionist Movement but to the Women's Movement too. I really don't want to go into detail here as I want others to read the book and find out for themselves. These women are So SO Historically Important! I just can't believe that they weren't ever mentioned in any historical accounts of this period in American History. Well no, I CAN believe it, I just don't want to. Now I'm unsure of everything I thought I knew about our history. But this book has inspired me to do further studies into Women's History.
My criticisms of the book are not based the subject matter. That I enjoyed. And I also enjoyed how Ms. Kidd created characters that bolstered the facts and dovetailed into the storyline. My criticism is that I wished she wouldn't have included so many details about Sarah's life. Why? Because I would have rather had my curiosity piqued instead of reading about ALL the details of her and her sister's lives. I was inspired to find out more about other unsung historical women like these two, but I really would have liked to have been inspired by the book to do more research into the two sisters's lives. One final thought: Perhaps I was a little asleep at the wheel when I first started reading this book but it wasn't until the end that I knew it was an account of the lives of people who had actually lived. All along I thought it was just Fiction. I felt pretty dumb, and sad too as I really would have read it much differently had I known the truth. If I had known that I would have researched and read at the same time, which is what I like to do with these types of books. But, I also didn't read any reviews or promotional material on the book or I would have known that. Plus I read an eBook version just jumping to the very beginning of the book. Oh well.
on April 17, 2017
This book is a fascinating tale of women not only surviving, but find their voices and thriving in a time in American history that many American's would like to pretend never happened. I was immediately drawn in by the narrative, and I read this novel with a voracious appetite for more. Only when I reached the end of the story, wishing to remain immersed in it for just a bit longer, did I learn from the author's notes that the novel was based on real people leaving their mark on history. As a white descendant of an African indentured servant, the reality of slavery and racial injustice is all too real to me, and I am ever thankful for the courage and conviction of people like Sarah and Angeline Grimke. This book has ignited in me a desire to learn more about the Grimke sisters.