Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 116 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 172 reviews
on July 27, 2016
It’s entertaining, yet full of significance and profound teachings. The settings are beautifully described, the characters are rich and its surprising how much you care for them in just a few lines, the action sequences well-choreographed and described, the philosophical moments a little too shallow at times but for the most part adequate and will make you stop reading a couple of minutes to meditate on its concepts.

As a survivalist lover I specially enjoyed the –lone in the woodlands- parts, and there’s plenty of those, As a meditator an spiritual searcher Dan Millman seems to me one of the most clear, down to earth yet profound writers I've encountered.

Overall I loved it.
on July 22, 2016
This is a wonderful "Prequel" to the Way of The Peaceful Warrior book series by Dan Millman. It presents a a number of simple "truths" wrapped in a great story about the character Socrates from the book Way of The Peaceful Warrior. I suggest reading the other books first, then delving into this book. Dan Millman has a way of bringing the reader into the main character and unveiling simple human motives, advice, and spiritual principles. It has been a long time since I read the book so I can't comment on specifics. I got this copy as a gift for a friend who read the first book and wanted to read this book as soon as I mentioned it. Even if one is not so inclined to believe the spiritual principles presented within, the story line is gripping and a good read in and of itself. I strongly recommend this book to anyone, but especially those attracted to the saga, or the writings of Dan Millman.
on November 10, 2016
Just finished this book today, and I found it a very enjoyable read. I've read the previous books in the Peaceful Warrior series, and enjoyed them as well. I like Dan Millman's writing style, and from the books of his that I've read, he has a good flow, never getting too slow at any point. The story being set in Russia in the late 1800's kind of threw me off, but actually got interested enough in the subject that I researched Cossacks. The martial arts portions of the book were pretty cool, especially his training with Serafim. The feelings of anger, anguish, and revenge, and Sergei's transformation, is inspiring. It was a great read and quite inspirational.
on March 14, 2012
The first book in the Peaceful Warrior saga by Dan Millman, this 2005 novel brings into focus the forces that shaped Socrates, Millman's spiritual mentor. The story starts slow but builds to a satisfying climax. Although the spiritual content is not as compelling as Millman's previous two novels, the book is still a compelling, entertaining read.

This novel is more about the narrative than the spiritual journey compared to Millman's first two Peaceful Warrior books. As Socrates' education moves beyond battle skills and he begins his spiritual training, we see how he evolved to become the peaceful warrior who later mentored Millman. The book demonstrates that warrior training is holistic, requiring growth in mind, body, and spirit. Combat training becomes a way of life, a path to illumination. Although Socrates' training with the monks reveals some fascinating insights into the mind/body connection, to someone familiar to Millman's first two books, this novel doesn't offer much new insight.

My take: Millman shifts gears with this novel and delivers a page-turner of a plot by comparison to his earlier work. The revelations at the end of the book are stunning and satisfying. However, this is not his most polished piece of work. The plot is structured chronologically, so we experience his childhood in pre-revolution Russia for much too long before the story starts to sizzle. Millman's period research is fascinating, with details about the Cossack and Jewish minorities that bring the story alive. Readers new to Dan Millman should first read Way of the Peaceful Warrior before starting this book.
on June 12, 2017
If you've seen the movie "Peaceful Warrior" and you've read the book that inspired the movie, then this book is a must read. Five stars doesn't do this story justice.
on May 19, 2010
Having read "Way of a Peaceful Warrior" years ago, I quickly bought "The Journeys of Socrates" but it sat on the shelf unread. The Universe has a way of working things out so recently I noticed the book in a box of books still packed from a move. I decided it was time to read.

The Universe was correct.

Though I had trouble getting into the beginning of the book, things turned around and soon I was drawn into the journey. The beginning tells the history of Socrates and at first I didn't see the relevance and wondered where "the good stuff" was; I later realized that this history was a key part of understanding Socrates, where he'd come from and what he overcame to become the person he was at the end of the book.

Socrates' journey is so much like many in life. We hold on to anger and resentments and they overcome us, possess us. We hold them for years just as Socrates did. I only hope that more in the world learn to grow, evolve and let go of such anger and resentment to move on to the next level of themselves.

Millman's prequel to "Way of a Peaceful Warrior" is an outstanding tome depicting Socrates' path to becoming a peaceful warrior. The book is filled with guidance and truth. I underlined many sentences throughout my reading.
on February 28, 2017
I am a warrior. Always have been. Needed to be to survive and prosper. Early on that meant being independent, strong and tough. Now, though gray haired and strong-for-my-age, I increasingly value the wisdom of becoming one and valuing our interdependence. This book nudges in that direction and I commend it to all who value continued growth.
on June 27, 2017
This book is wonderful and amazing. I recommend this to everyone.
on March 6, 2016
As a fan of The Peaceful Warrior, I had to get this book for further insight into the Socrates character. This has to be one of the best books I have read on life transformation and development of character. All martial artists or those that consider themselves a "warrior" need to read this book. Anyone will find it an eye-opening experience into that mindset and what it truly takes to endure yet overcome. A very enlightening read.
on April 5, 2015
Couldn't put the book down... through life's ups and downs the journey of learning, growing should never end... this book will inspire you with a greater sense of urgency to move down your path of learning and growing