Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 85 reviews
on May 1, 2017
This book stands out from others in the genre. Well organized with easily usable exercises summarized at the end of each chapter. The tips and tools provided are unique and helpful (so good that I'm actually going back, re-reading, and using them - a rarity for me). The author's humor kept me rolling and interested cover to cover.
on September 22, 2014
Possibly my favorite book by Martha Beck, and I think I've read them all. A little clearer than Steering By Starlight (for the beginning to this sort of self-help book) and quite practical.
on February 2, 2011
If you've ever thought about creating more joy in your life, this book is for you.

In 2003, I decided more joy was exactly what I needed and read Martha Beck's book "The Joy Diet". Reading it changed my life. Using her book as a guide, I learned to slow down; take relevant, targeted risks; and treat myself better on a daily basis, which led me to three wonderful years in the Peace Corps and to a new career as a life coach and cultural travel host. Almost 8 years later, I am still recommending her book to friends, to clients and on my blog.

Beck's approach is simple and methodical. She shares clear-cut steps and tells you how to combine them for the biggest impact, and then she sort-of kicks you out of the nest, respecting your choices and trusting that if you use the steps she has shared, you will be ready to create the life you want. And, you will.

As always, the first step - learn to do nothing - was the hardest for me, and Beck won't let you move on until you get it right. I will be eternally thankful to her for that. Her words led me to step back and slow down at a time when I truly needed it. And, her light and breezy way of writing kept me interested and engaged. As silly as this may sound, the short length and size of her book, also put me at ease - I knew I wouldn't have to wade through hundreds of pages to get to the good stuff.

Don't let the number of steps or the description above intimidate you; Beck walks you through the process and into a joy filled life.

Enjoy,
Patrice Koerper
[...]
"Happiness is my constant traveling companion, if I only remember to open my suitcase." P. Koerper
on February 7, 2014
I purchased this book last year with several other similar books by different authors. I think people who are looking for a book about finding joy are probably like me; Wishing they felt more joy in their life but feeling as if they are falling short. (or maybe that isn't you...if not, sorry for the generalization).

I was doing each of the activities as the book suggested (for the most part). It does take some time during the day. That makes it tough, but it was worth it.

I found several of the chapters really useful when I sat down and wrote out my thoughts. But that's the thing...you actually HAVE TO DO SOMETHING. I know I gained some insight at the time and I was calmer when following the advice.

The activities that have the reader identify an issue, answer a series of questions, and reframe the problem at the end was very helpful to me. It does take time to do the activity, but if you do it BEFORE what is perceived as a stressful event it can help...it helped me when dealing with some difficult family members.

The best part for me was "naming the enemy'. I was always told that when I don't like someone it is because that person somehow reflects those parts of myself I don't like.

That really didn't ever sit well with me, because I thought: I am not a loudmouth, but I feel really agitated around loud (translated: annoying) people. The exercise has the reader reframe thinking into something along the lines of: It's a part of me I need to develop more. So instead of thinking: "I guess I am a loudmouth, too"...I realize I find loud people annoying because I feel like I am not heard (i.e. not assertive.) Maybe you already knew that information...but it was a revelation for me. I have several people recently who have rubbed me the wrong way and doing this "name the enemy" helps me identify what my real problem is...

Before I finished the book I had a crisis in my life...and of course should have kept reading and doing the work. But I did not and fell into old habits. I have looked through my notebook from my time on the "diet" and realized how valuable the things I wrote down were to me. I currently struggle because I don't actually practice what she suggests. I also noticed I stopped at the chapter on Risk...which I think is because I wasn't ready to take any risks.

Still, I have given the book 5 stars because of what it offered me and if those were the only chapters I would still think it was great. Even if the rest of the book didn't ring as true, I would still recommend the book to people who are willing to put a little time in and try it. I plan on starting over and getting to the end this time. I also like Martha's wit...but it may not be for everyone.
on October 22, 2015
I keep coming back to this book! I love the way the author sets out a program, week by week (even though I've also skipped around in the book). I love the ideas she presents, too: they ring true, they make sense, and they are things you can really do, things that will make a positive difference for you. I also love her sense of humor.
on December 2, 2016
Great book - love the reader, too - she had great personality. Great thoughts that I am going to TRY to implement in my life!
on July 16, 2017
ok
on May 2, 2014
If you are curious on how to be a more proactive, focused, spiriutal, & successful person this audio book can be a great benefit. Martha Beck shares real life expirences we can all relate to. She is a genius at getting to the "heart" of the matter and giving you the map to unlock your own potentials for bringing in highest good in your life and those you love.
on July 15, 2016
I love this book. It gives you a few things to do each day which really does make you feel pretty good. I haven't finished the book yet, but I plan to do so.
on May 31, 2015
Martha's advice for living with more joy marries the ethereal realms of our being with the practical applications needed to manifest and access their potential! A wonderful read and constant companion throughout our daily difficulties!