Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 361 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 941 reviews
on December 23, 2015
I'm a huge fan of Amy Tan..... I have read all her books, have shared them, read them again, and again..... this I think was her first book (or first made into a movie), it's been years and decided to read again and couldn't find, so ordered and loved it so much, I got one for my daughter also (I'm keeping this copy for me). This is not just a story of 4 friends and their 4 daughters.... it's the story of each mother having a history, that changed them, having friendships for decades, and how we must never assume we know it all. Four friends from China, different stories for each, and how each tries to reach their daughters who were born in America, and who have no inkling of the rich and stormy past to bring them to this place and time. Each mother is trying to reach their child, to share lessons, to help them find their Chinese side inside of them. Reminds me how a mother sees more than her child realizes.

Wonderful how Amy Tam weaves the tales from one daughter back to the mothers story, and you become invested in each of their lives. A rich and life affirming look at relationships. Loved it.

Magical !
on May 9, 2017
A sensitive, multi-generational story of mothers and daughters, cousins and aunties, intertwined with the stories of the mothers as young girls in China and the conflicts and similarities of the generations.
Four immigrant Chinese women, Suyuan, An-Mei, Lindo and Ying Ying, survivors of their traumatic pasts, each relate their own stories in vivid detail, in the hope of teaching their American daughters to believe in themselves and achieve a better life in America.
Having grown up in America, the daughters, Jing Mei, Rose, Waverly, and Lena, in turn relate their struggles to understand their mothers, and the cultural differences and divisions between them.
The book is descriptive, emotional, warm, and intelligent, as well as informative, Should not be missed! Recommended.
on April 30, 2016
If you're looking for a plot, don't bother. If you're looking for character development and a description of cultural conflict between generations, this is your book. I confess to being a little confused on the characters from segment to segment and I think the author could have differentiated the mothers better. That having been said, it was a delightful read.
on April 10, 2017
Amy Tan uses vignettes of different mothers and daughters going back and forth in time to tell their stories. Although at first, it was hard to keep track of who was who, Ms. Tan reveals their Chinese culture with such beauty that one can't help but be absorbed in the narrative. Her prose is poetic, full of symbolism, and precise. Every word counts. She brings a different world, a different culture to life with the eye of an artist painting an exotic garden.
on January 23, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. These are heartfelt stories of mothers and daughters and their tumultuous relationships and journeys through life. Each woman tells a story of her past which ultimately effects her future in fascinating ways. The only problems I had reading the e-book was I had to go back and match up mothers and daughters which would have been easier with a paper back! The realizations of love and understanding come to each character as their stories resolve into present day. I was sad to get to the end of the book.
on February 18, 2015
How on earth do you write a review for--what I can only describe as--a classic? I read this book for the first time in 1994 as part of a high school journalism project. It's been 11 years since my first read and I have read it at least six more times and own three copies: a hardcover, a mass market paperback (with the movie cover), and a Kindle edition. I think that speaks louder than any synopsis and opinion I could reveal here.

If you haven't read it, come out from under that rock and get to page turnin'. This is my favourite book of all time.
on April 12, 2017
Amy Tan introduced me to the Chinese culture. This was a re-read of the first book I ever read by this author & it remains her seminal work. Through the eyes of 3 Chinese - American families from 2 generations we are introduced to customs & the beliefs & superstitions guiding them of first & second generation Chinese families.
on July 19, 2016
I purchased this book to read with my daughter. It was required summer reading for her literature class but I knew we'd both enjoy it as part of our private book club too. It's so well written and contains so many teachable moments. We discussed mother-daughter dynamics, red flags in relationships, and tons more. Simply a good read. We rented the movie after completing the book to get a different perspective - that's always fun!
on November 25, 2014
I bought this book for my English class at the university. The book is very interesting a but little boring at times. The stories in the book are long and there are many people in each one . I think this book is good for students.

Me compré este libro para mi clase de ingles a la universidad. El libro es muy interesante pero pequeño aburrido a veces. La historias en el libro son largo y hay muchos gente en cado uno. Pienso este el libro es bueno para la estudiantes.
on October 28, 2014
Student didn't feel book was easy to follow along with but this is another required read for High school. I'm sure the teachers have a reason for the books they require the kids to read. So the price is better while getting them from Amazon and we didn't have to run all over town to try finding the book.