Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 682 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 867 reviews
on July 3, 2013
I love Ingpen's work with Sterling Illustrated Classics. This edition of The Jungle Book is going to be my daughter's literature book next year (3rd grade, 9 years old). This is our third volume illustrated by Ingpen. I intend to add as many of them as I can find to my kids' permanent collections.

Kipling's original jungle stories were published as serials in a magazine. They were later collected into The Jungle Book, Books 1 and 2. I have four copies of The Jungle Book, and they each have a different selection of stories in them! The Mowgli stories that most people are familiar with - from his early life until he leaves the jungle - make up most of Book 1. Each story was also published with a poem. This edition has all of the original stories from Book 1 and the accompanying poetry.

A couple commenters have called the pictures "too graphic." This is such a personal distinction that I can't really comment, other than to say that I will hand the book off to my daighter with no concern. There are plenty of drawings of Mowgli that show half or all of his naked booty. There is a picture of him tanning Shere Khan's hide. There is a picture of the Indian god Shiv. There are two scenes of animals fighting - Baloo being attacked by monkeys, and Rikki Tikki Tavi attacking a cobra. There is no gore that I noticed, nor any particularly frightening or violent images.

The books itself seems like good quality - the paper is thick, the binding is tight, the printing is crisp, and there is a sewn-in ribbon bookmark. The Wind in the Willows has held up nicely to regular, light use during school time. The two-page illustrated spreads are especially beautiful. The pictures have a very true-life feel; they aren't cartoonish at all. On the other hand, I have wondered if such so many beautifully detailed illustrations prevent the imagination from forming it's own pictures.

Overall, we love the volumes that we have so far, and we look forward to collecting more of them.
on April 8, 2009
I bought this book to read with my 9 year-old son. We have the Disney books and movies at home but since he is an avid reader and I love Rudyard Kipling I thought it was time to find him the real deal and this book is it. I like everything about it, the font type, the illustrations, and the writing is, well... Rudyard Kipling. Beautiful, rich, provocative language that unleashes a child's imagination. My son and I devoured it in a few nights and after we were done it led to a really deep discussion on the differences with the Disney's version. It was a welcomed reminder that we can understimate both our children's capacity to digest the classics and their appeal to them.
on June 28, 2015
When my grandfather died when I was five years old, we inherited his complete set of Kipling. We lived in a very small town with no library, and I practically ate Kipling's books. When I was thirteen, my mother decided to give them to the library. I protested, yelled, cried, and told her that I needed them for my master's thesis. She told me I was too young to know what I wanted to write my thesis about.

I wrote my thesis about Kipling about twenty years later.

My mother apologized, particularly because I had to buy a whole set of Kipling again. It wasn't cheap.

So I have loved the Jungle Books since I was five, and I'm 71 now. When I found these on Kindle, I instantly downloaded them, so they would be available for my next trip to the hospital. The grandchildren don't have Kindles, so I can't give them this set. When I'm able to get out and about, I look for books for them that I loved as a child. The oldest granddaughter got the Jungle Books several years ago, and went through them in a week. Their parents have asked us to give them books as gifts whenever possible. We do. And Kipling is high on the list.
on May 29, 2016
I have read (and loved) Kipling since I was very young. And now, in my dotage, I decided it was long past the time to share him and his works with my grandchildren. Maybe they will also want a mongoose for a pet after reading about the magnificent battles of Rikki-Tikki-Tava, something neither the law nor my mother would abide in those distant days of my past. Or find solace in some of this poems as life speeds past as I have for more decades than I now care to admit. Kipling was not, by our lights, politically correct, but he was a man of his age, and he wrote from the heart with wit and care and I suggest that he still has much to offer in terms of life's truths, such as we can understand them, that he was and remains a preeminent 'teller of tales,' and that those tales are worthy of being shared with those we love. Oh Mowgli, man-cub, may the jungles protect thee and thine,
on August 30, 2013
I made this purchase as a gift to a child, purchasing a second copy for his brother. Physically speaking, this is a beautiful book. As far as the writing goes, I sincerely believe that there is little on the market that can compare with Mr. Kipling, who positively adored children. He wrote always with the basic intent of opening the door of wonder in every child's mind.
His work will be honored for centuries to come.
The seller of this beautiful work has my genuine gratitude.
on June 5, 2013
What a pleasure to re-read Mowgli's adventures with friends and foes. Fie on those who remarked here they found the illustrations too graphic. I believe they are age appropriate for the seven-year-old who will receive this book on his birthday. I read it first to see if I thought there were any problems with the text or pictures. There are not, and I expect this edition to join other books from the Sterling Illustrated Classics I am adding to his family's library. I'm always looking for inventive and creative male protagonists in fiction for ages 5-10. These stories fit the bill.
on April 22, 2016
I was so excited to find an edition of this book with my favorite story, "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" on the cover. I was disappointed though that this book was poorly published. I read a previous review where someone said the same thing, but I took my chances and tried it out myself. Firstly, the book feels very cheaply made and the back of the book is very blurry and hard to read. The text on the inside of the book was readable, but it was horribly organized. Like someone else said in a previous comment , it looks as if someone just copied and pasted the stories from online and binded them together. I read over "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" and found that some sentences were repeated and randomly printed in a bigger font in all caps and also sometimes there would be big spaces on the pages! And stories would also just start right after the other on the same page as the previous instead of starting on a new page. I've attached some pictures, so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. All in all, the stories are still there, but it's very annoying and hard to get past the unorganized look and repetition of lines.
review image review image review image review image
This is a very nicely arranged, pretty colouring book with a lot of very detailed images. This book has dual-sided images, with decent quality paper. I still recommend testing your markers or pens first to ensure that they do not bleed through. Some of the images in this book are white on black images and the majority of them are black on white.

Bits and pieces of the original story are quoted here and there throughout the book and a brief history of the jungle book is provided on the last page, as well as a short bit about Kipling. I like the way the pictures are arranged in this book, as there are plenty of variations in detail that allow the colourist to choose how complex of a picture they feel like working on. The paper works well with coloured pencils and gel pens and the pictures look fantastic once they have been coloured.

This would make a nice addition to the library of any book collector, someone who loves to color or as a gift for anyone who is a Kipling fan.
review image review image review image
on July 28, 2015
Both The Jungle Book and The Second Jungle Book are contained in one volume. I love rereading these books in the heat of Summer. It feels like India, and India is where most of the stores are set. The best known stories are the Mowgli tales. But some of the gems are the other shorts, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi about a mongoose, Servants of the Queen , in which pack and riding animals have a chat one night, Toomai of the Elephants watches them Dance, even an Inuit story of the North Pole. I admit that Disney colors my reading ... Shere Khan speaks with the voice of George Sanders and Baloo the Bear dispenses wisdom to me in the lazy tones of Phil Harris. The Jungle Books would be my Fahrenheit 451 book ... The one I would become to save.
on December 6, 2013
This book is a classic. I just bought it recently, but my mother used to read it to me when I was a child and I absolutely loved it then. . I am rereading it now and it is even more wonderful. This book is for both adults and children. Real classic literature, like the very best of all stories, the stories in the Jungle book are timeless and universal and deeply satisfying reads. Well worth it! Read it to your kids too! Studies show that reading to kids stimulates brain development and these are stories that children will absolutely love. I know I did-- both then and now!