Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 30, 2013
I made this purchase as a gift to a child, purchasing a second copy for his brother. Physically speaking, this is a beautiful book. As far as the writing goes, I sincerely believe that there is little on the market that can compare with Mr. Kipling, who positively adored children. He wrote always with the basic intent of opening the door of wonder in every child's mind.
His work will be honored for centuries to come.
The seller of this beautiful work has my genuine gratitude.
19 helpful votes
20 helpful votes
on July 3, 2013
I love Ingpen's work with Sterling Illustrated Classics. This edition of The Jungle Book is going to be my daughter's literature book next year (3rd grade, 9 years old). This is our third volume illustrated by Ingpen. I intend to add as many of them as I can find to my kids' permanent collections.

Kipling's original jungle stories were published as serials in a magazine. They were later collected into The Jungle Book, Books 1 and 2. I have four copies of The Jungle Book, and they each have a different selection of stories in them! The Mowgli stories that most people are familiar with - from his early life until he leaves the jungle - make up most of Book 1. Each story was also published with a poem. This edition has all of the original stories from Book 1 and the accompanying poetry.

A couple commenters have called the pictures "too graphic." This is such a personal distinction that I can't really comment, other than to say that I will hand the book off to my daighter with no concern. There are plenty of drawings of Mowgli that show half or all of his naked booty. There is a picture of him tanning Shere Khan's hide. There is a picture of the Indian god Shiv. There are two scenes of animals fighting - Baloo being attacked by monkeys, and Rikki Tikki Tavi attacking a cobra. There is no gore that I noticed, nor any particularly frightening or violent images.

The books itself seems like good quality - the paper is thick, the binding is tight, the printing is crisp, and there is a sewn-in ribbon bookmark. The Wind in the Willows has held up nicely to regular, light use during school time. The two-page illustrated spreads are especially beautiful. The pictures have a very true-life feel; they aren't cartoonish at all. On the other hand, I have wondered if such so many beautifully detailed illustrations prevent the imagination from forming it's own pictures.

Overall, we love the volumes that we have so far, and we look forward to collecting more of them.
90 helpful votes
91 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on June 5, 2013
What a pleasure to re-read Mowgli's adventures with friends and foes. Fie on those who remarked here they found the illustrations too graphic. I believe they are age appropriate for the seven-year-old who will receive this book on his birthday. I read it first to see if I thought there were any problems with the text or pictures. There are not, and I expect this edition to join other books from the Sterling Illustrated Classics I am adding to his family's library. I'm always looking for inventive and creative male protagonists in fiction for ages 5-10. These stories fit the bill.
20 helpful votes
21 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on June 7, 2016
This is the first book I have ever found that got my 10 year old interested in a book to the point he has not wanted to set my tablet down for two days now. I had to Cox him into reading "just a few pages" yesterday. Luckily if turned out hot and I didn't really want him out in the heat.
I had to force him to set the tablet down while we ate dinner last night. Then had to tell him to turn the tablet off at bedtime.
This morning again I had to make him put it down to eat breakfast and force him out the door to play for a couple of hours because I knew it was going to get hot again. As soon as it started getting warm he was back inside. At least he asked if he could go back to reading his book. Lol. That's about the only attention I have gotten except a Goodnight last night.
I keep telling him I am glad he is enjoying it but he has to keep drinking fluids because of the heat. He begrudgingly gets up and gets some water but downs it fast just to get back to the tablet.
For a 10 year old, he hasn't had an . Problems with words or understanding this book.
I may have to make him do a book report for his teacher at this rate.
But to say he is enjoying it, that would be a Big understatement.
I have to warn you though. My 10 year old grandson isn't a normal 10 year old. Only when it comes to Having to read. With this book, he is showing me more then anything that he is more advanced in reading then he is even letting on to the teachers when they test him.
So not all 10 year Olds might be able to read the larger words. But I still think that with help, they would enjoy this book.
I received this product free or at a discount for my unbiased and honest review
3 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on May 9, 2016
This is a great all time story that was great to hear again after growing up with fond memories of this movie and story. I like the various characters and the descriptive details of the interactions and of the jungle setting the stage of a more immersive experience. This is a great way to venture in to a wonderful tale to capture the audience of several generations. I'd recommend this to friends and family that are in need of this type of item. I am under no obligation to give a positive review or rating and have received no incentives or rewards for doing so. I do not work for any brands or marketing companies. My only purpose is to highlight features and drawbacks that I would want to know about as a buyer, not hype the product for the manufacturer to increase sales. I check the accuracy of the description and listed features, and then add more details and descriptions about the product and my uses of it in my review. I hope is that these reviews are helpful to others as I would like an insight as well on items that I would like to purchase but am unsure of its positive features as well as its negative features. Please mark yes for my comments being helpful if you have enjoyed them. I'm just a regular Amazon customer who got this item, I did get this item at a discount or free in exchange for my honest review, evaluation, feedback, and comments gathered from real world use and experiences with the item.
11 comment|Report abuse
on May 24, 2016
This item was exactly what I wanted! A comic book-style adaptation of Kipling's classic without all those unnecessary words. I was initially troubled by some of the reviews erroneously suggesting that this item was the original text. Thankfully, the item I received was a twenty-odd page booklet with 99% of the original text removed and replaced with colorful, eye-catching drawings. If you are looking for the actual Kipling classic, you should move along. This adaptation will save you so much time. I read it in less than five minutes, and I came away with an overwhelming sense of awe that will stay in my mind forever. Some may prefer the power of Kipling's original work, but not me. I am both thankful and grateful to Amazon for offering this product and saving me so much time. Sure, the original book might be more nuanced and most certainly has a heck of a lot more words, but this comic book is all you need. Just think of the time you can save with comic adaptations of original classics like this one. Buy this and you can tell everyone you've read Kipling's book! Don't believe those reviews that say this is the complete and original Jungle Books by Kipling, it isn't. Another benefit of works like this is how much space I save on my bookshelf. I just ordered a comic adaptation of War and Peace, and I'm looking for Gone with the Wind. Literacy rocks!
0Comment|Report abuse
Also has an interesting short biography of the author at the close together with about a dozen photos of the man which was a definite plus. Very good book!
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on February 14, 2017
The Sterling Illustrated version with art by Ingpen is just lush, rich, beautiful! It will be a book to pass on from generation to generation. Be aware that this text is only the FIRST Jungle Book of the two written by Rudyard Kipling. If you wish to read the remainder of the book, you'll have to find a different text.
3 helpful votes
on May 29, 2016
I have read (and loved) Kipling since I was very young. And now, in my dotage, I decided it was long past the time to share him and his works with my grandchildren. Maybe they will also want a mongoose for a pet after reading about the magnificent battles of Rikki-Tikki-Tava, something neither the law nor my mother would abide in those distant days of my past. Or find solace in some of this poems as life speeds past as I have for more decades than I now care to admit. Kipling was not, by our lights, politically correct, but he was a man of his age, and he wrote from the heart with wit and care and I suggest that he still has much to offer in terms of life's truths, such as we can understand them, that he was and remains a preeminent 'teller of tales,' and that those tales are worthy of being shared with those we love. Oh Mowgli, man-cub, may the jungles protect thee and thine,
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on February 26, 2017
Nice typeface. I like the hard binding and the bookmark. I am reading this classic aloud as a night time book for my 5-8 year old boys. We have been reading it for a couple of months and have quite a bit to go but they find it interesting and are excited to see which creature will have an adventure next.