Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 9, 2017
I puchased this as a gift. It is gifting quality. I like that this version contains some illustrations, so is suitable for younger children
on October 13, 2017
An eye-opening book. Ever since I heard about it in high school and then again in college I wanted to read it. I finally got around to doing it and I'm glad I did. I believe it has made me more compassionate and understanding and grateful for the day and age I'm living in.
on October 16, 2017
I read this in junior high and have never forgotten it. I bought it for my wife to read, she couldn’t read it at night, gave her nightmares. I am now having my grown grandkids read it because I do not want this type of treatment to come back. The wife said it was terrible, in the wording of “The truth ain’t pretty sometimes”.
on May 3, 2017
Well written novel about a time and subject I knew little about. the terrible working conditions and unsanitary processing was an eye opener. I'm not sure how anyone survived the beginning of the industrial revolution.
on November 17, 2016
I read the censored version in the 70's, when a teacher suggested it. To read this original version was an eye opening experience. It changes the volume from one of reformation to one of rebellion. While there has yet to be a working example of pure Socialism, it is easy to see the dream of early 20th century immigrants.
on April 22, 2013
Upton Sinclair published his first novel, The Jungle, in 1906. All the scholars assert that the publication of this novel was decisive in order to promulgate a new legislation (Pure Food and Drug and Meat Inspection Acts, 1906) prohibiting the sale of adulterated foods and improve the health and work conditions of the meat packing plants in the United States.

The Jungle tells the story of Jurgis, a young immigrant who tries to survive the "Chicago's jungle" in the early twentieth century. Instead of a land of opportunity where he can live decently with his family, he finds a corrupt city in which they are forced to live in squalor in a neighborhood of Chicago, Packingtown.

The tragedies that befall the family are numerous. Several of them die, the strongest members of the family find themselves gradually degraded and finally Jurgis becomes an alcoholic and her wife a drug-addicted prostitute. The author implies that these events are the result of the low standard of living and hard working conditions of the industry in Chicago. However, Jurgis realizes a way to come through the cycle of misery in which he is trapped. One cold night, by accident, he listens to a political meeting and since then he devotes his life to working toward a better world.

All in all, in The Jungle Upton Sinclair draws, on firsthand observation of everyday lives, a stellar description of the industrial city of Chicago and its people in the early twentieth century. A vital contribution to the Contemporary Literature of the Unites States and also to the fields of Social History and Industrial Heritage studies.
on May 11, 2017
Classic book that shows the character of different men in a different time, yet still timeless in it's approach. As a family we loved reading the story entirely from the horses perspective. The girls learned things about horse care as well as horse uses from a time much different from their own. It is now a family favorite.
on October 14, 2016
Difficult to read because of sentence and paragraph structure. A very sad story about immigrant existence in Chicago near the beginning of the twentieth century.
on April 20, 2017
It is easy to like the characters in the book. They have dreams and goals, they are ready with hope to take on the world. So much like many of us as the journey of life begins. We have a great idea of what is going to happen. Then reality of how difficult life is changes or dreams. Crushing them into submission, until we don't even know them anymore. Hope is found still in the ones who push on like Burgos he still looked for meaning and found a strength in here myself he did not know he possessed.
on October 25, 2017
BLACK BEAUTY.A inspiring book.this book told me how i should treat horses.also there is a great plot some places good some bad some owners good some bad.some good companios whi are sold or seperated or killed.and alot of adventures.a great taste of Old England and has literally changed my lifr