Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on August 21, 2010
First of all, I was thinking this would be good until the trailer revealed it all. Man, I was so wrong about it and it ruined my weekend the week this pile of garbage came out as my martial arts school was paid so much to do promotions by performing in theaters to lure in customers. This will leave dissapointment to fans of the classic, the only people that would like this are kids of the current generation.

I wasn't born in the 80's, since I'm from the 90's generation. I grew up watching the classic and it's been a part of my childhood since then, my papa used to rent the movie so much for me. Unfortunately, that was it after the trilogy and it went downhill w/"The Next Karate Kid" and the Jaden Smith one is worse than the previous.

Here's why this movie isn't good

The title left confusion, leaving many people wondering as to why it's called that when they could've just called it "The Kungfu Kid". What's wrong with calling it that? The movie is known by a different title in Asia of what I just mentioned.

Casting of characters was just blah! Jaden Smith's acting wasn't good and he seems to try too hard to be likable. Personally, I didn't like how Hollywood decided to pick this kid that looks nothing more than some hoodlum of a thug wannabe, his image shows it in the movie. He talks too much with cheesy lines after another, making him rather annoying than likable. His character didn't even bother to learn Chinese, which makes it pointless to live in a country that you don't know speak the language for, let alone that he can't even use chopsticks. His mom gets annoying with the whole "pick up your jacket!" and wearing all these flashy looking clothes to try to fit in with the Chinese. Overall, Ralph Macchio beats his act.

Jackie Chan's acting wasn't good, no offense to you JC fans out there. I appreciate his previous flicks to where he's not some grumpy man (like Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino) who hates his life after he got his wife and kid killed in a car crash for simply arguing w/his wife which explains the whole wreackage of the car he has which made no sense. His character's attitude seemed like he wanted to get off the set as soon as possible. That's not the Jackie Chan we all know and love. Also, even I heard some Theater staff saying that JC was even upset with the title. Noriyuki Morita's acting as Mr.Miyagi was a whole lot better and the opposite of JC's grumpy Mr.Han.

Next off is those Chinese kids that bully Jaden's character. They are such douchebags, which makes Johnny Laurence and his Cobra Kai gang more likable and less annoying. The leader of the Chinese kid is the worst of all, in the movie they did far much worse than what the Cobra Kai gang did to Daniel. What was really immature of them (Chinese kids) was when they flopped Jaden's lunch tray, ruining his clothes and when they grabbed his backpack, they tossed it around and kicked it for a bit, such jerks! Johnny Laurence was a douche on his part, but he made up for it with some of his lines that was funny. Also, the Cobra Kai followed their teacher's order completely by not messing with Daniel until the Tournament, not unlike Cheng and his gang of immature losers.

Dre Parker is already hitting on some girl and he only 12 years old and yet to hit puberty. The movie shouldn't involve some elementary age kids that know little or nothing about acting, it could've been saved from suckage if they didn't choose first timers that made their bad acting obvious with all these lines they throw in. It would've been better if they involved teenagers, not some wannabe looking hoodlum and a group of wannabe bad boys in an elementary school setting.

Enough said about this, for it will damage the name of the classic for years to follow. I can just imagine how I'd be talking about the one and only and when people jump into the conversations, they'd be asking "Which one? The Ralph Macchio one or Jaden Smith?" There's only one Karate Kid out there and that's Daniel Larusso. Stick with the classic if you want to see a good movie, not those crappy remakes.
1212 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2011
I'll start this by saying that I have not seen the original film yet (OMG, are you serious) and so my judging of this film has no nostalgia clouding better judgment. In other words, I don't like this more because of seeing the original, nor have I walked into watching this pre-judging it thanks to being a fan of the original. As far as I was concerned, this was just another movie.

I have a few issues with this film, some of them rather severe, and I will say that while I found it somewhat entertaining and enjoyable (in parts), this was an overall failure in many ways. Like I said, I have not seen the original, and maybe it fails in the same areas and so this `remake' can blame its predecessor for negative influence, but judging this solely as an individual film I have to say that it just did not work.

The film tells the story of young Dre Parker. We are told in a gimmicky manner that his father dies when he was nine. He's twelve now. His mother gets transferred to China (from Detroit, mind you) and so the film opens with Dre and his mother traveling across the world. Dre is your typical pre-teen kid, and so the move is hard for him, but it doesn't really rear that ugly of a head until he expresses an interest in Meiying. Soon, young Cheng (an angry child if I ever saw one) begins to bully Dre to the point where Dre fears even remote contact with the boy. It turns out that Cheng is being trained in Kung-Fu by a brutal teacher and so Cheng feels that mercy is a weakness; thus the relentless beatings he exacts on Dre. Seeing the torment that Dre is undergoing, a maintenance man named Mr. Han offers to train Dre so that he can fight in a turn tournament. Obviously, he has his fair share of `wax on wax off' (in this instance it's `put on jacket, take off jacket') but soon Dre starts to learn the discipline and technique needed to beat up other children (yes, I'll get to that in a minute).

I don't know how the original ended (although I read a seeming spoiler in one review of this version that leads me to believe it ended far more earnest and realistic than this one) but I must say that I hated this ending.

I don't really know where to begin. I could start with Jaden Smith, but I don't want to sound mean. I won't say that he is a bad actor, especially since he has a lot of his father's expressions and I think Will Smith is a truly underrated actor. I also thought that Jaden was the BEST thing about `The Pursuit of Happyness', so it's obvious that he has talent. I will say this about the pre-teen Smith though; he is far too aware of his celebrity to pull off a natural performance. He was laced with a constant mugging of the screen that was off-putting and too `put on', as if he was too confident in his ability or at least his stardom to really `act'. This was stripped away to a degree as the film progressed, but he couldn't quite step away from his own reflection long enough to feel real to me. Next, the film is far too long for its own good. It could have edited out a good thirty minutes and still been entertaining, probably even more so. This is not the type of film that requires a running time of more than two hours; believe me. Like I said, that ending was terrible. You build for so long this constant presence of hatred and unreasonable intolerance in a character like Cheng only to strip it away completely in a timespan of three seconds. It makes no sense and is absolutely pointless, if only to create a faux happy ending for this `kids flick'.

Speaking of `kids flick'; this is not. I'm actually appalled that this film is only rated PG. It is horrendously violent and mean spirited throughout a lot of the film. Don't dare label me a prude, because I am far from it, but this film is targeted at young ones and contains countless sequences of pre-teen children beating each other senseless. I mean, they are beating each other in the face and attempting to break each other limbs. If the film starred Jet Li it would be rated R. The character of Cheng is particularly repulsive, but his teacher is even worse (when he instructs Cheng to break Dre's leg I was flabbergasted that this film existed).

Uck, but at least Jackie Chan finally proves that he can act (wow, best performance of his career) and Taraji P. Henson is seriously the light of my life; so there's that. Honestly, they should have scrapped this whole project and just cast Henson as a young widow traveling to China to find herself only to fall in love with a reclusive maintenance man who has a troubled past and a tendency to destroy newly remodeled vehicles.

I'd watch that before watching this again.
66 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 16, 2010
2010's remake of 1984's "Karate Kid" has been titled different in different countries. Director Harald Zwart's film was called `The Kung Fu Kid" in China, "The Best Kid" in Japan and South Korea while U.S. audiences are stuck to the original film's title "The Karate Kid". My first complaint with the film's title is that why call a film "Karate Kid" when it is clearly about a teen who learns Kung Fu and yet it is called "Karate Kid"; I thought this was the usual Hollywood garbage and it would be a slap in the face of the Chinese martial arts since the title is so misleading. Chinese Kung Fu is filled with circular movements that are derived from the movements of animals. Japan's Karate is a more linear art that is meant to finish an opponent with one blow, and to fight numerous opponents. Yet, with Jackie Chan in a the role of Pat Morita, I had hope that the film would give respect to the Chinese martial art and I was not disappointed.

This film is not related to the DC comics character with the same name. The film's association with 1984's original "Karate Kid" is the mere fact that it captures the same premise, same key plot sequences but it has different characters and a different backdrop (this time the film takes place in China). I would say that it is not a remake but more of a re-issue; and thanks to Jackie Chan, he makes the film very credible in a dramatic role. (Yes, in Asia, Chan isn't just known for his action-comedies, he is a well-respected singer and dramatic actor)

11-year old Dre (Jaden Smith) and his mom (Taraji Parker) locates to China because of the demands of her job. A stranger in a foreign land, and without friends, Dre becomes fond of a sweet Chinese girl named Mei Ying (Wen Wen Han) but this infatuation leads to him being bullied by a young practitioner of Kung Fu named Cheng (Zhenwei Wang). The situation escalates and Dre ends up being defended by Mr. Han (Jackie Chan), the maintenance man in their place of dwelling who is also a kung fu master. Han advises that Dre needs to settle things with Cheng through his sensei, Master Li (Rongguang Yu) but the two soon discovers that he is every bit as hard headed and arrogant as Cheng. Forced to barter to be allowed to leave without incident, Han agrees to the stipulation that Dre will fight Cheng and his whole gang one-on-one in a Kung Fu tournament. Dre only has little over a month to train under Mr. Han; student must learn from the teacher as the teacher also becomes the student. The two begin to form a strange bond as they meet their antagonists head on to defend their honor...

The charm of the original was the fact that Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita) was just so charismatic as the Karate master. Chan matches Morita's charm in every way possible and proves to be quite convincing as the aging Kung Fu master. Instead of the wax on, wax off, paint the fence and sand the floor type of thing, Mr. Han opts to have Dre train by taking off his jacket, hanging it, putting it on, dropping it, and then hanging it again. It does make a good transition in the script seeing as Dre is a slob and is always leaving his jacket on the floor. Martial arts is a way of life after all, and a practitioner of the art embraces its philosophy as well as its movements; it becomes a way of life. The film does manage to establish a credible relationship between the two and Mr. Han as with Mr. Miyagi in the original also had his demons to face.

I guess what the original had that this remake didn't was the fact that it was realistic. Daniel (the original character) was a weakling and didn't have the savvy to become a very capable fighter in month. Miyagi gave him the tools he needed to face his tormentors; Daniel could never become a warrior, but he had the quality moves and heart to win over his opponents. This time around, this remake takes a little cartoonish route, as Dre becomes a capable fighter in a month; displaying the skills and movements that equal his opponents who had been practicing the art for a lot longer time; Dre didn't feel like an underdog but rather a competitor with equal skill--in a month. I had a hard time buying into this, I cannot believe that a student who had no exposure to Kung Fu can pull off a final move that he observed but never really taught. Daniel was a better character than Dre. The supporting characters are also a little cartoonish. Dre's mother does have more screen time and develops a relationship with Han which was good. I also liked the fact that the script settles for a theme of friendship between Dre and Mei, rather than the teen love between Daniel and Ali. This was a good change, as the film also pays respect to Chinese culture. The relationship between Han and Dre was developed well, but then, with Jackie Chan, it is easy to have an attachment to his character. However, Smith wasn't totally convincing and he felt a little too whiny; I can forgive this since he is only 11 years old in the film.

The fights were nicely executed and I was impressed with the quality of the choreography. Cheng and the other young Chinese fighters were real convincing in pulling off those complex moves. The hits looked like they were actually making contact and the camera work was kept tight with some flashy use of slow motion and clever editing. There were some wire fu included in the fights, but they weren't that obvious; Chan and company did their work well. Oh, as with the Daniel's Crane Kick, Dre develops his own signature move; and it was very cool. The cinematography was stellar as the viewer becomes privy to the slums of the country as well as its beauty. The scene when Han and Dre traveled to the temple atop the mountaintop was breathtaking, and there is a very cool scene with a mysterious woman (a Michelle Yeoh look-alike) who entrances a cobra.

So the question remains: Is this film a worthy remake? Well, it is, as it does pay homage to the original and a lot of the key scenes was more or less a tribute. This does render the film a little too predictable so those who loved the original will find this remake very unnecessary. I am one of those people, but despite its flaws, I have to admit the film was very entertaining that it did establish the differences between the Chinese art to the Japanese art, as well as paying reverence to both martial arts systems. The film does make it clear: "It's not karate". It does have a lesson to share, while it is not as memorable as the original; it was still quite germane in today's times.

Recommended Timidly. [3 ½ Out of 5 Stars]
review image
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 15, 2010
I watched the original Karate Kid and can honestly say it's good and I will continue to watch it when it's on TV.
This remake was a total waste of my time, money and energy to sit through and pay for. This remake is not as good
as the original and could not stand alone on it's own apart from the original.

In this remake we have Jackie Chan who plays the teacher Mr Han and Kaden Smith playing Dre Parker. They are
set in beijing after Dre's mother gets transferred to a new job in China and Dre is not happy about having to move.

Of course we already know what's going to happen, bring in the bullies and Dre gets picked on and beat up and
at just the right time, Mr Han saves Dre from being beat up more.

Mr Han tries to get the bullies teacher to get the kids to leave Dre alone but the teacher is a bigger
bully than the kids are, now we know where they learned it from. So Dre has to either fight in the tournament
or the bully teacher is going to put a hurt on both Mr. Han and Dre, so Mr. Han teaches the kid how to do Kung Fu!

That's right, it's not Karate, it's Kung Fu. This could have been called The Kung Fu Kid, but I guess they wanted
to use the recognizeable name and squeeze a little more money out of this franchise.

Jaden Smith comes across like he is channeling his father in most scenes and while it's kinda cute, it also
shows this kid can't act and it's doubtful he will last long in Hollywood. If his parents weren't famous he wouldn't have gotten this part in the first place and his acting in this film proves that without a doubt.

I did find it quite weird that Dre's young love interest in the movie wanted to touch his hair and when his
mother was around a bunch of small children at one point they all wanted to touch her hair. It seemed quite weird to me to have something like that in the film. The other thing that struck me as strange was Dre's mother never
questioned her son or the teacher about what they were doing spending so much time together. She did look in on him a few times, ok maybe twice but you would think they would show that his mother wanted to make sure her son was going to be safe spending so much time alone with this guy, especially when she found out her son was his only student.

This movie could have been made into a whole different stand alone type Kung Fu movie and been good if they
had found a better and older actor to play the boy's part. Having these kids have a love interest at such a young age was a bit werid for this movie. It would have been better to watch if they had picked an older kid
who could act and didn't look like a street thug.

I also didn't like the fact that Dre didn't even try to learn Chinese while he is now living in China. He can't
use chopsticks and his female love interest helps him get his food on his plate in the cafeteria. To have kids
in Elementary school fighting each other in such a bloody violent way in the tourament was a real turn off. This
movie should have had older teenagers as the actors, not young kids who couldn't act.

Save your money and watch the original on TV next time it comes out.
55 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 11, 2010
I find it interesting when people ask was the film necessary. Is any film necessary? This movie stands on it own and the negative comments I've read here is sad and pathetic. Most young people don't know anything about the original Karate Kid and could even less about seeing it. It seems many reviews here are from old people who will be gone in twenty years so who really cares what they think.

The Karate Kid 2010 is a wonderful movie. I say don't base your reason not to see this movie on the racist, jealous and sad reviews here. $360 million should tell you a lot, not the rants of the haters found here.
66 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 10, 2011
Having grown up watching the original Karate Kid in the 80's, I was anticipating something a little deeper than this movie. The original Karate Kid was simple and effective. This new Karate Kid had fighting that was like something out of the Matrix and was totally not on par with the way kids their age would be able to fight. I watched kids leap 20 feet through the air, jump over buildings, take hits that would leave an adult keeled over in pain yet they brushed them off and carried on for 5 minute fight scenes. Simply too overdone in my opinion. Although the new Karate Kid followed much of the storyline of the original, Daniel's character, now played by "Dre Parker" was a whining child who struck me as annoying through the whole film. The ending scene was so ridiculously fake it was just plain disgusting. In the original, with one leg hurt, Daniel used the Crane Technique which he kicked his opponent with one leg in use. In the new version he does a one legged backflip and kicks his opponent in the face on his way down landing on his good leg. This whole movie just left a bad taste in my mouth and was another example of why producers should leave the classics alone. Want to buy The Karate Kid for your child? Buy the original!
55 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 11, 2010
"The Karate Kid" is very much a worthy counterpart to the 1984 film on which it's based, not only in terms of story, but also in terms of quality; the excitement, humor, warmth, and themes of friendship, maturity, and overcoming adversity have been left intact, and better still, there's no sense that any of it has been cheapened or simplified to the sake of appealing to a mass audience. The only exception, and I'm really just nitpicking here, is a glorious but contrived aerial shot of martial arts training directly on the Great Wall of China, the helicopter camera zooming around Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith as they pose dramatically. If there was ever an image that belonged in a Chinese tourism commercial, this would be it.

A more substantial criticism is that, because this is such a faithful remake, there isn't much it can do to surprise us. Anyone familiar with the 1984 film will know exactly how this new version will play out, from the main character's awkward arrival at the start to the climactic tournament at the end. There is a bit of an inconsistency; because it takes place in China, the featured martial art is kung fu, not karate, so the title is technically inaccurate. There's also the convenience of all the important characters being able to speak English, if not fluently, then just enough to get their point across. But it's all done so well that we may find ourselves suppressing the desire to look for flaws and make comparisons. What would be the point? Remake or not, this movie stands entirely on its own as a great entertainment, not just as a sports drama and a spectacle but also as a coming-of-age story, which is just as charming and insightful as it was twenty-six years ago.

Smith plays twelve-year-old Dre Parker, who's forced to move from Detroit to Beijing with his mother (Taraji P. Henson). He doesn't much care for it, although he does immediately develop a crush on a good-natured girl named Mei Ying (Han Wenwen), a violin prodigy. Unfortunately, this introduces him to the sadistic school bully, Cheng (Wang Zhenwei), who quickly and brutally takes him down in full view of the other kids. How did he become so aggressive? A visit to a local kung fu class explains everything: Cheng's teacher, Master Li (Rongguang Yu), has taught him to be merciless when fighting his enemies. Mercy, he says, is for the weak. Dre, both small-statured and a foreigner, is considered a weakling. The idea that the underdog is separated by culture as well as by status is something the original film never had the chance to explore. It's a welcome addition.

So is Jackie Chan, who takes the reins from the late Pat Morita and transforms Mr. Miyagi into Mr. Han, a reclusive janitor who agrees to train Dre for an upcoming kung fu tournament. After his disastrous starring role in "The Spy Next Door," I had my doubts that Chan would be able to pull this off. I was happily proven wrong; this is his most mature and compelling performance to date, having been given the opportunity to genuinely act and not merely be a goofy action star. We see range. We see depth. We can conceivably feel something for his character. And for once, the kung fu moves he built his reputation on are actually in service of the story. He's not a stuntman showing off - he's a wise elder trying to make a point, and just like with Pat Morita's character, it involves a menial task that must be done repeatedly, almost to the point of a compulsion.

Some may object to the puppy love between Dre and Mei Ying, paling in comparison to the original film's teenage love between Ralph Macchio and Elisabeth Shue. While I agree that there's no such thing as romance before puberty, I am aware that those tween years see the emergence of hormones, and I can certainly believe that Dre and Mei Ying would have their first kiss by the light of a rear-screen projector. There's no sense believing that they're falling in love, because they're not. If anything, they form a sweet and innocent friendship, one made stronger by the fact that both are being tested by their own life circumstances. And much like the divide between Dre and Cheng, both are threatened by cultural differences, Mei Ying's parents fearful that a musically uninspired American boy will be a bad influence on her. Like all good boys, he just wants make a fine first impression.

A stretch in the middle of the film reveals views of mist-shrouded mountains and tours of ancient temples, where kung fu students practice rigorously. This is perhaps a bit conventional, but it's also undeniably breathtaking. I'm addressing that last observation to those who can't bring themselves to see this movie for its story or its characters - maybe the visuals will win them over. Still, don't be so quick to dismiss everything else it has to offer. Yes, "The Karate Kid" is yet another Hollywood remake, but that doesn't change the fact that it tells an engaging story with interesting characters and features good performances. I greatly enjoyed this movie, and if you go into it with an open mind, I think you will too.
33 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 3, 2014
Poorly cast, an implausible setting, a bad script, worse acting, and abominable direction and editing - this film is an insult to the original "Karate Kid," which itself didn't qualify as "great cinema" by any stretch of the imagination.

Why is it always Asians? Doesn't any other ethnic group know how to fight? How about Capoeira, Le Savate, "Jailhouse Rock," or Krav Maga? But failing this, the following may provide some direction for the franchise:

Jack Black, as Kung Fu Panda, teaches the art of "Skiddoosh" - bouncing attackers away with one's belly.

Peter Gerety or some other New Jersey tough-guy type, teaches a kid the art of "nutting" (striking the opponent in the head with one's forehead) - the attack against which there is no defense.

Joe Pesci, as "Nicky Santoro" from Casino, instructs a kid in the ancient martial art of the Mafia, involving the creative use of ordinary objects like ashtrays, pens, telephone receivers, etc. as weapons.

Anthony Hopkins, reprising his role as Dr. Hannibal "Lecture" (as that other famous mafioso, Tony Soprano, pronounced it), prepares a kid for a cannibalism competition, with fava beans and a fine chianti. *slurp*

Woody Allen passes on the ancient self defense art of the Upper West Side, including varsity-level kvetching and skilled avoidance of physical confrontation.

In short, this new iteration of "Wise Old Man Teach Scrappy Kid How Fight Bully" is recommended only for those committed to seeing every film ever made.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 9, 2010
Please stop making unnecessary BAD remakes, Hollywood. It's an insult to fans of the original film(s) that this movie was even made. Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan have absolutely NONE of the chemistry or likability that Macchio and Morita had in the 1984 original (and VASTLY superior) version of "The Karate Kid" and it's sequels. It's obvious this was made just to jump start Jaden's acting career but it will ultimately prove to be a bad move on his part. Do something original Hollywood and stop trying to cash in on the past.
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 17, 2015
Well... it's fun to watch. Unfortunately, the remake of "The Karate Kid" doesn't hold a candle to its predecessor. Dre Parker, a 12-year-old boy from Detroit, moves to China for his mother's job. In befriending a girl from his class, Meiying, Dre incurs the wrath of a group of his classmates, led by the babyfaced, yet brutal, Cheng.

Okay--at this point I have to laugh a little: it's hard to take 12-years-olds fighting each other seriously. In the original "Karate Kid," the Cobra Kai are all 17 or thereabouts: seniors in high school. They have the athletic ability of grown men with the emotional maturity of children. So when in the original movie, Miyagi intervenes to rescue Daniel, he genuinely fears for Daniel's life. There's genuine danger for Miyagi as well.

In the remake, Han intervenes in a pretty silly scene. Five 12-year-olds attacking one boy is ugly, but at no point does Dre seem in mortal danger. Thus when Han steps in, the fight scene is comedic: it's the equivalent of Han putting his hand on the kids' foreheads and watching them flail away. It just feels contrived: as though the director made a checklist of elements from the original movie that had to be included in the remake, but forgot to build a real story around them.

For the most part, the entire movie feels like this--a checklist. The relationship between Dre and Meiying is an exception, however. The two of them are genuinely heartwarming together--kind of how you expect love at 12 to be, with pinky swears and the occasional shy hand-holding. Meiying has her own interests--classical violin--and it's nice to see Dre supporting _her_ in _her_ interests, rather than Elisabeth Shue squealing "You're the best!" at the tournament.

As for the fighting, it's pretty ordinary. We see plenty of flashy acrobatics, but nobody talks about the history of kung fu, nor what style of kung fu (there are hundreds, after all) Dre studies. We see a sadistic teacher, but without any background as to what makes him so. We see a wooden dummy, but get no explanation about it. In summary, there are details, but without context, they lack meaning. By all means show this to your children, but it's a movie only children will enjoy.