Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on September 29, 2015
Oh my gosh what an amazing book!!!!! When I was done reading it the only word I could come up with was ..... Stunned! ...... Incredable writer, incredable journey, behond amazing and ingenious teaching techniques!!!

When we moved to our new home in a village on the Western Coast of Alaska we found out that George lived here. My husband even worked with his wife (yes it is a small village) and did janitorial dutys for the university that George was currently working for.

I asked a friend if she had read Georges book. She said she owned it but had not read it. I was shocked, it is such an amazing book! As a side note she commented that George "was a little out there". I replied that " George had to be "a little out there" to create such an amazing teaching style to engage his students"!!!!
on April 4, 2011
Every once in awhile a book comes along that is so poignant and moving that it touches the very depth of your soul and you read it over and over again. Each time another element is revealed, another emotion surfaces, and a glimmer of light starts growing within the reader that says this is the kind of teacher that I will aspire to be. What George Guthridge accomplished in Gambell, Alaska, goes way beyond all the accolades that he has received. He unselfishly gave all of himself so that his students could achieve the impossible. He taught his students to look beyond their world and to see the possibilities that the future could hold for them. He taught them to love the challenge of learning and to push themselves beyond their academic comfort zones and reach for the success that was inside each one of them. These are the characteristics of a great teacher and for that he should be applauded.

As a fellow teacher, I have been inspired to study and use his teaching methodologies in the hope that I can also inspire my students to reach beyond their comfort zone and find a passion for gaining knowledge. I highly recommend that teachers across the United States -whether elementary, middle, or high school--take the time to read "The Kids from Nowhere." I will even go so far as to recommend that this book be placed on the required reading list for any individual pursuing a degree in education. This book will make you laugh. It will make you cry. It may even, at times, make you ponder your choice to go into the field of education, but in the end, this book will unleash the passion inside each of us to go beyond our comfort zones and become great teachers.
on September 23, 2012
Let me rephrase that. I'm not sure why the success of this group of kids would seem unlikely really in that everyone has potential to do great things. But this book uncovers a secret to getting that kind of result...it takes a lot of hard work, faith, and an extremely intelligent approach.

I enjoyed this book very much. It's well written and provides a pretty in-depth look at how a group of Eskimo kids achieved mastery at problem solving. I enjoyed the coverage relating to their culture and heritage as well. It was sometimes difficult to read about some of the prejudice that came upon the children of the teacher but in the end, they prevailed and did well.

I hope more people get a chance to read this true story and at the very least we can learn to believe in kids and their potential, and they can come to believe in that too.
on June 27, 2013
Gambell, the most isolated town in the nation. You almost have to go there to understand the book. The true story verges on the unbelievable.
The text is a strange concoction of great descriptive vignettes interspersed with incomprehensible stretches of education speak. The reader is forced to slog through pages of problem solving theory to get to the meat of the tale. Thrilling moments mixed with drudgery. His war with his evil snowmobile are priceless.
I just returned from Gambell and the place is amazing.
on September 23, 2016
I have a friend who is a 5th grade teacher in a small village in Togiak, AK. Reading this book gave me a small insight to some of the challenges she is facing as a teacher in a new environment with a culture she unfamiliar with. This book was enlightening and heartwarming.
on March 22, 2016
This is a great read; even greater that it's a true story. It is awe inspiring. How George rethinks teaching, motivates the kids, sees ability and genius in students who've been written off, and continues to motivate them throughout two years to work hard and attain their goal- it's amazing. I highly recommend this book.
on April 11, 2015
Great story and read. It is always amazing to learn what each person is capable of and this book tells the story of a group of kids and their teacher who learn that they are the equals of anybody anywhere. A little too focused on the teacher rather than the kids. Although having visited Gambell I am sure that the teacher and family had to adapt a great deal
on December 13, 2009
This very inspirational book captures village life in Alaska, the difficulties and outrageous problems of the school district, and the unquenchable human spirit of the Native children who are its subject. This is our choice for "best book we've read this year," and we are gifting it to several people for the holidays. The author makes good use of humor, interesting anecdotes, and victorious moments to offset the cold climate, difficult life styles, and his own times of depression and self-doubt. This book is hard to put down. The afterward sets forth the current situations of some of the main characters, which is a nice touch. Proceeds go to Greg Mortenson's "Three Cups of Tea" schools, which is the icing on the cake.
on July 3, 2012
This is written by a science fiction writer. The ending felt Ender-like, very exciting, exhausting, putting us right in there. The struggles with the administration and road blocks as well as the authors own faults show forth, making this more human and approachable.
on March 29, 2016
This is an exceptional true account of education on St. Lawrence Island, Alaska. The teacher and students overcame all hurdles and obstacles to gain a wonderful achievement.
This is a great book for visitors to Alaska and for teachers to read. It is highly inspiring.