Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 151 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 194 reviews
on March 1, 2017
Somewhat tedious after reading The Savages, the order of read which is essential. But got a bit tired of our main characters after The Savages. There needs to be something "Pre-Savages" that is "Pre-Character" in terms of development and change between the period of time pre- and post. Couldn't manage to finish it - which doesn't mean I won't go back to it. Sometime. Just not now.
on July 29, 2017
Don Winslow is an all-time favorite of mine, but I was a little disappointed in The Kings of Cool. The quick, clipped style didn't appeal to me although others might love it. It is definitely worth reading, but it's not one of Winslow's best.
on November 12, 2015
Good book. I am currently reading most of Winslow's books. This was clearly written after Savages, but it is still a good story and goes into the next one well. Some advice, read this and then read Savages.
on August 8, 2015
I like Don Winslow's books, and this is a good one, but sometimes it seems like his writing style is getting in the way of telling the story. There were a lot of parts where characters or situations were introduced with terms, names, and references that didn't make sense until the multiple timeline plots happened to intersect later.
Fun story, some excellent and amazing writing and perceptions, but it felt like he was trying to be trickier and "cooler" than with Savages.
on June 3, 2017
Good read! A little childish but enjoyable!
on September 3, 2012
This book is sharp as a razor, edgy and hotter than July in the desert. The term, 'less is more' should have Winslow's picture beside it. The man can do more with one sentence than most with a chapter. Speaking of chapters, this one has like a zillion. Some have only a single word or paragraph, which to me is an odd format. It almost breaks the flow of a very fast paced book. There's also the issue of the odd chapters that mimic the pages of a movie script. Forget about it. Doesn't make sense nor works for me.

What does work is everything else. The story grabs you by the throat and never lets go. The plot, which spends time in the past and present, continually unfolds to reveal new facets and accelerates to the ending. After an hour of reading this stuff, I feel like a shower and nap. As a bonus, Winslow shows a certain flair for wordplay. You'll smile, re-read sentences and stop to ponder his social commentary that's woven into the plot.

Yeah, I loved it. Maybe due to my being a hippie baby boomer. It's familiar ground. Heck, I should have a role in the story. Anyway, the mood is struck. Put on some Hendrix, chill a bottle of Boones Farm (do they still make that?) and ponder how long before I download 'Savages' Nuff said.
on February 29, 2016
I read Savages quite some time back and then watched the movie, and they were both really good. It's Just a cool book, then when I noticed this second book had been released I bought it immediately. I loved it so much that I went back and read Savages again, I hardly ever read the same book twice, (mainly because there are so many great books out there that I want to read), but I just love this series and I am in love with the O, Ben and especially Chon!
on May 4, 2017
If you read Savages you will want to read this.
This is just what Don Winslow's readers would have ordered if they had known it was on the menu. In a few days Oliver Stone's cinematic version of Savages will be released. The anticipation level is high. Ben, Chon and O come to the big screen, with a fantastic supporting cast.

So what do we want in the meantime? A prequel, one that tells us how several of our favorite contemporary literary characters came to be. Who were their parents? What were their families like? Who was at the center of the Association--the OC drug syndicate? Now we know. The Kings of Cool is as cool as the title; Don Winslow is exhibiting the chops that brought him to the pinnacle of contemporary crime writing.

This is multi-generational narrative, but not the sort done by Edna Ferber. The style is part Ellroy, part Vachss--brief (sometimes a word or two) chapters; choppy line breaks; interpolated definitions and--for key scenes--the narrative shifts to screenwriting format. The lines are wry, smart, brilliant, laugh-out-loud funny and sometimes downright poetic.

This is a one-reading book, but not just because of the suspense and the multi-layered plotting. You'll read it in one sitting because it is just so beautifully wrought. And it may just make the perfect movie.

Some are already picking The Kings of Cool as the book of the year. It certainly deserves that title as of July 2. If you liked Savages, grab a copy and luxuriate. It's not the epic that is The Power of the Dog; it's not trying to be, though it is trying to create the world of drug trafficking through the experience of a handful of people. Basically it's a character study and some of our old, favorite characters, like Frankie Machine, are back in cameo roles. This is like sitting back in your easy chair, watching your favorite characters do what they do, but with a little more violence, a little more tension, a little more mayhem and many more great one-liners than usual.

A terrific, don't miss, book.
on May 21, 2013
As a beach book in a tropical country where the same scoundrels that populate this book, abound in 2013, I liked this. Not having read other books, and not knowing the author, maybe reading the pre-quel was a good thing. However, the staccato and time/scene scattered chapters does not make this an easy ready after a few margaritas...expecially first 100 pages. A lot of characters. A lot of relationships. A lot of action.

But if you are willing to give it a chance and you can picture Ang Lee or Quientien Torintino making this a movie some day, then you know what you are getting into. I have a weekend off in my next SE Asian biz trip...and will down the coin for the original, "middle" book, to see what happens next.