Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 5,063 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,681 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 16, 2015
One of my very favorite films of 2014.

What I worried would be a feature length commercial is instead a very funny, and somewhat subversive film, overflowing with ideas, puns, perfect music, and wacky 'cameos' by everyone from Shaquile O'Neil, to a wonderfully warped and dark Batman (given terrific voice by Will Arnet).

'Lego' doesn't look quite like any film I've seen before. It has a rough, almost bizarrely low- tech look to it's Lego people -- stop motion that looks like stop motion --oddly (but very effectively) combined with mind-blowingly huge and complicated shots of the Lego universe in action. Somehow in the unlikely mix of slickness and lo-fi something wonderful is created; animation that is wildly impressive, but also clearly human, creative and DIY at the same time.

The film is basically a spoof of every Hollywood vision-quest movie you've ever seen. You know the films. A young character (almost always male) is called on to save the world/neighborhood/kingdom. He's over-matched, and under prepared, but with a kindly older mentor of great power to guide him, you know he will find a way to prevail.

Except here the "special" character at the center really ISN'T very special. He's a young working guy like a million others, who's not very bright or especially brave, and who just wants to live his happy, blank, endlessly repetitive safe life. And the mentor? None other than the voice of Morgan Freeman, expertly spoofing his own image as the ultimate voice of wisdom. He plays a wizard who is far less consistently brilliant and all knowing than he claims or wants to be. He's very, very funny, which is not the first thing one thinks of with Morgan Freeman. The same could be said of Liam Neeson, who also does a great voice job as the good cop/bad cop, who's personality changes depending on what side of his head is facing front. Will Ferrell is also excellent as the villain of the piece, being just silly enough to be funny, but just real enough to give the story some real tension.

Not everything works, and there were a few spots near the end where the energy flagged. But overall this is an exciting and creative (and wonderfully fun) piece of film-making, that manages to attack the near fascist mentality of a society obsessed with consuming, and determined not to question it's own lives (it's not for nothing that the villain's name is 'President Business')-- while still being very funny, and almost never feeling like its preaching.

And without giving anything away, in the last 20 minutes it changes the rules again, and asks a few profound questions about the nature of existence, without seeming like it had suddenly jumped the track as a film for kids as well as adults.

In the end, I walked around with the hysterical, awful (in a great way), and when you think about it kinda dark anthem "Everything is Awesome" banging around in my head for days.
on December 19, 2016
Written in so many great layers. Great for kids but adults can enjoy this film by themselves. Nostalgia, family, tongue-in-cheek marketing, cultural satire, political commentary, even cosmology, all somehow come together beautifully in a film my kids watched dozens of times and I enjoyed every single time. Not too many films can pull that off.

I can't believe Morgan Freeman hasn't done more voiceover work, because he just kills it. Chris Pratt and Will Farrell are hilarious, but that's generally a given. Alison Brie was delightful in Community and channels all that tried-and-true repressed Id she showed there into this. Elizabeth Banks brings established comic chops to her role, though I will agree with others that the agency of her otherwise very potent character was marginalized; she obviously has a backstory where she can't sort out her own identity (constantly changing names), hopes to be the Special (the "hero" of the Prophecy) but isn't, and then despite these unresolved insecurities loses herself in relationships. I don't think my five year old daughter internalizes those heady concepts; she just likes that Wyldstyle can build stuff and kicks butt, which she totally does. Liam Neeson growls, snarls and kicks chairs with totally PG "swearing" fits as Bad Cop, lampooning the roles that have made him so much money lately. Finally (for the purposes of this now-longer-than-intended review), Will Arnett and the script subvert the stereotypical Batman so hard it's difficult to believe but amazing to watch. There's a reason he's getting his own film soon.

So if you haven't seen this movie, it's worth it. Good luck getting the main song out of your head, a delicious piece of ironic sugary pop that hides a layer of tragic bitterness all its own; the songwriter was actually in a pretty dark place with his home life at the time of writing and you can disturbingly hear that undercurrent of smiling with gritted teeth. This is basically the tone of the film in music form - stuff sucks, but we have what we need to make it just a little better: friends, creativity, hope. That's what I got, anyway.
Watched this movie with my oldest daughter (college age) and two of my other daughters (under 8) and we loved it...until the end. I'm not giving anything away, and I love message and points...characters learning to be more than who we think they are is great but this was sort of a slog at the end. I think, for me, it seems worse because the first 3/4 were so great. Fun story, good characters, funny lines, good stuff for everyone (including adults). Then it's, let's sit the children down and explain things at the very end. Overall a great movie, I recommend it and the actors did a fantastic job. My girls all loved it and so did their friends who were over and the age difference is 14 years so that's a huge accomplishment from a movie.
on September 12, 2014
Holy moly.
I haven't read other reviews of this movie, but I'm guessing I can't add a lot that hasn't already been said. I was late to the party on watching this, thinking it'd merely be okay. My kids had begged for me to take them to it when it was in theaters, but without the ability for me to preview it before they saw it (they're all very young), I decided not to.
Oh a whim one Saturday we rented it from Amazon.

I laughed SO HARD so many times throughout this movie. I can't remember the last time a movie -- animated or other -- has made me laugh so much. Having lived through the 80's with an older brother that had lots of Benny-style Legos, perhaps my enjoyment was in large part due to nostalgic effects. However, the movie didn't focus on these, it simply let the nostalgia seep into the rest of the setting. Does any other toy span so wide an interest over so many decades?? This movie was just in perfect balance.
The humor came in a varied package, but I think I probably enjoyed it way more than my young children who STILL, weeks later, go around the house singing "Everything is Awesome!" all the time.

I've only watched it once, but it's going on my list for purchase and I intend to watch it again, sans kiddos, very soon.
on June 8, 2017
Great flick for the whole family! Lots of big name actors that do stellar performances, the art-style and building-centric themes are perfect for any Lego nerds in the family, and there are a lot of great jokes that both adults and kids can enjoy. Highly recommend!
on May 13, 2017
This was a sugary feast for the eyes with jokes aimed at both kids and adults. But what we really appreciated about this film is it's made-for-children critique of Capitalism. Lord Business is the obvious "bad guy" on a psychopathic pursuit of profit and perfection. His quest to achieve these ends comes at the expense of all that is unique and "cool" in the Lego realm.

Eventually we learn that the Lego world's central conflict ("business" vs. "fun") parallels the internal frustrations felt by our meta-narrator: a child whose beloved, working parent--under the influence of "business"--is rarely available to play.
The FIVE-STAR rating is from my kids. They love this movie. My silly husband wanted only to rent it, but I was like Whaa?!?

And I'm glad we purchased it. As our children and the neighborhood children have sat on our floor and watched it 4-times in the first two days. They've subsequently watched it over at other homes and come back to watch it at our house over the weeks that followed.

There is some humor for adults in this movie and it's suitable for adults to watch once, but expect your children to get your moneys worth. The familiar characters, goofy humor and music is very addicting. And I hope you have the joy of hearing a backyard of different aged children sudden break into song, singing the earworm worthy, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME.

Glad we bought it. Kid-pleasing stuff here.
on July 11, 2015
This movie is visually amazing and quite hysterical for those with a silly sense of humor. It was robbed at the Academy Awards and deserves the highest praise for proving to us that not only could Lego make a movie that doesn't stink, but for proving that they could make something truly awesome. And the film really should be seen in 3D, so if you have the setup at home - this is the set to get since it comes with a "bonus" Blu-ray 3D version of the film. The Emmet packaging is nice, but it's awkwardly big and can't be framed or displayed very well, so it's a huge box for housing just a single film.
on July 22, 2014
This is a pretty great movie. We saw it in theater and I had to pre-order it from Amazon as soon as I could. My son loves it. My husband loves it. I love it, haha! And it has a great message about being creative, and also a father - son message.

I also love Amazon's pre-order feature. If at any time, while you wait for the movie to come out, the price on amazon is lower than the price you paid, then you are reimbursed the difference in cost and guaranteed the lowest price that it was offered at! This is awesome and I was refunded $7 once the movie was shipped! Yay! Everything is Awesome!
on September 22, 2016
My 8 year old loves this movie. The 3 year old will tolerate it at times, but my older kids like it more.

I'm really not sure what the movie is about. To be honest I really do not care all that much. My kids like it, so that is all that matters.

"The LEGO movie follows Emmet, who is on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant from gluing the universe together, a journey for which he is hopelessly and hilariously underprepared."