Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 17, 2014
We saw this movie because my 8-year-old said, "Daddy, can we go see The Lego Movie?!" so away we went.

So to the question of entertainment value, as I said in the subject line, the adults and kids both seemed highly entertained. We were in a full theatre and one gentleman in particular seemed to be outrageously entertained with his incontinent guffawing. The kids were, of course, entertained enough and the movie had humor working on all levels from the youngest kids to the adults, though nothing REALLY adult, if you get my drift.

As to production quality of the movie, I was extremely impressed with the level of visual detail. I had assumed that since the Lego world is, of necessity, rather low resolution, that the movie might be clunky but they didn't shy away from high-definition situations. Seeing Legos animated into an undulating ocean, explosions, fire or billowing smoke and dust was particularly surprising. In a similar vein, if you go see this movie be sure you keep an eye on the stuff going on in the background. I noted several scenes in which what was going on behind the focal point of the camera was at least as entertaining as what was going on in front.

Lastly, on the topic of actually learning something, this movie was surprisingly deep. On the surface there was a profound lesson on the value of individuality vs working as a team. Often in children's movies the themes crow constantly about being your own person and doing your own thing but this one has a strong streak teaching the value of working together and accomplishing more than any set of individuals working separately could. Later in the film, parents get a strong admonition about letting kids be kids and practice their individual creativity rather than trying to get kids to fit into strict parental expectations. All in all lot to learn here.

In summary, Izzy said, "Best movie Ever!" but then she always says that. On my part I wouldn't say best movie ever but it had a lot to say, was technically well executed and featured lots of famous voices that parents will recognize. I'm not sure what more you could want than that.

PS: It is always my endeavor to provide helpful reviews. If you find my review helpful then great! If you do not, then please leave me a comment indicating what you want to know and I'll be sure to do better next time.
1414 comments| 1,137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 16, 2015
One of my very favorite films of 2014.

What I worried would be a feature length commercial is instead a very funny, and somewhat subversive film, overflowing with ideas, puns, perfect music, and wacky 'cameos' by everyone from Shaquile O'Neil, to a wonderfully warped and dark Batman (given terrific voice by Will Arnet).

'Lego' doesn't look quite like any film I've seen before. It has a rough, almost bizarrely low- tech look to it's Lego people -- stop motion that looks like stop motion --oddly (but very effectively) combined with mind-blowingly huge and complicated shots of the Lego universe in action. Somehow in the unlikely mix of slickness and lo-fi something wonderful is created; animation that is wildly impressive, but also clearly human, creative and DIY at the same time.

The film is basically a spoof of every Hollywood vision-quest movie you've ever seen. You know the films. A young character (almost always male) is called on to save the world/neighborhood/kingdom. He's over-matched, and under prepared, but with a kindly older mentor of great power to guide him, you know he will find a way to prevail.

Except here the "special" character at the center really ISN'T very special. He's a young working guy like a million others, who's not very bright or especially brave, and who just wants to live his happy, blank, endlessly repetitive safe life. And the mentor? None other than the voice of Morgan Freeman, expertly spoofing his own image as the ultimate voice of wisdom. He plays a wizard who is far less consistently brilliant and all knowing than he claims or wants to be. He's very, very funny, which is not the first thing one thinks of with Morgan Freeman. The same could be said of Liam Neeson, who also does a great voice job as the good cop/bad cop, who's personality changes depending on what side of his head is facing front. Will Ferrell is also excellent as the villain of the piece, being just silly enough to be funny, but just real enough to give the story some real tension.

Not everything works, and there were a few spots near the end where the energy flagged. But overall this is an exciting and creative (and wonderfully fun) piece of film-making, that manages to attack the near fascist mentality of a society obsessed with consuming, and determined not to question it's own lives (it's not for nothing that the villain's name is 'President Business')-- while still being very funny, and almost never feeling like its preaching.

And without giving anything away, in the last 20 minutes it changes the rules again, and asks a few profound questions about the nature of existence, without seeming like it had suddenly jumped the track as a film for kids as well as adults.

In the end, I walked around with the hysterical, awful (in a great way), and when you think about it kinda dark anthem "Everything is Awesome" banging around in my head for days.
on December 19, 2016
Written in so many great layers. Great for kids but adults can enjoy this film by themselves. Nostalgia, family, tongue-in-cheek marketing, cultural satire, political commentary, even cosmology, all somehow come together beautifully in a film my kids watched dozens of times and I enjoyed every single time. Not too many films can pull that off.

I can't believe Morgan Freeman hasn't done more voiceover work, because he just kills it. Chris Pratt and Will Farrell are hilarious, but that's generally a given. Alison Brie was delightful in Community and channels all that tried-and-true repressed Id she showed there into this. Elizabeth Banks brings established comic chops to her role, though I will agree with others that the agency of her otherwise very potent character was marginalized; she obviously has a backstory where she can't sort out her own identity (constantly changing names), hopes to be the Special (the "hero" of the Prophecy) but isn't, and then despite these unresolved insecurities loses herself in relationships. I don't think my five year old daughter internalizes those heady concepts; she just likes that Wyldstyle can build stuff and kicks butt, which she totally does. Liam Neeson growls, snarls and kicks chairs with totally PG "swearing" fits as Bad Cop, lampooning the roles that have made him so much money lately. Finally (for the purposes of this now-longer-than-intended review), Will Arnett and the script subvert the stereotypical Batman so hard it's difficult to believe but amazing to watch. There's a reason he's getting his own film soon.

So if you haven't seen this movie, it's worth it. Good luck getting the main song out of your head, a delicious piece of ironic sugary pop that hides a layer of tragic bitterness all its own; the songwriter was actually in a pretty dark place with his home life at the time of writing and you can disturbingly hear that undercurrent of smiling with gritted teeth. This is basically the tone of the film in music form - stuff sucks, but we have what we need to make it just a little better: friends, creativity, hope. That's what I got, anyway.
Watched this movie with my oldest daughter (college age) and two of my other daughters (under 8) and we loved it...until the end. I'm not giving anything away, and I love message and points...characters learning to be more than who we think they are is great but this was sort of a slog at the end. I think, for me, it seems worse because the first 3/4 were so great. Fun story, good characters, funny lines, good stuff for everyone (including adults). Then it's, let's sit the children down and explain things at the very end. Overall a great movie, I recommend it and the actors did a fantastic job. My girls all loved it and so did their friends who were over and the age difference is 14 years so that's a huge accomplishment from a movie.
on December 18, 2017
The dvd is slightly scratched cause it was floating around in the box. Not a big deal cause we wanted the Blu-ray which is perfect.
The case was damaged. It’s has marking on the side and the plastic on the front feels rough.
It’s disappointing since this was a gift. I don’t time to send it back.
review image
on September 29, 2016
I took a nine year old boy with me to the theater when the movie first came out and we both loved it. After I bought this DVD I watched it with my niece and nephew, ages 19 and 20, and they loved it, too. The writing is clever enough that only adults will understand some of the jokes and pop references, yet it is still entertaining to children.

Spoiler alert:
Most action movies are about good vs. evil and in the end the good guys violently vanquish their foes. Where else can you find an entertaining movie where at the end the "good guy" reaches out to make peace with the "bad guy," who accepts and reforms? The Lego Movie has great life lessons for all ages.
on January 2, 2015
I enjoyed this movie as an adult who watches kid movies because they tend to be funny, and to connect better with my nephew who really liked it and tends to have fairly narrow interests.

In some senses, I didn't like it as much as I expected to, I had a hard time feeling any dramatic tension and connection with the characters, which is weird for me.

I assume, perhaps that keeping it very child friendly meant dialing it down a notch, but I didn't feel connected to these characters in the same way that I typically do with for example, Despicable Me or Monsters Inc or Big Hero 6 etc. Despite knowing in children's movies that the end result is pretty much always positive, I can usually part ways with that knowledge and be fully absorbed in the story. Not with this movie. That tension was just never there, but probably makes it really good for nightmare prone kids.

I did however, chuckle at it, and I'm actually kind of impressed by the teamwork message. It seems so many movies put a lot of focus on being individual and unique, and while this movie certainly doesn't put that down, it does show how much better those traits are when you develop the ability to work with others too, instead of trying to outdo everyone all the time. I've got a couple coworkers I need to loan this movie too. haha ;)
on September 8, 2014
My girlfriend decided, as a gift for Valentine's Day, to take me to see the Lego Movie in theaters. It was a good movie, especially for me growing up with Legos my whole life. I saw pieces that I haven't seen in years (I thought it was cool to see the old part numbers in the movie, although many saw it as a marketing tool). In terms of the movie, many complain about the message being "shoved down our throats" about big businesses and big brother (won't go into detail as to not spoil the movie). In all honesty, you can find that in almost any movie if you look hard enough. I bought the Everything is Awesome Edition because I wanted the 3D and the DVD. In theaters I saw it in 2D, and as I watched it I could thought it was made with 3D in mind. After watching it in 3D, I can say it was a fantastic 3D movie. Lego pieces coming at you, Batman throwing batarangs in your direction (I think that is the name for them), and more is fantastic and a lot of effort was put into the graphics. The detail in relation to the lego pieces, connections, moving parts (Lego technic, motorized, etc) is so precise and accurate, and is brought out very well in the Blu-Ray and 3D versions. Now as a heads up, I lent the 3D to my family and both my brother and mother became ill because all of the spinning and speed in 3D.

The bundle, to me at least, was worth the price to have the DVD, Blu-Ray, 3D and digital copy. I have the digital copy on my computer for travel (my computer does not have a CD/DVD drive) which is of good quality. The DVD, Blu-Ray and 3D all are in one box (as is usually) and packaging is pretty easy to open without damaging anything. The mini figure is an accurate depiction.

If you like Legos (adult or child), and you want to laugh, this is the movie for you.
on March 19, 2016
Well I did love it, until my four year old grandson won't stop watching it . . . While he loves anything LEGO, I really like the themes that run throughout this film. Emmet starts off just being like everyone else, no one special until someone tells him he is. This is a journey of self discovery and learning that being different from the status quo as well as what others expect you to be, allows the individual to become someone special and potentially do great things. While it has the "evil characters," they are portrayed in a way that is not frighting or dark. Finally, the ending lends itself to an important message that parents may or may not see themselves in.

Great movie for all ages including adults! Remember, "everyone is special."
on November 6, 2014
For both kids and parents this movie has a lot of entertainment value! Kids see it as Emmett coming into his own and learning to be creative and avoiding the wrath of Lord Business with the Kragel. Kids will sing along to the infectious "Everything is Awesome" song and enjoy cameos from beloved characters from all over the universe and beyond (and a galaxy, far far away, too!)
For parents, you get a perspective on the push-pull drive of corporations. Lord Business pretends to embrace change, all the while dictating everything from how to wake up to how to end your day and the cheerful cult-like singing of the Awesome song. When The Special and the team of Master Builders fail to follow instructions and show people how being creative is both awesome and safe - Lord Business cracks down with the craziest TAKOS (the "s" is silent) Tuesday ever. It is only when the Master Builders decide to mix a bit of creative with a bit of instruction following that they become the best they can be and ultimately overthrow Lord Business's reign of perfectionist terror.
We also enjoyed the cameos of characters from long ago that our children didn't know including the blue spaceman (SPACESHIP?!). Go get this movie - everyone can love it together!