BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 30, 2014
It's a shame he destroyed his reputation with the doping, but this book is about training. Lance pushed the cycling training envelope and the technology of building a bike. I personally went through this advanced training program on 2 occasions and it works. Of all the sports I played (mostly team sports), cycling is the only one where I paid attention to my heart, kept daily records and monitored my progress. This book was the basic one I started with.
on January 11, 2017
Great book! I have been cycling for 20+ years and have learned a great deal about over training. This book will help you train smarter, not harder and you will notice an increased overall average speed as well as endurance.
on January 29, 2007
I purchased this book while re-training for my first season of snowboarding since breaking my leg several months ago. I chose to focus on a cycling program when I realized that the muscles I really needed to develop were the same ones used by devoted cyclists. Therefore I purchased this book in hopes of getting an excellent fitness routine that would get me back on my board ASAP and I haven't been disappointed yet.

This program is perfect for beginners, or anyone who is just trying to get an idea of how to start a good program that can be maintained and adjusted to your fitness level. The book is full of anecdotes on Lance and Chris, much of which are unnecessary, but they make for easy reading. The book reads like a motivational biography with important fitness and cycling details spaced throughout. It's easy to read, but I would stress that this is certainly geared more towards a beginning cyclist who is just looking for an easy-to-follow program. In the process, you learn a lot about Lance, and you may even get to the point where you can identify with him and feel motivated by his experiences.

I highly recommend this book for any beginning cyclist or individual interested in both anaerobic and aerobic endurance training.
on September 6, 2008
Great book. I can see improvement after few weeks following the 7 week training system. My riding average speed improved from 16mph to 19mph on the same route. I am expecting further improvement in the coming weeks. Lowering my weight to the ideal Body Mass Index also help. Listening to my body and taking my rest heart rate in the morning helps me to determine how much should I push myself later on training or just take a rest for the day. Also got to give the credit to the recovery, strength training and eating tips. All the chapters on skills improvement helps in improving my riding and handling skills.
on August 1, 2001
This just might be the best book ever written on cycling. The problem is, Armstrong and Carmichael have exposed one of cycling's darkest, dirtiest little secrets: we all overtrain.
In simple, clear terms, thankfully absent the mind-numbing details of other cycling books, Armstrong and Carmichael destroy the myth that training harder means going faster. Anyone who thinks that huffing and puffing until your thighs throb and burn is the way to grow stronger, is going to be outraged by this book. "How can you become stronger when it does not feel like you are working out? How can anyone reach ultimate fitness unless they pedal until it hurts?", they will wonder.
In a book that covers every aspect of cycling important to a rider, Armstrong and Carmichael lay out is a program for riding slower and riding less, but gaining strength and fitness you cannot reach the old fashion way of continually pushing beyond your aerobic limit. What Lance has proven beyond all doubt by his fitness level is that the key to expanding your aerobic limit is to stay within it. Forget the burn: if you burn you are lactating and if you do so every time you ride then you are loosing fitness, not gaining it.
It is a wonder that they decided to publish this book before Armstrong retires. We could have watched him perform for years and never guessed his secret. But his now open secret is safe, because it contradicts decades of training practice, so it is doubtful his opponents will use and capitalize on it. You may not be a world-class rider, but this is certainly a world-class book that will benefit any rider who applies its lessons.
22 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2015
Generic info for beginners who want to get more serious.
on January 8, 2014
I will recommend this book to the people who want to enjoy a new level of training course in a cycling life....
on July 16, 2007
This is a great book for those wanting to improve their cycling, whether a beginner or a novice. A lot of great ideas and information on workouts and cycling in general.
on May 15, 2007
I found this book to be an excellent source of information on biking. I am a recreational cyclist, but found the information in not just centered on professional cycling. I am reading it for the second time.
on August 15, 2010
This is an excellent book for the seasoned bicyclist or someone just coming to the sport. The book goes over in clear (and often funny) anecdotes the ways you can improve your cycling experience. It also has a great list of references!