Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,807 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,838 reviews
on May 11, 2008
Anyone who reads this probably knows Randy Pausch's plight. He is a professor, father of young children and has generally spent a happy and physically fit life. He now lives with his mortality constantly at his side.

At a time when many would be bemoaning their fate, he preaches the joys of life and finding meaning in every moment. He doesn't feel remorse, regret or give us the feeling he considers himself a victim in any way. Instead he talks of the adventure of life itself, taken in the moment and the ways that we can make each of those moments meaningful and productive for ourselves and others.

He argues against self-limiting thoughts and inspires those who hear or read his words to move foreward through every challenge unafraid and with a sense that whatever the challenge, it amounts to little more than opening and closing a door.

This is a story of life's passages, from moment to moment, and finding the courage within to meet each challenge without fear. It is a must for anyone interested in pursuing their own personal evolution.
on October 19, 2015
I actually had this book as an assignment for one of my college classes. I was surprised to find out it was an excellent read. Randy Pausch is an excellent storyteller and makes it easy for any audience to follow along. This book has a lot of great life advice and helps you to keep your chin up no matter what situations you're going through. The chapters are quick enough to go through one in about 5 minutes so you can easily add a chapter or two to your daily routine.
on July 4, 2015
I really had a great time with this book. I imagined what would I do if I was in Randy's shoes. As I read the book. I took his insight and applied to my life, the more I read. The more I practice. The result is amazingly awesome. A lot of people tell me why I read these books. They don't help anyway. I'd like to say these books are a way to understand the importance of different things. Then we find our own map to achieve important meaning in our life. I first watched Randy's last lecture video 7 years ago. I was touched by it a lot. But that was that. Until recently a friends loving one was in similar situation as Randy. I was lucky to find the book on bookshelf that had been there forever. In order to feel the compassion to my friend and really wants to be there for her. Surprisingly I learned a lot. Definitely a great treasure for anyone who wants to pack their life with fun and great joy of great memories.
on January 18, 2017
This is a book that I will hold dear for the rest of my life. My grandparents had initially gotten me a copy back in high school. I read it not long after receiving it, but have since lost it due to allowing someone to borrow my copy. So, recently I decided that I wanted to have my own personal copy again, which is why I made this purchase. I have not watched the full original lecture on Youtube, but I hope to one day. This book does a really good job of giving an understanding to what it means to living a meaningful life, so I can only imagine what the original lecture was like.
on April 11, 2014
CITATION: Pausch, R. (with Jeffrey Zaslow) (2008). The last lecture. New York: Hyperion.

Reviewer: Dr W. P. Palmer.

This is the story of a sincere man with scientific training writing autobiographically to draw out the lessons from his own life and provide these lessons to a general audience for their use, but more particularly to his own family as something by which to remember him. It is easily readable and plausible, but the outcomes of what appear to be chance events in Randy Pausch’s life are presented in terms of being inviolable scientific laws. For example, consider the story in Chapter 50 entitled ‘The $100,000 salt and pepper shaker’. It is a nice little story of kindness by Disney World staff to Randy and his sister when they were young, which Randy claims he and his family were able to repay ten thousand-fold when he was an adult. He draws out the moral from this story is that ‘on every level, institutions can and should have a heart’. Probably no one will disagree with this statement, but Pausch leaves businesses with no practical advice as to precisely how this may be done.

Randy Pausch’s account of his life shows him to have been both talented and fortunate up to his untimely demise, though he eventually accepted this with more grace and dignity than many of us could manage. Different individuals will accept some of his moralizing and reject the rest. The idea of supporting ‘a last lecture’ by Carnegie Mellon University seems to be a good one and would be worthy of emulation by other universities. From the length of the book, it contained material for at least six last lectures. Pausch claims to have been a ‘science nerd’ and to have been scientific in the organization of his life. This may not be possible or even desirable, but from his description, Pausch’s life was not as scientific as he considered it to be. The book is very definitely worth reading!

BILL PALMER
on June 10, 2014
Touching, inspirational, courageous. The Last Lecture is the stirring roar of the injured lion, computer science professor Randy Pausch. Randy Pausch, loving husband of Jai and father of 3 children under the age of eight, died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 47.

The Last Lecture spans the decades from his early childhood to his final months. The vignettes are unforgettable and breathe with vitality. His true stories make you smile, or shed a tear, or nod your head in agreement, or say, “I gotta give this book to my kids.”

Each story is like an Aesop Fable or Zen Parable. Personal stories of Disneyland, Star Trek and Captain Kirk, floating in Zero Gravity, running into “brick walls”, finding “the one”, flying in a hot air balloon, achieving his dreams… all have “head fakes” (as Pausch likes to call them). His stories teach crucial life lessons in an amiable and stimulating way.

Pausch’s Last Lecture is a legacy for his young children and wife, and we get to share in his generosity. We, too, are the beneficiaries of his well-lived life, his wit, and his wisdom (which includes a brilliant road map to happiness and fulfillment).

One of the best books I’ve read in a very long time. Highly recommended.
on June 23, 2017
Very touching. Reminds us all to live like we're dying, because we all are...we just don't know when. This is also a great reminder of the importance of being present everyday, as we don't know when we will take our last breath.
on November 28, 2014
When I was a child I had the usual childhood heros. Watching Randy's talk on YouTube and subsequently reading the book gave me a new adult hero. The video is more impactful than the book and I suggest you watch it first the read the book for a deep dive on thoughts from the talk. There is some great and potentially life changing advice from someone who had a very limited time to make the best with what was left of his.

If you have not watched Randy deliver the Last Lecture make time you will find yourself inspired. It takes a little over an hour and it is well worth it. You can find it on the Internet here.

Randy also did a talk on Time Management at UVA that is outstanding. He and I are in violent agreement on multiple monitors.
Some other awesome tips on time management which is a skillset I am always striving to improve in.

More http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/
on March 23, 2017
Like hundred's of thousands of other's I enjoyed this "memoir". I marveled at Randy's thought process as he approached his impending death. I enjoyed Jeffrey's writing style. And, I was saddened to learn of Jeffrey's death as well as Randy's. I would love to know how Randy's family came through the process after his departure.
on November 6, 2015
This heartfelt book literally made my soul ache for all those who are disregarded or hurting in life. The main reason is that the overall lesson from this book is that everyone should dream, be social, & give back to society in time. I recommend this book to anyone who needs a motivational boost to live the life they have always wanted!