Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 22, 2017
Review first posted on jenasbookreviews.blogspot.com

It was a strange day at the zoo when Lindy, Tom, and Ben met Professor Savant. They thought he was strange when he told them about Whangdoodles but figured he was harmless and they'd never see him again. Until Halloween when Lindy said she would knock at the spookiest house on the block and who should it belong to but Professor Savant. The children had been noodling over what he said and he invites them to come learn with him how to get to Whangdoodleland to try and meet the very Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles. They will need to use every bit of imagination they possess and learn how to harness it properly to make the trip and it will take several trips to try and get to his palace especially since the Prime Minister, Oily Prock, does not want them to disturb the Whangdoodle and will do everything in his power to stop them making it to the castle.

A sweet tale of never giving up and remembering how powerful your imagination can be. I've seen several reviews compare it to Oz and Narnia and it's very easy to see why but at the same time, it's a much gentler story than those so even children who are sensitive would likely enjoy it. Dame Edwards does not disappoint as this is just the kind of story you could see her Mary Poppins telling to children in her keeping.

Note, I see that some people have expressed concern about the children entering into secret packs with a stranger. First, the Professor is known the parents although the exact nature of the relationship with the children is not but he does make it a point to contact their parents and tell them he is giving them lessons. As a parent, I think this can be used as a teaching moment about good secrets vs. bad secrets and to have a frank discussion with your child about how this is lovely in literature but not something you would want them to be keeping from you in real life. If you are concerned about that content, maybe read it yourself and decide if it's the right thing for your family or not. Not every book is right for everyone and you know your situation best.
on August 3, 2017
I love this book!! When I found my original copy to be ripped up and tattered, I immediately bought another copy (with the 30th anniversary cover) and kept both!

This story begins on Sunday, October 29, and the fall season definitely takes center stage with crisp air, cool nights, and Halloween preparations. (I was going to read this closer to fall, but I couldn't wait that long for a reread!) On an afternoon trip to the zoo Ben, Tom, and Lindy meet Professor Savant and their lives are changed forever. They begin an unconventional friendship with him as he teaches them to notice the whole world around them and to hone their imaginations. The quartet then embark on a fantastic trip to meet a legendary creature called the Whangdoodle, who has the ability to change color and to grow his own bedroom slippers.

I loved how the children learned lessons along the way, even as they meet wonderful creatures that they had never known of before. One of my favorite parts, of course, is the magical soda fountain on the Jolly Boat. I love how I've read this book so many times that it plays out like a movie in my head.

I could go on and on about this book. I think it would be a fun read-aloud, a great book to discuss.
on June 19, 2014
I remember my fourth grade teacher reading this book to me when I was little. I purchased this book as a fond memory I had. When I was little I remember this book as very colorful, elaborate and really imaginative.

This book is a great book for teachers AND parents to read to their children. It really helps children go deep in their imagination. It is a book that I use to want to be turned into a movie- now I think it is perfect as a book so that each child can imagine their own world, in their own way.

I think every child should be read this book.
on March 22, 2014
A wonderful book for reading aloud to a 7-year old, and the best part is that there are no illustrations. Everyone gets to envision their own version of the vividly described and imaginative creatures that inhabit the book. The descriptions are so thorough that I was inspired to use different voices for a few of the characters, such as the Prock and the Splintercat. Of course, this meant I had to remember the voices between bedtime readings, which extended over a few weeks, but my son was happy to correct me until I got the right voice back. If, like me, you'd never read or even heard of this book as a child, read ahead a little bit for the Whangdoodle's voice; I made it up too early, and it was rather different than Edwards described, but somehow I thought a Texas accent was perfect. One of my son's favorite parts was the songs sung by the Oinck. Not only did he laugh so hard that he practically rolled out of bed, but he would resing the songs later just for fun. I made up the tunes on the spot, so when neither of us could remember the tunes we just made up new ones. You should take this book as lightheartedly as it was written and not try to read anything more into it. Have fun with it and you will enjoy it the most.
on June 15, 2017
We're only halfway through and already love this story! My 5yo never wants me to put it down. Great read aloud!
on October 18, 2017
Gave the book to a friend and she really enjoyed it.
on May 25, 2017
I give to grandchildren when they reach third grade.
on March 26, 2017
Great thanks
on June 26, 2017
Was great
on September 21, 2016
Awesome book from my childhood that I wanted again. It came in an average amount of time. My only disappointment here was that the dust jacket was missing. I bought it used, so I knew it wouldn't be in pristine condition, but it would have been nice for the seller to mention that there was no dust jacket included with the product.