Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on July 23, 2012
I hesitated to give this book a high rating because it wasn't what I was hoping for: an account of the way intrepid humans saved a bunch of rhinoceroses, filled with charming anecdotes about rhino behavior. I don't know what I was thinking when I expected that, because I know the situation for all the rhino species is unspeakably dire. Co-author Graham Spence says he thought of calling the book "Blood Horn" and that might have been a more direct approach to indicate that this book is, at least in part, an outraged call to action. The Last Rhinos as a title feels contemplative and wistful, as if there is nothing left to be done, and unfortunately, that is the attitude that too many people are already taking. There are only three rhinos in this entire book. Lawrence Anthony never even gets to meet a single member of the subspecies he's trying to save before they're utterly gone. Instead of the happy stories I somehow expected, this book is a fact-and-experience-based indictment of the fatal disregard humans have for the other species on this planet.

A single anecdote about the rhino who lives in Thula Thula, Anthony's reserve in South Africa, serves to belie the idea that rhinos are not intelligent or adaptable, and I will treasure that. Perhaps to try and make up for the general lack of rhino experiences, Anthony intersperses what becomes a bizarre and scary narrative of human politics with incidents involving elephants, bushbabies, buffalo, and other wonderful animals. All the stories point to his deep belief that animals are as worthy as humans to occupy their space and live undisturbed. At a couple of points, he comments that any person who spends enough time with animals will witness evidence of their intelligence and sociability. There are also many examples that make the reader appreciate the difficulty of the life of conservationists in the wild and the talent and bravery of people who work with endangered animals.

The beginning and much of the rest of the book kept me on the edge of my seat with exciting, suspenseful and true occurrences, definitely material for the cinema. Please, someone, make a movie of this book (perhaps with a few more darling rhinos in the film version) and show it to people who consume rhino horn.

Because Anthony does not accomplish any of his goals for the rhinos. Absolutely everything goes badly wrong, often causing physical reactions in this reader. To top it all off, before the book was published, Lawrence Anthony passed away, and the animals lost their incredible champion. We're still here, and we need to step in for them because, incredibly, these half-ton, armored creatures with giant swords on their heads can't defend themselves from human greed. There's still a chance to turn this sad story around for the remaining rhinos.

The Northern White Rhino is the largest animal to go extinct since the woolly mammoth.
on February 4, 2013
I read Anthony's "Elephant Whisperer" and couldn't get enough of his stories, so to speak, and The Last Rhinos" did not disappoint.
Anybody with a love of Africa, animals and special people should read these books. It also focuses the mind on the senseless specie destruction - eg rhinos and great apes. What Anthony has achieved is nothing less than magnificent and it should alert caring people to do more to protect our heritage. Anthony's death was a huge loss to Africa and especially the efforts of those wanting to help others help themselves. If these books don't move you - then stick to cowboy books.
on January 5, 2013
Lawrence Anthony was truly dedicated to conservation. His tireless efforts to save wild animals in the bush took him to some very scary places and his interaction with potentially dangerous people underscored his determination. His passion was unrelenting.

In "The Last Rhino's" he travels extensively to keep the small remaining group of rhino's from permanent extinction , which was a daunting task given the popularity of poaching.

This was very educational and really underscores both the need to stop poaching altogether and eradicate the myths surrounding medicinal value of ground ivory.

Unless we ban together to carry on his vision, our grandchildren will never be able to see wild animals other than in the zoo's. We are destroying these magnificent animals at alarming rates all for the sake of greed. Lawrence knew this and made his life's mission to do something about it.

This book is more than just an interesting read. It raises the bar and sets an example for us all how "we" collectively can make a difference.
on May 21, 2013
A wonderfully written book that tells some of the adventures of a remarkable man and his quest to protect the beautiful animals of Africa. He is able to show the reader just what dedication & lengths it takes to keep a species, not just alive but thriving against ignorance & greed. Thoroughly enjoyable although made me cry several times.
on February 9, 2013
A wonderful true life story about an amazing man and his efforts to save our wild life. R.I.P.
It is amazingly unpretentious in the writing but somehow manages to pull the reader into each and every scenario.
Even I who have lived in South Africa almost all my life had my eyes opened to what goes on behind in the political scenes of Africa..
I think that the translation from Afrikaans (which I speak) was not as 'perfect' as The Elephant Whisperer,having said that, this book and it's disastrous tale of our Rhinos being killed and the shambles that is African governing is a must read for everyone.
on June 10, 2012
Having read The Elephant Whisperer, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I was very excited and keen to read The Last Rhinos.
The author's journey to save the northern white rhino is written in such a way that you feel you are present during the whole experience, and the atmosphere of being able to comunicate with animals, leaves you with feelings of being driven to save our wild life as there is untold information and abilities we are losing in our ignorance.
The only part of this book I did not enjoy was knowing that Lawrence Anthony had died and that my short journey with him had come to an end.
on October 21, 2012
I am inspired to read Lawrence Anthony's other books and to get involved in animal conservation. People should be more aware of what's happening in Africa.
on October 23, 2013
Was a wonderful read. Hard to put down, reading time mostly while commuting. Hopefully there are more people like him, with animals best interst at heart. He truly sacrificed for them. Also Loved another of his books,"The Elephant Whisperer".
on June 7, 2016
Excellent book. Learned more about the suffering and wars in Uganda, Southern Sudan and DRC. Though there was more about that than the rhinos it was insightful to get the broader picture of what wildlife conservation entails. Also learned more about the scope of the devasting poaching problems.
on March 31, 2016
I LOVE Anthony Lawrence's books -- I'm so very sorry he's no longer on this Earth walk with us and the animals. This book doesn't have as much about the rhinos as his books about the elephants do, but the story about meeting with the main leaders of Africa's most brutal civil wars is riveting. The world has lost a great humanitarian and lover of animals.