Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

The Last of Us - PlayStation 3
Platform: PlayStation 3|Edition: Standard|Change

This is one of the best games I've ever played on PS3. I've been playing video games for 30+ years now and so I have a lengthy memory of hits and or misses in the world of PC and Console gaming. This was a blast to go through. Every night for a week my wife would sit next to me and follow the story as I played through the game. It was a tremendous story (one of the best I've see) and the gameplay was fantastic. The price was great (I think I got it for under ten bones because of some mega discount or something) and it was shipped via Amazon Prime so on a Tuesday I made the order and it was here well before the weekend gaming began. I recently heard that a sequel may be in the making so I'll look to that in the future to see where the story continues. The only thing I would have liked to have seen added was a more open sandbox world but at the same time that may have hurt the game because there would likely have been huge gaps or pauses in the storyline which would have adversely impacted that dramatic experience...and there is definitely a dramatic experience to be had here but only if you have a soul. I recommend this game highly.

Oh...one more note. There is a multiplayer component to the game but it is only so-so but I think that is more because not as many people play it. Perhaps if all the matches were full the experience would be better. Play this game for the story and single player module.
on March 26, 2017
This game has spoiled me! I am a fan of story, but I never thought I could get so immersed by one told through a video game. The development of both Joel and Ellie was captivating as they traversed the horrorscapes of a crumbling society.

The gameplay was fantastic and felt raw and realistic as you pummel people with a pipe or blast someone with a sawed off shotgun. The violence has such realism that it was actually disturbing. After many heated battles I had to pause and collect myself to continue.

The game was long too. It kept me entertained for a few weeks as I could only play a few hours at a time and I also took my time to explore every detail, read every note, etc.

Give it a try. It's super cheap now, so why not?
on June 18, 2013
No intention to do an in-depth review. I just want to say that I finished The Last Of Us last night, took me 21 hours, and I thought it was every bit as good as 'they' say. I've never been a huge Naughty Dog fan, frankly I thought the Uncharted games were mildly enjoyable and the gross fanboy hyperbole about them made me roll my eyes pretty hard. But from the first time I saw TLOU over a year ago, it had my attention. I never really pored over the previews, so it was all very fresh to me. Somehow it never really occurred to me that this was going to be survival horror. In recent years I've thought of Dead Space as the last bastion of something even remotely approaching classic survival horror (though it gives you way too much ammo and health items to truly qualify) but now I must hand the championship belt to TLOU. Resident Evil was George Romero style survival horror. Silent Hill was Stephen King/David Lynch style. Dead Space was Ridley Scott/John Carpenter style. And now The Last of Us is Cormac McCarthy/Michael Crichton style survivor horror. It never allows you to amass enough resources to think you can handle absolutely anything that comes your way, yet it's never overly frustrating. It maintains the perfect level of tension. The crafting system forces you to choose between making more first aid kits or molotov cocktails (which are pretty damn handy.) The stealth game play, crouching and sneaking and taking down foes unawares is every bit as fun and satisfying as I thought it would be when I saw the E3 demo last year. The story and characters shine. Troy Baker has surpassed Nolan North in the Is There Any Game This Guy Is *Not* In? category, but he does a terrific job as Joel. One of the few things that I didn't like in the early trailers was that the voice actress who plays Ellie just sounds too B-level, too cartoony (sure enough when I looked her up on IMDB I quickly confirmed she does a lot of cartoon kids shows) but in the finished product she does an excellent job. There are a good number of characters in this game, and I can't think of a weak link in the bunch. The hordes of NPC enemies all seem to be voiced by the same three or four actors, and that can be a tad distracting after a while. By the end of the game I'm pretty sure I'd murdered Fred Tatasciore at least 50 times.

The only criticism I can think of is that the load and save functions are kinda broken. When you turn on the PS3 and boot up the game to start a play session, you might want to have something to read or otherwise keep you occupied, because it takes forever. I'm not talking about the first time you play i.e. one-time system file install, I'm talking about any time. And if you dare to so much as open the save/load menu, you have to sit and wait while it spends an eternity auto-saving, just in case. That's my one and only complaint. At first I thought maybe it was just me, even though I have a PS3 Slim 500GB that's less than two months old and have had no loading issues with any other games... but I've since confirmed with friends that it's the same for them.

Personally I'm not interested in a sequel to this game, I think it's the perfect example of a game that should be allowed to simply stand by itself. But I'll keep a closer and less jaundiced eye on Naughty Dog from now on.

UPDATE: Jan. 26, 2015 - I played through TLOU a few times when it came out, and then about six months ago I played it again when TLOU Remastered was released for PS4. A few days ago I felt like playing it again, and I got all obsessive and started watching Neil Druckmann interviews and reading various people's in-depth analyses. Two things I want to say- I totally agree that the A.I. in the game is clearly inferior to what was shown in the early demos, but I didn't notice that until it was pointed out. I've seen some videos of the A.I. performing some pretty bizarre broken behaviors, but I never saw any of them in any of my play throughs. It seems equally clear to me that the A.I. flaws are generally only apparent if you go out of your way to cause them, as opposed to simply playing the game in the spirit in which it was intended. The second thing I want to say is that I changed my mind about a sequel. I still think another game starring Joel and Ellie would be pointless, but I can totally see a new game with an older Ellie in the dominant role, with a new character (or characters) in tow. Based on what I've heard him say on the matter, it sounds like Druckmann is skeptical that there would be any need for a sequel, and part of me is proud that he agrees with my original 2013 assessment! But the 2015 me hopes he finds some good fertile sequel soil.
on June 26, 2013
I am an avid gamer. It's fairly rare that a game captivates me to the point that I can't put it down. I have a short gaming attention span and I'm typically playing through multiple games at once. It takes an excellent gaming experience to keep me hooked until the end. Few games have accomplished this (Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Gears of War series, and Red Dead Redemption to name a few). The Last of Us is absolutely added to this list.

The story alone is enough to keep your attention and wondering what will happen next. The voice acting is superb and well written. The graphics are absolutely beautiful. The controls are very well mapped. The sounds are perfectly done to establish atmosphere. I kept waiting to find something wrong with this game, but I really found nothing but great fun.

This game embodies the idea of survial horror. Limited supplies and ammo and lots of enemies. The game makes you think about how to approach every situation and gives you many options with which to do so. You can try your luck with a head on approach, guns blazing (which I do not recommend if you want to last long). You can try to sneak up on foes for stealth kills. You can simply attempt to avoid all enemies by staying low and sneaking around them. I found myself on the edge of my seat, heart racing, trying ever-so-carefully to tip-toe by a group of enemies that were blind, but had excellent sense of hearing. One false step and I'm toast. I loved it.

I played the game on normal difficulty and it was very balanced. Not crazy impossible and certainly not overly easy. Also, the game allows for saving anywhere at anytime, which is a definite plus in my book.

The game features character progression or "leveling up" by finding "vitamins" throughout the world. It also features weapon upgrades and customization, which emphasizes exploration due to the fact that "tools" are needed and must be found throughout the game. All of these are done very well.

Melee is smooth. When you're bashing a foe's head in with a steel pipe, it just feels very real. Choking a person out takes a few seconds as it would in real life - and you have that feeling of vulnerability while you're waiting for his or her last gasp of breath - will you be seen or heard by other enemies in the vacinity? It's just so well done.

I am very hard pressed to find anything wrong with this game. If I HAD to provide any sort of criticism, it MIGHT be that the shooting can be a little sloppy. You may find that when confronted with a few charging infected enemies, squeezing a few rounds off with any sort of accuracy would prove pretty difficult. Then again, I think that just adds to the realism of the game.

Spending $60.00 on this game should be done without hesitation. If you're a hardcore gamer or just a casual one, this title belongs in your game library. After producing the Uncharted series and now The Last of Us, Naughty Dog is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

- Everything

- Nothing

Overall: 5/5. Buy it.
on January 6, 2015
I got this yesterday, but it had been my intention of preordering it at release. If you have played Uncharted, you will not be disappointed with this offering from Naughty Dog. There was no user manual included, so I had to go online to get that to figure out the controls. Played though the prologue, then got to John and got kinda stuck because of a QTE they put in there, which I dislike ( and the reason for 4 instead of 5 Stars ). I am an older player and find those things difficult, be it chasing somebody down, or a series of button pushes. For older players, I would recommend playing on "Easy" on the first playthrough.

As usual with Naughty Dog, the Graphics are fantastic. There is a good story and the scripting is good. It is predominately a linear game, in that there is little to no free roaming, at least to point that I am at, but was the same with Uncharted. It is a great game and really looks good.
on August 10, 2016
What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Nothing! This game is it and more. It is incredibly well made, and the story-line is literally one of the best I've ever played. It feels like you're actually *in* the world they've created. Ellie is an amazing character, and acts just like you would expect a teenage girl to act in that position. Leave her for a bit, and she paces around like she's bored. Sometimes she'll hum to herself. And Joel - oh my Lord, JOEL - his characterization was PHENOMENAL. To watch him go from this rough man who had thought the world had given up on him, and he in turn had given up on the world ... who didn't like and didn't want anything to do with Ellie ... who on several occasions informed her he didn't care for her and she was just a "mission" for him ... To watch him go from THAT to fighting so hard at the end and calling her "baby girl' like he once did his own daughter was just amazing.

I freaking love this game and will recommend it to ANYONE.
on January 6, 2015
Like the majority of people who have reviewed this, I was absolutely blown away by this game from the moment I started it up. The story was immediately engaging and there was no doubt that this was going to be a dark tale (of course a zombie apocalypse isn't going to be a sunny story). There are so many reviews I'm just going to point out what I really liked in case there are game developers out there who actually read these reviews and listen.

I loved:

-the graphics. Beautiful, gross, occasionally stunning. Rooms and homes were decorated in various ways which went a long way in making the game more realistic, and some of the city scenes were incredible. And the giraffes made the long journey worth the agony.

-the voices. If there is a better man's voice out there than Joel's, I have yet to find it. Ellie, Tess, Tommy and Sarah were also superbly done. I love the fact that I didn't keep hearing the same voices over and over for multiple people (even Skyrim blew it on that).

-the dialog. It was realistic and emotional.

-the criminals. Bad to the bone from years of fighting to survive, except these people have lost their humanity in the process. They are tough, deadly and without an ounce of pity.

-the music and sound effects. Beautifully done.

-the storyline! There were hard choices, iffy decisions, times when they were helpless to intervene on behalf of others because it would have just thrown their lives away, and the all consuming need to see this thing through. One of the best storylines of any game I've ever played.

-Ellie. One of the best portrayals of a teenager ever. Scared sh!*less most of the time but unwilling to show it. She was determined to find a way to get Joel to care for her as much as she had come to care for him. He was who she trusted.

-Joel. An honorable but flawed man who lost his way after Sarah but found his way back through his ordeal with Ellie. An amazing job of making his character believable, and seeing him struggle with his increasing affection for Ellie was completely understandable, believable and ultimately fulfilling. I also loved that he was an older man. He had nothing to prove and was just doing what needed to be done. I loved him. No really. Loved him.

I have always gravitated towards games like this. Adventures, quests, vanquishing evil and rooting for the underdog. Perhaps because I'm such a prolific reader, who knows. But stories like this are enjoyable on an entirely different level than non story games are (although I enjoy those too). Games with storylines that make you come to care for the characters are few and far between- Red Dead, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas are some that come to mind at the moment, and I truly appreciate all of the people who work to make them happen. So thank you to all of the people who worked hard to bring this wonderful work of art to life.
on January 13, 2015
I thought I already did a review of this game. I will make this short. Tomb Raider and this game are the two best games on ps3 or now ps4. I wouldn't say this game is for youngsters, but maybe older teens. The only other series of games that comes in second place are the Uncharted games. If you have a ps3 or ps4 and you don't have this, get it!! Beyond Two Souls is also an interesting game that breaks new ground. I'm not going to go into the game play too much, but if like the zombie genre, managing an inventory of scrounged items, crafting weapons, surviving during an apocalypse, being chased by other survivors, and experiencing a diverse landscape, this is the game. Makes Left for Dead seem like checkers.

UPDATE: 2016-02-04
My daughter got me into playing ps1 with Tomb Raider in 1998. To think that games have come this far in just a little over 16 years is scary. What will be the next great game in 15 years? I really don't know where to begin about how wonderful this experience is and still is. On ps3 it isn't even in 1080p and who cares. I wrote the preface to this update without barely finishing the first couple of chapters, because I could instantly see I was headed down the road of an incredible journey. Whoever cares about video game characters? You will feel for these people in the first scenes and it won't let up as you meet other characters that form a bond on screen and off.

I am not sure but I may have surpassed the playing time experience of Half Life 1 or 2 with the Last of Us. I started out playing on easy, then +, and so on, and am now mired humbly in Grounded Level. I felt a real sense of accomplishment after Survivor. Many times just being persistent will get you by here. By the time I got to Survivor though, I had to learn some of the finer points of the game, that even make the journey way easier. When you finish Survivor Mode, you are pretty well accomplished at Last of Us. Right now I am stuck in Bill's town and they have made it really difficult. I have come close a few times at progressing. When you first encounter this segment of the game it can be tough, but after Grounded Mode, the levels are cakewalks. I have even since gone back and played the game through on easy+ for a nice less stressful jaunt to look around and maybe discover something new without the eminent threat of death looming over my head. Characters come and go, but it is the bit players that make the Last of Us a champion among a crowded field of lesser games. Anyone that has watched the Walking Dead on TV, knows, that it is more about the plight of the people, and less about the zombie creatures(oops sorry AMC). I really liked getting better at the game play as opposed to just saying I finished it and moved on to some other game. There are so many finesse points to learn as you weave your way through the apocalypse that it is amazing how much better you get at completing each of the levels. Always try something different. On another play through you might even find a better tactic to waltz through your enemies or obstacles. This is a highly rewarding game that needs to be played multi-times. I have played several other games and they do not have the enjoyment payout of the Last of US.

I cannot wait until they come out with the sequel to this masterpiece. You know it is coming. Can it be even better? As a line from the Walking Dead claims, that would be worth the price of a pre-order!

Buy it now, and it's only on PS3-4.
on June 20, 2013
This game had a lot of hype coming to its release and for good reason. One of the best games I have ever played! The combat, the relationships with the characters, the voice acting, the graphics, everything is just spot on. Itl grab at your heart strings too!

You follow a man named Joel who has had his life torn apart(and everyone elses) due to A virus that affects humans in the brain. From there you will explore and scavenge just to get by. Observing how the world has changed and just how desperate people have become to survive in this new and dangerous world. You'll eventually meet a young girl named Ellie, in which you are tasked with taking her to a location. Why and where i'll let you discover. You'll see slowly how the chemistry builds between them and how Joel evolves from reluctant care taker to over-bearing and worried about Ellie's every move. The way the characters talk and react to each other really is special. You'll meet fellow travelers, both friend and foe, on your journey but as to which they may be..well, you'll see...

The Last of Us really is a touching game both emotionally and psychologically. If ever there were a game worth $60 retail, this is it.

+Graphics. The game really is beautiful!
+Voice Acting
+Intense Combat
+Dark, gritty world that begs to be explored
+Controls are simple/easy
+Variety of combatants

- Your companions can wonder off and be spotted by the enemy which can end your stealth advantage.
on November 20, 2016
I am by no means a big gamer. I use to play more when I was younger but now only play occasionally. I suck at all the new 1st person games! anyway the family was leaving for the weekend and I decided to dust off the PS3 and geek out for the weekend. I just needed to find a game. Looked around & saw all the good reviews for this game and think it was only around 20 bucks it was about 2 years old. I was glued to the couch Friday night late into Saturday morning woke up and decided I had to finish the game before the family got back, I didn't want any annoying distractions! This game may be the best game I have ever played? This game definitely has the best story line and cut scenes I have ever scene! better than the majority of crap coming out of Hollywood! I would of just happily watched this if it was just an animated movie! The gameplay was a lot of fun & I truly felt a connection to the characters I mean i felt bad when let them die, I know its only a game but thats how good the story line is!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.