Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 9, 2017
I liked the first three seasons of The Legend of Korra. I am an anime fan and a Sci Fi fan so this fits in that genre for me. The Avatar genre, if you will, is not new and has been done and redone to a fare thee well. But for me Legend of Korra has taken a slightly different path and the plot is just enough different to be interesting. I also enjoy the emotional side of all the characters except for the one Industrial Giant dope who is so lacking in common sense. His character just does not fit well anywhere as he is a fail for a bad guy. As much as I like the series, I probably will not watch season four until it is free under the Prime program. Although I expect it to be good, I just don't think it is worthy of spending additional funds to watch.
I choose this rating because the TV show is good. What I like about the TV show is that Korra and Team Avatar embark on a new journey deep into the mythology of the mystical Spirit World, encountering creatures like nothing they've seen before and discovering the truth about the very first Avatar! With a battle for the fate of the world between the light and dark spirits Raava and Vaatu fast approaching, Korra delves deeper into the Avatar's past and realizes what she must do in order to restore balance between the physical and spirit worlds. What I dislike about the TV show is that I wanted to see more of it. I would recommend this TV show to other people.
on May 16, 2015
One of the best animated works I have ever come across. The Japanese animation industry and other anime-fans should take note of the art style and Western-oriented dialogues employed in this show (especially since it shows realistic/relateable female characters/leads) . The directors and voice actors/actresses have sold me on the idea that English dubs can be on par, if not better than Japanese subs. The plot of of each season has some interesting twist and turns, and never feels dragged out. Even the universe sees massive changes past season 2, and it was executed so well with how these changes affected the plot of those seasons. Additionally, each main antagonist are very interesting, unique in their traits and talents.

Probably one of the most important things that I enjoy about this show is the themes it tackles (trauma, relevance of leaders, war, moral grey area, the concept of equality, etc etc.) that go beyond "good vs. evil".

Most importantly, the fluidity of the animation and fight scenes is something to behold. Action is very clear and beautiful to look at.

Lastly, while it would benefit people like myself to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender first, you don't need to watch it to understand/appreciate The Legend of Korra better. There are some references here and there to The Last Airbender, but they are clear and succinct for any fans new and old to have an appreciation of both shows.
on August 5, 2016
If you are a fan of the first avatar series, you have to watch this! I am usually a bigger fan of the original than i am sequels or remakes but this is one of the exceptions! From start to finish it is packed with riveting entertainment. action, comedy, love, drama, magic IT HAS IT ALL. The animation in this series is spectacular , voice acting on point and a story to make it one for the ages. I actually watched this whole series twice in a row it was so good! I never put spoilers in my reviews , but WOW! the last couple episodes had me hooked! even the wait between the episodes was too long for me and had me itching for the next episode to start. I am 25 years old and absolutely love this! i think its a perfect show for all ages from 5 to 105!
on May 15, 2015
The plot is the most ambitious of the series to this point. Mixing the spiritual world with political unrest and a newly fully realized Avatar leaves plenty to be dealt with episode by episode. The problem is the little things don't always pan out, or even make sense as distractions to the overall narative arc. Mako is once again confused and in love. Korra hates her dad. Tenzin has sibling problems. Some of these are handled more gingerly and add important plot devices that flush out the characters more, but some fall flat and just serve as a odd side note to the war of multiple fronts. Bolin's awesome though, don't say anything bad about Bolin.

The real genius of the season is what it sets up in the next seasons. They take some writing risks that have permanent effects on not only the cast but the entire world.

Overall being the second coming of such a beloved series as Avatar: The Last Airbender is not easy. The show writers have to straddle the line between fan service and creativity. I think they do it brilliantly and with far more grace then should be expected of a second iteration.
on September 19, 2016
If you are a fan of "Avatar: the Last Airbender" you are going to like this series as well. Avatar Ang is dead and the power of the Avatar has passed on to his Korra. It is a new age, all that technology that came about during Ang's time has transformed the world. This season is more about the history of the Avatar and the Water Nations, North and South. Korra still has her two friends that make up Team Avatar from the first season. The Northern Water Tribe has invaded the Southern Water Tribe. Unalaq, her Dad's brother cons her into accepting him as her teacher. His only desire though is to open the portals and let Raava free. All will be explained in the series. Enjoyed the shows
on April 23, 2015
This season is let's say interesting some people love it others hate it, in it we will learn the origins of the Avatar and Korra's recklessness causes a civil war between the two Water Tribes... and with it she unleashes an ancient evil that could cause the destruction of the world. We get to know more about the Spirits and the Spirit World and for better or worse Korra will lose a part of herself forever and must rise to bring peace again while reaching her spiritual side to become a complete Avatar and join the spirits and human world once again.

A lot of people dislike this season because of the animation is done by two different studios, the first half of the book are done by Studio Pierrot and the second half are done by Studio Mir, the same which made the first season, some subplots are not as interesting but we get to know new characters like the eccentric millionare Varrick and his assistant Zhu Li, the villian in this season is the weakest in personality of all the books, but it's interesting to know more about the mythology about the Avatar Spirit and the ancient fight between light and darkness.
on August 31, 2015
This has something for everyone! If you want something good for the whole family this is a great option. It is so beautifully done that it keeps the younger member's of your family engaged but has such a wonderful story line that the older member's of the family stay engaged as well. Not to mention that Korra herself teaches lessons of being selfless, compassionate, and ultimately getting up when a mistake knocks you down. I enjoyed watching this with both my 9 year old who LOVED it and and my hubby (52) who kept saying one more episode, then one more episode, and we were all held in rapt attention! Now if you have very young ones such as 0-4 then you may want to watch an episode or two to decide for yourself whether you personally think it is appropriate for how you are raising your children because the bending of the elements and using them to fight may be more "cartoon violence" than you want your children seeing. As for this family we LOVE it!
on August 26, 2014
Avatar: The Legend of Korra is my favorite TV show of all time, and while I admit that this season isn't really the best, it is still worth getting for any fan of the Avatar mythology.

However, I do have one major problem with this DVD collection, and that's the frame-rate. If you look closely. Avatar: The Last Airbender is in fullscreen format in 30 frames per second (nothing wrong with that). Because of the updated cinematic look, The Legend of Korra is in widescreen in 24 frames per second. For me being more of a movie fan than a TV fan, I find that to be a serious plus. So the DVD of Book 1: Air is in 24 fps.

The problem with the DVD of Book 2: Spirits is that the episodes play in 30 fps for a series that was made in 24 fps. As a result, when playing the episodes, with every 4 frames of normal animation, there are either 1 or 2 frames of blended frames to make of for the space of frame rate. So it always looks as though there are certain frames that are stuck in mid-dissolve.

Some people might not understand what I am talking about, but if you play an episode, pause it, and step one frame and at a time, you'll see what I mean. As a video editor and animation lover, this really bothers me.

I'm not sure if the Blu-ray version is the same way (I hope it isn't), but just be aware for that issue.

Otherwise, this is still a great season even if it is not as tight or well paced as the others. It shows that even when the creators are at their least, they're still amazing at what they do.
on August 21, 2014
This is so hard to rate because I really do love it, and the story is excellent, but the first few episodes were stupidly predictable although still entertaining. After the seventh episode I simply couldn't stop watching. They made some really cool changes with the animation for episodes 7 and 8 as they fill in the back story of the very first Avatar.
I feel like there are always some details that get skipped over, like the fact that Korra had mastery of all four elements and yet she is still easily overpowered by a water bender. And the evolution of technology has baffled me since the first season. I feel like there's a lot of details missing from Aang's adult life.

We get more exposure to Tenzin's awesome siblings. General Iroh, on the other hand only showed up for a minute, maybe two at most, for the whole season. The whole Korra Mako relationship is a mess. In fact, Korra's character in general is a mess. She's so hot headed and rash to the point that she deserves to get beat up for all of her stupid decisions. Bolin is entertaining, and there are plenty of characters who bring comic relief to this season, but I still miss Sokka.
Overall, there are a lot of great elements to this season, but as much as I love it, I don't think it reaches the same 5 star level as Avatar: The Last Airbender. I had this same struggle when rating the first session, and I think I caved and gave it 5 stars, because really these are like 9.5 stars on a 10-point scale and just don't merit a mere 4 stars on a 5-point scale. So 4.5 stars rounded up to five