Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Platform: Nintendo 3DS|Change

Showing 1-10 of 786 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,032 reviews
on August 30, 2014
I LOVE this game. This was my first game purchase with my 3DS XL. In waiting for this one to arrive by post, I played the old SNES title A Link to the Past to "warm up" for this one. I'm still in the midst of exploring Hyrule and Lorule, but so far the game is superb. I'm not going to go into too much detail and spoil things, but if you've played ALttP, this title will be a breeze for you. For those who hated fighting Moldorm(that big ugly armored worm), it's easier to fight him in this title. Had to get that out, as I've talked to many people who socked away their ALttP cart in storage, because of Moldorm being so frustrating. No worries this time! The controls are near-perfect, but they take some getting used to. Took me an hour or so. The graphics are great; similar to Animal Crossing, Wind Waker, ALttP, and really cool in the 3D setting. Like I said, I won't spoil the game for you, but I am saying this is a superb game, and you must buy and play this!
**Keep in mind that the 3DS' 3D effects are NOT recommended for kids under 6, and that kids should be supervised while playing these games. This advisory comes from Nintendo themselves; they care about your kids!**
on January 17, 2015
I played A Link to the Past when I was a child, and it was many hours of adventuring and discovery. Upon hearing about the release of this game, I was very excited to know that it was set in the same world. If you played ALTTP, then this game will feel familiar, but fresh. Though the top-down orientation is the same, and most enemies are the same, the new graphics give them a new life of their own.
The new game mechanic of becoming a painting is really something! It changes the way you see space, obstacles, and rooms! Puzzles become more challenging and unique. This is a game where the 3D effects are actually helpful in a few levels! The controls are also great. Link controls like a dream, and swinging your sword feels light and snappy. Sometimes you just want to cut grass for hours! At least I did.
The system for gaining weapons is different this time around. Instead of predictably gaining a new weapon and using it to advance and defeat the boss at the end, you actually have access to all of your weapons and tools at the beginning if you're willing to pay the rental fee to a shopkeeper. The difficulty increases when you realize that if you die, all of your rental items are immediately taken back to the shop and you have to pay to get them back! Money suddenly has value and having as much as possible becomes necessary for weapons and potions!
There's also a function of StreetPass that allows you to battle against the characters of other people. If you defeat them, you can gain achievements and prize money. If not, it's a strike against your win streak. Good fun, as long as you make sure to pick on those who are close to your level.
All in all, I very much enjoyed my playthrough of both the original and Hero mode, which is a harder mode where you take more damage from more tenacious enemies. The learning curve should be good for beginners and veterans alike.
on September 12, 2015
I love this game. It's my second game from the Zelda franchise, my first being Wind Waker. I'd borrow my brother's gamecube and have a great time navigating the oceans, battling the bosses, and getting a wonderful sense of accomplishment every time I figured out one of the difficult puzzles. This is a great game for beginners to the series and has a wonderful story. It's a little predictable, and with all of the power-ups easily accessible it's not as challenging to me as Wind Waker was. But that might be because I'm much older now! I would defiantly recommend this game whether your a budding or long time fan or just someone looking for a good adventure. It's fun, the characters are enjoyable and the music is perfect.
on August 9, 2017
Having lots of fun with this. There are some similarities to Link to the Past (mainly the map), but it feels like a fresh game. I'm finding it to be quite a bit easier than Link to the Past was but it is very enjoyable. Good puzzles and the ability to become a painting adds an interesting dimension to the game. Playing in 3D looks pretty good if you're into that.
on December 28, 2013
With all honesty I'm 21 years old and have lived with knowing, hearing and growing up with The Legend of Zelda; but have never completed a single game of it. I would like to consider my self a "everyday" (Hardcore) gamer with a huge knowledge of video games and others; but ashamed to say that I never "really" played a Zelda game. As a kid I had the Super Nintendo Entertainment system, the Nintendo 64. the Gamecube, so I knew about The Legend of Zelda and I would even read up on it via the internet. So I knew about the character and other Zelda "things". I played the Ocarina of time on the N64, but I was 9 at the time and had no idea what I was doing, and of course Super Mario and 007 where much easier to play. I also did experience Wind Waker, but never really played it. There for I would like to say that this is my first ever The Legend of Zelda game I have played and completed! I absolutely love the game and have fallen deeply in love with the series; enough for me to buy the Ocarina of Time 3D to relive what I have missed. This game is simple yet challenging, hitting every aspect of a top down adventure game with an amazing ability to be able to transform into a portrait and travel along walls!
I don't want to say more or even spoil it for others, but I think that fact that this is my first Zelda game and loved it, should be enough to tell the reader to buy this game... NOW!

P.S I don't have any dislikes, other then my own lose of never playing The Legend of Zelda before.
Also now I can stop calling Link...Zelda.... :-)
on May 16, 2014
I've played through this game twice, and my 11 year old son has once. This is by far the best Zelda game for any of the systems, especially if you're an older gamer like me and spent a summer playing A Link to the Past on the SNES.

The 3DS controls are set up wonderfully and the in game inventory by way of the touch screen is just what an RPG like this needs. The graphics are fantastic, the world is a delight, and the story is as brilliant as ever.

The combat is excellent, given all the different items you can use, and the boss battles are clever. The dungeons take a little brain power to complete, as well as specific items.

If you enjoy RPG games of any kind (not just Zelda titles), I can fully recommend this game.
on May 12, 2015
Been playing Zelda games for years, not a fan boy just a casual player. I never cared for the top down games as much (and I grew up when they were new), but this is different. I love this game, and the wall walking is great--as is the non-linear play style. This is only second to OOT. Highly recommended.
on April 21, 2014
I admit that The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is one of my favorite games of all time. In fact, I play the game once a year simply because it is that awesome. That is something I intend to do for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds since it is a game that is worthy to be a direct sequel to A Link to the Past.

There are new elements to this game that is unique such as renting items. Unlike all previous Zelda games where you will find a new item at each dungeon, this game allows you to rent every item (when it is available), which allows you to tackle dungeons in any order you want. Also, each dungeon contains items that are not necessary to beat the game, but neat power-ups to enhance it. The ability to walk into walls is a great way to introduce new puzzles and game mechanics.

Overall a great game for fans of the Zelda series and adventure/action RPG gamers. You need to play this game. It is simply legendary!
on March 12, 2014
Playing this game was like hitting the rewind button and going back to my youth when I spent countless hours playing 'A Link To The Past'. I was in high school when 'LTTP' came out, and at the time I think it was my favorite video game I've ever played...it still ranks right up near the top today with maybe only 'Ocarina of Time' and 'Chrono Trigger' challenging it for my favorite of all time.

So imagine my delight when I first put this game into my 3DS and basically saw the same look and feel of that game I've loved for so long. I can't say that this game was better than 'Link To The Past'....but that may simply be because of the nostalgia of a game I enjoyed in my youth. But make no mistake, if you have played and enjoyed 'LTTP'...I don't see how you're not gonna LOVE this game. I think it was genius of Nintendo to make a new game that looked and felt so much like a game made so long ago. A part of me wishes that they would release a version of this game for the Wii U simply so I could actually play it on my TV; I'm sure then it would feel even more like I was playing a true sequel to 'LTTP'.

Bottom line, this is a brilliant game that I enjoyed every single minute I played it. It's not a hard game mind you...and it won't take you as long to get through it as a game like 'Ocarina of Time' or 'Windwaker'...but for someone like me who grew up with an Atari 2600 as a child, and then really stepped up to the big time with the NES and SNES...playing this game took me back a bit to when I truly had fun with video games. I know today's games are bigger and look better, but I still think the funnest games I ever played...the ones I truly enjoyed the most, are the ones I played on those older systems. And playing this game reminded me of why I enjoyed them so much.
on June 3, 2014
Zelda Ocarina of Time for N64 was by far the best game I've ever played. The Zelda games have been lacking ever since then. I bought the 3DS XL primarily to get back into Zelda - this was the first game I have played on the system.

All I can say is wow! That Zelda feeling of great design, great game dynamics, and quality are here. I've been having a blast revisiting old memories, exploring - and the dungeons are fun. This has that Zelda classic figure it out/puzzle aspect that is definitely just the right amount of complexity. Some are challenging but it's well fit as to easy would be so boring.

One thing they could improve upon is detail in the maps - I feel like they could have added more scenery in dungeons and complexity in the world in terms of look. However, still 5 starts as we don't get to many games for adults in the 3DS library.

Keep them coming!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.