Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 3D
Platform: Nintendo 3DS|Change

on January 4, 2015
So, my husband and I had bought my son (he's almost 6) a Nintendo 3DS XL for Christmas this year, since he had been SUCH a good boy (cough cough). After bring it home to wrap up, I began to get all nostalgic and my thoughts turned to all those fond memories I had of sitting in front of my old grey-bricked Gameboy, playing for extended periods of time and neglecting my chores and homework. I was remembering all those hours, days and weeks I burned up after Christmas one year, when I myself received the new Gameboy Color! Oh, how happy I was, and oh, how angry my parents were when they got their phone bill! I can't even begin to tell you how many times I called the Nintendo Hotline. I had it memorized and on speed dial. But when it came to wasting my life away on games, Zelda was the one that I was ready to drop out of school for. I was addicted and needed help, clearly. But alas, my love for the games faded when I got to high school, and I began to go more for the boys rather than the Gameboys. So, upon digging up all those old feelings, I decided that I would spoil myself a bit and buy The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds for myself. I thought "Hey, he can't play while he's sleeping! So, I'll just sneak his DS into our bedroom and play for a few minutes before bed!". What a swell idea! Wrongo. This is beginning to turn into my elementary & middle school years all over again. I was up last night till 4am playing this game. And it's been like that pretty much every single night since Christmas. My husband said he's just gonna buy me my own Nintendo 3DS, since every morning when our son wakes up, he finds his battery drained and starts to blame it on his sister, whom is 8 years old and could care less about his 3DS. It's becoming an issue.

But oh my. How could I not love this game! My inner 10 year old just screams with joy every single time I power it on. It's JUST how I remembered it, but with even better features! I love the story line, the graphics make it a joy to play and the color just bursts out at you. It took me some time to get used to the two screens, but now, thanks to all those early morning play sessions, I have it down pretty good. I feel like after I finish this installment, I need to go buy The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, just to be sure that my addiction get's totally and completely out of control. I mean, go all out, right?

All-in-all, you can't go wrong with this game. It does require reading, so I do not recommend this game for the youngsters who have yet to cement their reading skills. But for those of us who can sit down and really get into a game, this one is the ticket. And again, I thank you Nintendo, for resurfacing an addiction that I thought I had controlled years ago. If in a few weeks I begin to stop showering, doing my hair and makeup, eating, grocery shopping, homeschooling our kids, using the restroom and if begin to grow a beard, I'll update this review.
0Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 27, 2017
Until the release of Breath of the Wild, this was my favorite Zelda game. This is WELL above Ocarina of Time [even the 3d version] or Wind Waker (yes, I know, THE HORROR). In terms of handheld entries to this franchise, this is by far the most fun I've had playing Zelda. The core mechanic of merging into a 2d space to solve puzzles is worked in really nicely, and it's used about as far as it can go without overextending its usefulness (which is hard to do with Zelda gimmicks/mechanics).

Admittedly, it does pull its map and Light World/Dark World transition from A Link to the Past, but it works much more nicely. I think the ability to switch between worlds at various cracks in the wall (rather than having to go way back to your one warp spot) works better. If you liked Link to the Past, you'll probably like this game. If you like Zelda and are looking for a challenge, especially in Hero Mode, I'd recommend this over any other Zelda game. Except for Breath of the Wild, of course, that takes the cake. But ignoring that, this is well worth the price and its replayability is much higher than other Zelda games.
on January 17, 2014
I am not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination. I cannot even remember the last time I committed to playing a video game from start to finish. When I was 12 I was given A Link to the Past as a gift and I dove in head first. I enjoyed everything about it and it solidified a genuine true love for the Zelda franchise. When I saw that a direct sequel to 'A Link to the Past' was coming out I was excited. I don't use my 3DS all that often but I've been addicted to this game since the day Amazon dropped it off on my front step. The game in itself is it's own adventure but retains so much of A Link to the Past DNA that the nostalgia factor alone made the game worth its weight in gold...err, rubies. I would recommend this adventure for anyone of any age. It's involved, committed and has moments of deep beauty. I didn't use the 3D often but I did for the videos and some of the dungeons because a few of them are just plain FUN and the 3D really enhances the gaming experience.

All in all I really loved this game. It stays true to the original but retains it's own epic identity. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't keep us waiting another 20 years for a sequel. But if they do, I'll be the first 53 year old in line.
Growing up with The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past set the bar fairly high fairly early on in my gaming career. I never had a Nintendo 64, and I did try Windwaker on my Game Cube, but couldn't get into it. I was very excited when I found out this game was on the 3DS, as it seemed to pay homage to A Link to the Past, and it definitely delivers! It feels like a proper Zelda game. The controls are very responsive, as I'd expect. Overall, I'm pleased with the graphics. The developers did a wonderful job rendering the game, and the ability to jump into the walls adds a very nice dimension to the game play (no pun intended) without feeling too gimmicky. This game definitely scratches that nostalgia itch while simultaneously feeling current. This is a slam dunk!
Top Contributor: Star Warson February 4, 2015
A Link Between Worlds is a solid entry in the Zelda franchise, and a welcome return to the top-down roots of the series. Nintendo has done an excellent job translating the world of Link to the Past into 3D, and this new title offers plenty of welcome changes to the aging Zelda formula for a fresh new experience.

I originally wasn't excited about the star feature - the ability to merge into walls - but Nintendo nailed it, and puzzles that make excellent use of this new mechanic are found throughout the game. While progression in Zelda games has traditionally been a bit rigid, Nintendo has really opened things up in A Link Between Worlds. After completing the first few dungeons, players can play the remaining dungeons in any order.

Most of the classic items - bow, hookshot, fire rod, boomerang, etc - are not unlocked by beating dungeons, but rented or purchased (with rupees, no IAP!) from an eccentric shop-owner (who looks more than a little like a purple Rabbid...). The shop opens up very early in the game, also giving players a lot more freedom than they've had in previous Zelda games. I welcome this new mechanic - hasn't Link found the hookshot in a dungeon enough times by now? This also eliminates the rather silly aspect of previous games that bosses were inevitably hiding in the same dungeon as the one item necessary to defeat them. However, the new approach does make the bosses themselves a bit less memorable - several of them can be defeated with just the sword.

The overworld is packed with tons of content to keep players engaged outside of the central story. Puzzles and treasure are densely scattered everywhere. Link can collect little sea urchins to upgrade his weapons, and with 100 of them hidden around the world, you'll be challenged to find them all! There are also a large number of rupee-winning minigames, each of which awards the player with a piece of heart when he or she scores well enough.

A Link Between Worlds places a much greater emphasis on rupees than previous titles in the series. You can carry (at least) 9,999 rupees from the start, and you'll certainly be needing them. In addition to the usual, you've got weapons to rent or buy, potions to purchase, fortune tellers to pay, and of course the entry fees on the many games. Rupees are plentiful and you'll never run low, but you'll also need plenty of time to earn enough to purchase *everything*! Finally, a Zelda game where money doesn't become meaningless after the first act.

It doesn't quite have as much heart as Link's Awakening, and a few of the bosses and dungeons are less than memorable, but overall A Link Between Worlds is a fantastic and much-needed title in this long-running series. A must-have for any fan of classic Zelda.

Now, let's hope they make a 3D remake of Link's Awakening... HINT HINT
on November 22, 2017
Link to the past was my favorite zelda game of all time so playing this is a real throwback and brings a smile on my face. Although I would have likely been happier with SNES style graphics they still did a great job of imitating the world map and and certain landscapes with updated graphics giving it a fresh feel to it as well. I have only gotten so far in the game right not, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's enough like the original that it offers nostalgic relief at the same time its got a completely new story and graphics design making it feel fresh and new at the same time.
on January 17, 2015
I played A Link to the Past when I was a child, and it was many hours of adventuring and discovery. Upon hearing about the release of this game, I was very excited to know that it was set in the same world. If you played ALTTP, then this game will feel familiar, but fresh. Though the top-down orientation is the same, and most enemies are the same, the new graphics give them a new life of their own.
The new game mechanic of becoming a painting is really something! It changes the way you see space, obstacles, and rooms! Puzzles become more challenging and unique. This is a game where the 3D effects are actually helpful in a few levels! The controls are also great. Link controls like a dream, and swinging your sword feels light and snappy. Sometimes you just want to cut grass for hours! At least I did.
The system for gaining weapons is different this time around. Instead of predictably gaining a new weapon and using it to advance and defeat the boss at the end, you actually have access to all of your weapons and tools at the beginning if you're willing to pay the rental fee to a shopkeeper. The difficulty increases when you realize that if you die, all of your rental items are immediately taken back to the shop and you have to pay to get them back! Money suddenly has value and having as much as possible becomes necessary for weapons and potions!
There's also a function of StreetPass that allows you to battle against the characters of other people. If you defeat them, you can gain achievements and prize money. If not, it's a strike against your win streak. Good fun, as long as you make sure to pick on those who are close to your level.
All in all, I very much enjoyed my playthrough of both the original and Hero mode, which is a harder mode where you take more damage from more tenacious enemies. The learning curve should be good for beginners and veterans alike.
on June 3, 2014
Zelda Ocarina of Time for N64 was by far the best game I've ever played. The Zelda games have been lacking ever since then. I bought the 3DS XL primarily to get back into Zelda - this was the first game I have played on the system.

All I can say is wow! That Zelda feeling of great design, great game dynamics, and quality are here. I've been having a blast revisiting old memories, exploring - and the dungeons are fun. This has that Zelda classic figure it out/puzzle aspect that is definitely just the right amount of complexity. Some are challenging but it's well fit as to easy would be so boring.

One thing they could improve upon is detail in the maps - I feel like they could have added more scenery in dungeons and complexity in the world in terms of look. However, still 5 starts as we don't get to many games for adults in the 3DS library.

Keep them coming!
on September 12, 2015
I love this game. It's my second game from the Zelda franchise, my first being Wind Waker. I'd borrow my brother's gamecube and have a great time navigating the oceans, battling the bosses, and getting a wonderful sense of accomplishment every time I figured out one of the difficult puzzles. This is a great game for beginners to the series and has a wonderful story. It's a little predictable, and with all of the power-ups easily accessible it's not as challenging to me as Wind Waker was. But that might be because I'm much older now! I would defiantly recommend this game whether your a budding or long time fan or just someone looking for a good adventure. It's fun, the characters are enjoyable and the music is perfect.
on May 16, 2014
I've played through this game twice, and my 11 year old son has once. This is by far the best Zelda game for any of the systems, especially if you're an older gamer like me and spent a summer playing A Link to the Past on the SNES.

The 3DS controls are set up wonderfully and the in game inventory by way of the touch screen is just what an RPG like this needs. The graphics are fantastic, the world is a delight, and the story is as brilliant as ever.

The combat is excellent, given all the different items you can use, and the boss battles are clever. The dungeons take a little brain power to complete, as well as specific items.

If you enjoy RPG games of any kind (not just Zelda titles), I can fully recommend this game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.