Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change
Price:$29.95+ $4.59 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 1,047 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,321 reviews
on May 29, 2014
I guess I am not your average gamer. I am 62 and retired. My daughter recommended Zelda a Link Between Worlds. I inadvertently got this one. She feared I would be frustrated. I dove into this game with a Wiki Guide. I have completed the game, and found it Brilliant. It was designed very well and the visual effects were awesome. It was tough for me, but I beat the final boss. I loved the challenges and the skills to complete the game.
33 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2016
I have never played with (on?) a Nintendo-- I was born too many years ago. I have a grandson, however, that not only loves the Nintendo, but particularly loves The Legend of Zelda games, and when The Ocarina of Time came out, it was all he wanted for Christmas. [Harrumph-- when I was a kid, we got an orange and a pair of socks-- to share between six kids. These kids these days don't know how easy they've got it!]

Pretending ignorance (which was admittedly easy), I bought him... A 'Legend of Zelda' plastic ocarina. He unwrapped his gift, hoping for the best, while I looked forward to watching his face while he tried to look happy so I wouldn't feel bad. Instead, he grinned, and said "Okay, Papa, where's my real present?" He's known me too long, and knows me too well.

He was thrilled with the game. It lived completely up to his (high) expectations. He disappeared into his room, and we wouldn't have seen him for the rest of the Christmas vacation if his mother hadn't insisted on his rejoining the family from time to time.

I admit that I don't understand the appeal, but he loves it, and I love him-- and the Ocarina in Time helped give him a happy Christmas.

Recommended.
on March 24, 2016
If you have a Nintendo 3DS this game is a must have. Ocarina of Time is one of the highest praised games of all time and for good reason. The story is intriguing, the gameplay is fun and the dungeons and puzzles are entertaining with just the right amount of difficulty. This remake makes it even better. the graphics are phenomenal and the gameplay is very smooth. Master Quest is included as well so once you beat the game you can give it another run through on a higher difficulty. If your anything like me, you remember playing Ocarina of Time as a kid and you probably fell in love with it like I did. Do yourself a favor and buy this game and enter a state of nostalgia like I did, your childhood memories will thank you. For those of you that never played Ocarina of Time, I highly recommend picking this up. It's a classic game that you'll enjoy playing all the way through. Coming from a die hard Zelda fan, this remake does not disappoint. Nintendo did an awesome job with it. So don't wait, put this masterpiece in your amazon cart and order it now!
on October 23, 2015
Do not believe the picture they have up on the product that is for sale. It shows you the original English one and it says it's from Nintendo but you're getting the French /English version. Now that's not too much of a big deal but it completely ruins the box art for me and other collectors. I guess I'll just have to print out a usable cover for it. The game itself is fine. But I recommend that they advertise it as the French and English version instead to avoid future mix disappointme
on March 19, 2017
Received the Nintendo Select English/French version which is not what is pictured here, worth less than this item's price, and not what I wanted. If you're looking to get the original box art for collection purposes, as I was, be sure to inquire before purchasing.

That being said I have to rate it a 5 for the game itself. A portable remake of the game I loved as a child, and the addition of the Master Quest made it a no-brainer to buy. Though I appreciate the quality of life features and texture improvements, my qualm is that the updated colours make the game look a lot brighter, leaving me missing the grunge-y, "darker" feeling N64 version.
review image
on November 30, 2016
I would be wary of buying this particular listing. I specifically bought the OOT listing that would have the original cover, and I instead got the Nintendo Selects version (which is significantly cheaper). I had no problem with this since I was refunded my money (and the game content is identical), but for anyone who isn't as lucky as me please keep this in mind.

I'm giving this product a 5/5 for game content. However, for the actual product listing would be a 0/5.
review image
on April 10, 2013
I love this game. After all the games I've played on my 3DS I still think it is the best so far. I would've preferred a new Zelda game of course but I will settle for this. I still remember playing the first Zelda on the NES as a kid and I loved it then and I love it now. I even downloaded the NES version to my Wii. A lot of people have different opinions about which game is the best on the 3DS but for me it's this one. If not only for the fact that it seems to be the most free roaming so far. My second choice would be Super Mario Bros 2 3DS.
on December 16, 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, is truly a special game. It is one of those rare treats in an artistic medium for which the universal praise and superlatives are entirely true no matter what angle you look at it from. Very few would argue against Ocarina of Time's greatness, or its lasting impact on the industry as a whole, and the fact remains that even after all these years since its release, it still reigns supreme as the world record holder for highest rated game in history. To attempt to remake such a classic masterpiece is a very daunting task indeed, but developer Grezzo, under Nintendo's watchful eye, did just that. The question is, is the remake worthy of the original's name? In short, yes, yes it is. This, to me, is the shining example of what remakes should be, but allow me to go into greater detail to explain why I think this.

Full Disclosure: The Legend of Zelda series is my favorite franchise in video games (a hobby I consider my favorite pastime). It is no stretch to say that Ocarina could very well be the greatest video game ever made thus far in the relatively young entertainment medium. The incredibly epic story of good versus evil, the compelling characters, the masterful gameplay, the beautiful art design, the iconic music, the sheer variety and amount of excellent content, the majesty and mystery of exploring the massive (at the time of its release, anyway) world of Hyrule, Ocarina had it all, and honestly, it still does. You could play this today in its original format and despite its age, you'd still get a masterpiece (as evident by its popularity on the Wii Virtual Console). I make no apologies for my belief in these statements, and I stand by them. Obviously, when considering how to rate a remake, you first have to consider the backbone of the package by analyzing the original works being remade. Ocarina 3D has one of the best games ever to work with, so no problems here. Second, you have to consider what work went into the game to qualify it as a "remake" AND if it benefits the original work enough to warrant a remake treatment. How does Ocarina of Time 3D fare in that regard?

Back in 1998, Ocarina of Time was groundbreaking in many ways as a 3D adventure game, but one of the most striking examples of this were in its visuals. If you play the original today, you'll obviously notice Ocarina has aged pretty horribly, despite the timeless art design, gameplay, music, story, etc. Graphically, Ocarina needed a facelift, and this 3DS remake does just that masterfully. From character models/animations to structures to textures, literally everything was remade from the ground up visually. Grezzo's goal in remaking the visuals was to finally channel the exact art design that was originally conceived, seen through the original official concept/promotional art for the game. That been said, rather than being the detailed, adult graphic novel style of Twilight Princess, OoT3D is more like a vibrant, colorful stylized comic book/anime. Is that bad? By no means! It's more a matter of taste. Personally, I think this game is absolutely gorgeous! The 3DS is essentially a portable Gamecube in terms of graphical capabilities, so imagine that kind of power channeling the original epic concept and promotional art for Ocarina and you have a pretty good idea what you're looking at here. If you don't think the difference between the original and this is much, I dare you to say so after looking at videos and screenshots of them side-by-side. Yes, in terms of visuals, Grezzo nailed it with this remake! To play Ocarina with the visuals it was always intended to have before but couldn't because of hardware limitations is reason enough alone to warrant a purchase, but that's not all Ocarina 3D has going for it visually.

Another visual treatment that this remake got was one that only the 3DS could offer: 3-D (duh). In all honesty, this is one of the better examples of stereoscopic 3-D on the 3DS. I actually found myself playing the game with the 3-D slider all the way up most of the time, and viewed it as an essential aspect to the experience, something I did not expect going into it. That 3-D effect really lent this feeling of organic life to the game, and helped Hyrule truly feel like a living, breathing world. As gimmicky as that all may sound, it's very true in this game's case. Nintendo did a great job making this a showpiece for the 3DS' three-dimensional capabilities. The only problem I ever encountered in this area was image ghosting in places where there was very high contrast, but that's more of a criticism of the 3DS' screen system and not this game.

Koji Kondo's work as the main composer in Ocarina of Time is unrivaled in terms of iconic, brilliant music in a game. To this day, Ocarina's music is required listening for any fan of Nintendo, Zelda, video games, you name it. That been said, they did not rock the boat when handling the soundtrack for this game. The music was remastered, but plays pretty much unaltered in any way from the original (per Kondo's request). It's fun to take in the sound/music design in this game, as the original was pretty groundbreaking in this way. For example, the Hyrule field theme would change in pace and instrumentation depending on circumstances, which is something we take for granted today, but back then it was amazing. It is still impressive today. Grezzo's treatment of the audio was extremely respectful, upgrading and refining without altering, and as a massive fan of Zelda, that is exactly what I wanted.

The controls are as intuitive and satisfying as ever, and in some areas may actually be better than the good ol' N64 "pitchfork" set-up, which always worked so well. The lower touchscreen on the 3DS is utilized to great effect, making looking at the map, changing equipment and gear, changing the view to first-person, talking to Navi, using two of four item slots, and playing the Ocarina, all smoother and more accessible. Otherwise, the action buttons are masterfully mapped on the 3DS' button layout, no complaints there. I DID find my hand cramping after extended play due to the button placement for z-targeting and shield usage, but that's more criticism of the slick, compact 3DS itself. This 3DS hand grip helped *immensely* in that way (and if you have a 3DS XL, then I highly recommend this grip). You also have the option to use the 3DS' gyroscopic capabilities to aim things like your bow that feels really good to use, but that often means losing the 3-D effect, so there is a trade-off there.

To summarize, this remake is, in my opinion, the best version of one of the best video games ever made. It makes substantial upgrades to the original in its visuals, 3-D implementation, audio remastering, controls, as well as the inclusion of the Master Quest (a game that plays the same as the original, except that it is mirrored and the temples/dungeons are very different and much harder, as a challenge to Ocarina veterans). The fact that this new portable version of one of the most revered games ever channels the spirit of the original so perfectly while still feeling brand new again is pretty amazing. In my opinion, that is everything a remake should be, and is exponentially better than the hideously lazy cash grab opportunities that comprise most remake/rerelease/port efforts, but in all honesty, this isn't really a "remake." No, it's more of a respectful refinement. You can tell that the developers were constantly cognizant of the massive shoes of the original, and so refined all that had aged and respectfully left untouched all that makes this game so timeless, and timeless it most certainly is. It is just as good now as it was all those years ago, and is a game that would be worth buying the 3DS for alone. Yes, Ocarina of Time is indeed one of the greatest games ever made, but here's what you maybe didn't expect: Ocarina of Time 3D actually refines and revitalizes this timeless masterpiece. Buy it, save the beautiful kingdom of Hyrule once again, and become the destined Hero of Time.
1212 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2014
I have to say I don't play my DS nearly enough. Mostly because the games are not that good. This game on the other hand is so much fun! I've played this game 100 times and each time I still love to play it. Brings me back to my N64. Highly recommended even for just the nostalgia!
on September 16, 2012
I am past 40 and I bought this one for my kids based on its glowing reviews. It had been a while since I actually played significantly, and although I enjoy a little gaming from time to time, I am not a hard-core gamer.
I find that everything the most positive reviews have stated in this page so far is true for me: I tried it on the 3Ds I bought for my kids on the flight back home and -wow-.
The 3Ds screen is pretty and all but even played with the 3D slider on "off" the game is absolutely great
- The graphics are simply stunning, even in 2D; all the more in 3D. The detail, the textures, the impressive design of the faces, the ambiances - nearly everything is beautiful.
- The music is great and it plays an important role in the game itself, as you learn a few tunes along the way and trigger events by playing them back (on the 3Ds buttons) at the right place and time. I caught myself humming or whistling some of these more often than I dare admit. My son too, on his saxophone.
- The world to explore is very broad and detailed, with lots of side quests and fun.
- The story is a little on the complicated and linear side but nothing dramatic and in the end who cares?
- The difficulty is reasonable, all with some ways to get hints from inside the game through some precognition stones, which saved my day a number of times when I got stuck.
- Very good balance of discovery, adventure, problem solving and fight. It's a game where it pays to be nice to people, and it's a game that forgives a lot of mistakes.

All in all, I was a little weary to hand that to my kids because of the influence of cartoon violence (as a life choice they do not have access to TV) but the mix of problem solving, discovery, learning to dare wander in the dark etc. makes it probably the greatest game I have seen so far, and this is not just because of the 3D or the technical perfection of the game.

I read a review stating this was the first game making it worth buying a 3DS. I don't know the other games that much but for this one I agree.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.