Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Format: Video Game|Change

on February 26, 2015
"Ocarina of Time 3D," a remake of the great N64 game, feels timeless in its approach. There are no politics, no heavy plots, just the basic eternal struggle of good vs evil - the light trying to endure against the darkness. Link, the young hero, is virtuous; bright-eyed, he's of very few words and wears an iconic green tunic and hood. In one hand is a sword and in the other a trusty shield. His enemy is Ganondorf, who could plainly be described as pure evil since his sole purpose is to acquire power and use it to destroy or enslave everything within the kingdom of Hyrule. Princess Zelda knows Ganondorf's true motives, even if the king does not, and entrusts Link to journey far and wide in hopes of stopping him. As I played, I was taken in by so many of the unique places this game creates. There's Kokiri Forest, a small lush little village with fairies flying all around, and which leads to The Great Deku Tree, a giant tree with its bark shaped like a face, and to the Lost Woods, which first seems like a confusing maze until you learn its pattern. Death Mountain is a fiery volcano housing the Gorgons, a race of very distinct pear-shaped rock-eating creatures. The most unique is Zora's Domain, a series of winding rivers leading to a large cavern of underground lakes and waterfalls. At its core, this is a game about completing dungeons through puzzle solving. They're very well-designed here, if a bit obscure at times. There's a great sense of accomplishment as your heart containers increase and your inventory fills up with useful items (bow, slingshot, hookshot, etc.). It's also a long game with plenty of secrets and side activities (find all 100 Gold Skulltulas, I dare you). This game has a simple story, told plainly, with the simple premise of obtaining that which is necessary to vanquish evil, and finding the courage to do so. This is a masterful classic.

--- 5 STARS ---
on October 5, 2015
I made a promise that if Majora's Mask ever hit the 3DS I'd get this game as well and give Ocarina of Time a try, then came the Nintendo Direct that announced Majora's Mask 3D, I was so excited, and I was ready to fulfill my promise. I am most definitely glad I did, I've been missing out on a great title for so long. This game is regarded by Zelda fans the same way Final Fantasy VII is regarded by Final fantasy fans, whereas FFVII brought 3D models and cinematics to RPGs, Ocarina of Time brought full 3D open world environments to videogames, not only that but brought alot of beloved elements to the Zelda series such as Epona, Link's loyal horse companion. It wasn't easy to get, for some reason this game was given a limited release, despite the TV advertising it received when it first released. Though it is also available digitally, I personally prefer to get physical copies of games, so it was quite a search, and the prices were all quite hefty, but it was well worth it. All in all, this game is a solid 9.5/10, I highly recommend it.
on August 26, 2014
A blast from the past but not for me.

I purchased this for my wife and she was hooked on it the second it arrived at the door step. I was never a big zelda fan when the games came out but had played this one a little. I also purchased an Ocarina for her as this was a birthday present. She was very excited upon opening the game and was glued to it for days whenever she had free time.

My only concern when I purchased it was the water temple. I knew about the issues with the keys and accidentally using all of them before you reached certain doors. I can safely say that issue has been fixed. She was able to complete the game with no trouble at all and was actually quite sad when it was over.

I am sure she will pick it up again soon. She also said it was more fun to play on the 3DS than it was on the N64, so I assume the controls are better and I have already looked at videos and know the graphics have been updated as well.

Great present, I hope they remake more of these games for the DS.
on June 26, 2013
This is without a doubt one of the most excellent versions of this classic game that there is-period. I remember many things about this game-hunting for golden skulltulas, finding heart pieces, fishing (which is frustrating, but not a major part of the game), horseback riding, the bombchu bowling, the clever use of various tools such as a slingshot, bow, bombs, megaton hammer, the magic songs of the ocarina, and the list goes on, the great fairies, the fearsome monsters (including the super powerful Iron Knuckle! But I manage to beat them every time without ever getting hit even once!!!) and, of course, the dungeons-there is the inside of a tree where an evil monster is that put a curse upon the Deku Tree, and there is also the temple where you raise and lower the water level to proceed, and even the Spirit Temple, which you have to visit as a child and an adult-oh, yes, there is time travel in this game-and defeat Twinrova, the fire and ice witch-which was very fun. And this time, you get a boss rush mode, where you can fight the bosses of the past over and over (one reviewer complained that Ganondorf and Ganon weren't included in it-but you can fight them any time you like once you beat the game, so I don't understand that complaint) and what can I say about environments? There is the Zora's Domain, a watery world full of fish like people called the Zoras, and there is Death Mountain, where the Gorons live, and there is Kokori Forest, which is an awesome place!!! And what can I say about the story? It is easily one of the best Zelda games ever made because of the story! It revolves around the Triforce, which the bad guy, Ganondorf, schemes to claim in order to become the god of the world (and who doesn't love pwning a villain that would make themselves god and enslave the peasants to their will?) and you, as Link, must stop him!!! I highly recommend that you pick this game up today, if you haven't already! If anyone has any questions about this game, let me know, and I shall answer every single one to the best of my ability!
on May 13, 2016
I loved the game when it was on N64, this game was good too. However, the 5 star rating has nothing to do with content of the game. As noted before, I loved the game, but that is the same all around whether I play it on the Wii, XBox, Xbox360, etc. etc. (P.S. I have no clue if it is actually on those devices, but the point is made...different screen sizes don't make the game better or worse...) The 5-star rating was for the promptness of service and the pristine condition of the game itself and the box, but seeing that it came directly from Nintendo, I expected nothing less than that. They seem to always deliver an amazing product, and this is why I keep going back again and again to Nintendo products.
on February 15, 2012
I've heard a lot of belly-aching about the 3DS being bombarded with "ports" of old games, but from what I've seen that is mostly not true. Ocarina of Time 3D (along with Star Fox 64 3D) is a remake in the sense that Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver were remakes; although the revision is faithful to the point of replicating most of the original version's flaws, the graphical and control upgrades are so significant that in good faith one cannot merely label it a "port." It isn't. The game itself is the same, but the control scheme and menu navigation are very different for this dual-screen handheld console, and ALL of the graphics in this title have been updated and given the 3D treatment. Although the 3D effect is nice (particularly when you are looking across an open field or there are dust/particle effects), it isn't central to game-play and doesn't have the depth that other original titles for the 3DS have. This makes sense as OoT wasn't designed with stereoscopic 3D in mind. I still played the vast majority of this title with the 3D slider turned up because the development team did an excellent job with the effect. The graphical revisions in particular are very noteworthy. This looks like a graphically impressive Gamecube or Wii game. Backgrounds, which were previously very flat and static have been given depth and detail. Character models are much more rounded, without all of the sharp angles that proliferated in the N64 title. The graphical update particularly shines when it comes to faces and character models, though. Link's polygonal form and strange looking face are no more: this looks more like the version of Link seen in Twilight Princess in terms of the level of detail. Other background characters look similarly impressive.

Controls and menu navigation are much easier than they used to be. One useful addition is the gyroscopic controls when Link is aiming something. Switching out items is no longer as laborious a task as it was in original. And a change made in item assignment, with the iron boots in particular, make the dreaded Water Temple a much more pleasant experience.

I haven't noticed many changes to the actual game itself. There is now a helpful map feature in the aforementioned Water Temple that allows you to easily reference which rooms change the water level on each floor. Also included is a new structure that allows you to see 'visions' of what awaits you in your quest, essentially throwing you a bit of a bone if you're completely baffled about what to do next. I can't make any comments on the changes in the included Master Quest version of the game as I never played the original Master Quest on the original Gamecube. Its inclusion here does significantly affect the length and replayability of this title, though.

Annoyances with the original remain, of course. The game's wonky save system is still there, along with the unforgiving way you're treated if you manage to lose all of your lives to a temple's boss (I can't tell you how many times I had to traverse the entire length of the Shadow Temple because Bongo-Bongo kept killing me). Autolocking on enemies (so revolutionary for its time) is still a troubled and error-prone experience, and the game's substandard camera issues remain.

Although the changes from the original aren't as drastic as those in-between, say, the original Resident Evil on the PS1 and REmake on the Gamecube, they are still fairly major, and if you enjoy Zelda games AT ALL this is a wise investment. Especially if you never had a chance to play the Master Quest version of this game before this remake. This is highly, highly recommended, and is one of the best games on the 3DS.
on October 9, 2013
It's even better than it was back on N64. I was a little skeptical that I would like such a detailed game on a 3DS, but when I bought my 3DS XL it was the 1st game I purchased. And I love it as much as the original. A great update/upgrade is being able to move your viewing angle by moving the 3DS. I greatly appreciated that while playing a mini game. When using the slingshot to break jewels instead of trying to perfectly aim using the stick I just moved the 3DS slightly left, right, up, or down. It was definitely a more natural feeling.

I don't think I'd like the game as much on a regular 3DS, b/c I can't see liking the game play on a smaller screen. But on the 3DS XL, it seemed just big enough handle such an open world. Especially when moving around dungeons and dealing with the day/night time changes.
on June 16, 2015
Amazing remaster of this timeless classic! Just as a note for those looking to purchase, the "FR" boxes clueless retailers are selling is playable in both ENGLISH and FRENCH. It will use your systems language to pick the correct one. I have one of the "FR" copies, and it works fine on my American 3DS. Just don't get European if you live in North America (the box is not gold, looks different) because it is region locked.
on October 6, 2015
My favorite video game from my childhood in a new light. Amazing 3D, plays just how I remember it bugs and all (some really handy for speed runs). Now there is a nifty boss rush mode you can access by sleeping in your bed in the Kokiri forest, on top of that you can unlock Master quest once you've beaten the first playthrough, though this time the whole game has been mirrored (Twilight Princess Wii style) on top of added difficulty. Something have been removed, like no blood splatter at the bottom of the well in Kakariko village, no death counter on load screens, and the deku stick damage got nerfed big time (you used to be able to kill the first 3 bosses with jump attacks with the deku stick in 2-4 hits), as well as all changes made in previous versions (fire temple music, mirror shields design, and Ganon's blood being green). All in all i'm 100% satified with my purchase, might even pick up another copy for my nephew and have him play through it. If your a long time Legend of Zelda fan looking to relive childhood memory's buy it. If you are new to the franchise and are checking this game out for the first time, FRIKIN BUY IT!!! You won't regret it.
on March 20, 2015
I am so happy I got my hands on a copy of this game! Growing up and playing it on the N64 was always a blast, and I will never forget how to find and do everything there is to do in it. Which is what I love most about the addition of the Master version you can play through alternatively to the original version (hooray for options eh?). While the story is the same, of course, the Master version is switched up in game play as it offers tweaks for those of us who know the original like the back of our hands. Certain collectible locations change, the Temples and dungeons have changes to them that make you work to sort out their new puzzles all while being in a familiar place, enemies are more abundant and feel more like a threat than an inconvenience. It's a lot of fun, and I couldn't be happier with it. The graphics are lovely as well. From details more vividly shown like posters etc that couldn't really be seen well on the original, to smoothing out character models, to making your surroundings just pop with additional pieces that add more to the scenery than one might think. Everything is vibrant and this really has breathed a whole new life into this classic game. Controls aren't hard to use in the slightest, and while I miss the old set up for the ocarina - new buttons to play it with gives me something else to memorize I suppose.

Point is if you're an old fan of this game, like me, and you haven't gotten it - try to find a copy asap because you won't be disappointed. If you're someone who hadn't played it before, chances are you'll still enjoy it a lot.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.