Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 3, 2015
Skyward Sword ranks in my top three Zelda games, so it's needless to say that I don't get the hate for this game. I was captivated from start to finish while playing, even though I already knew the plot and all the twists because I'd watched an LP of this game on YouTube.

Not only are the graphics beautiful (the entire design of this game is lovely af and I seriously marvel at the beauty of it every time I play), but the story is also wonderful and captivating. The one-to-one swordplay is also pretty fun, I gotta admit - and I'm someone who usually prefers not to use WiiMotes because I'm not a fan of them.

In short, this game is a beautiful story of the origins of Link, Zelda and Ganon. It's so freaking pretty that I'm rendered nearly speechless looking at the art and graphics. It's got a lovely soundtrack, and it's just super fun to play. It's definitely worth a buy!
on October 12, 2014
Absolutely loved this game. The story was amazing, the motion detection worked well, and the levels were fun and creative. My only gripe is that there is so much dialogue and it can't be skipped. When buying potions and supplies or having things upgraded you must sit there and listen to the descriptions of everything then the vendors go on about how disappointed they are when you decide not to buy something. Or if you die and have to replay a boss battle, you sometimes have to rehear minutes of dialogue before the fight starts. It would have shaved hours off of the play time if you could skip through these conversations.
The music CD is outstanding, but it's really just the two tracks with the main theme that I really like. It's pretty short but fun to listen to. It's the only CD I keep in my car.
on August 29, 2014
Perhaps I shouldn't actually say 'instant'. It did take me a little while to get into this new Zelda world.

The game, I thought, had a pretty solid story. As an OOT fan, I was tickled by some of the foreshadowing gradually revealed throughout the game. As a whole, I thought the game utilized the wii controls far better than any other wii game I've played. I felt like I was fairly evenly using all of the buttons and all parts of the controller without things being too cumbersome. It felt awesome to actively have to pay attention to my sword slashes and shield bashes as I played. In intense battles, I even felt myself getting tired, which could be annoying, but more so added to the immersive environment that the game/control combination offered.

I thought the basic storyline was both simplistic and a little deeper. More often than not I did still find myself surprised at some of the plot twists, and often pleased by different things I discovered. I was also satisfied with the ending.

One thing people may dislike is the rigidity of the surface world. As a player, you have an entire sky to explore, but you have very little to explore on the actual ground. Those more of a fan of size of the world in Wind Waker or Twilight Princess may find it to be a little bit of a step back from how much you can explore the world.

Overall, I was pleased with the game and find it a valuable addition to the series. I'd highly recommend a play through at least once, if not multiple times.
on August 2, 2013
Skyward Sword is a still a fairly new Zelda game, and I just recently finished it, but I can definitely say that it is one of the very best of the Zelda games so far, and I have played all of them. The story is engaging, imaginative, humorous, and very fun. This installment clearly borrows some elements from previous Zelda games, but it's undeniably original. The motionplus is occasionally difficult to control, and not quite as comfortable as a traditional controller, but it actually adds to the gameplay experience overall, as it's more interactive. Previously, enemies in Zelda games were very predictable and repetitive; they're more challenging and fun in this game. Link is also more acrobatic in this game, allowing for much faster running and climbing.

Many reviewers have pointed out that this game doesn't offer enough exploration or interesting side quests. It's true that there's not much of an emphasis on sidequests. It seems there hasn't been since Majora's Mask, but I can do without those if the game offers a well-developed main quest, and this game delivered on that. As for exploration, there was enough for me, but what there could have been more of is variation. Skyward Sword has only three regions underneath the clouds and each of them has two dungeons apiece. The respective dungeons are kind of similar too. I don't consider this a huge drawback, but it still would have been cool to see some more diverse areas.

The dungeons were created in a very meticulous and logical way. There are many shortcuts that make navigation a breeze. There were some that were so convenient that they were just really surprising. I did get completely stuck a few times in this game and had to consult a walkthrough several times, something that I don't really like to have to do. This game is fairly easy apart from that. There are the silent realms though. There are four of them and they can be very frustrating. The game would have been significantly better without them. There's also the infamous tadtones quest at the end. Both of these inhibit the game's overall quality.

The characterization in this game is excellent. Zelda is endearing and full of personality. The antagonist, Ghirahim, is volatile, amusing, and is actually a presence in the whole game. He appears many more times than most villains do in these games. Link is much more expressive as well. He doesn't really speak in this game and there's no need for him to because his expressions convey everything.

I can't truly review a Zelda game without mentioning the music. Zelda has always been renowned for its complex, melodic, and unforgettable music. It's a huge part of what makes the games so great. The music suits the games perfectly. Skyward Sword's soundtrack consists of some iconic and gorgeous melodies, two or three of which are just as beautiful as those of the classics, but, overall, it's a little inconsistent. Some of the themes were not all that enjoyable to listen to. But then again, I don't think any of the Zelda soundtracks since the N64 games have been nearly as consistent. Skyward Sword does wisely employ classics like Zelda's Lullaby and the very first game's overworld theme.

Zelda games have always entertained me, but this is the first game since Ocarina of Time that has really moved me. The beginning of Skyward Sword is so magical in its depiction of young love that it makes most of the previous Zelda games seem kind of lacking. Skyward Sword resulted in the first time I can remember ever tearing up in any videogame. It might sound a little silly to shed tears over a game, but the ending is really that emotional. I commend Skyward Sword's writers and developers for this game; it is not without its flaws, but it is a great success all the same. The romantic aspects really breathe life into the game, making the characters seem very human. I recommend Skyward Sword to anyone who has ever enjoyed or wanted to play a Zelda game. It's a enthralling adventure that is well worth your time.
on November 8, 2012
I've played thru this game twice already 100%. Everything about it is fantastic--almost. There's only two downfalls that I can think of in this game and they aren't very big.

-The first one being the Motion Plus. 99% of the time, these controls worked great for me! But sometimes, like bits when I had to play my harp, the controls were just so bad it would skip all over the place. It felt impossible to pass that bit and it took forever to accomplish (there were times when the harp worked beautifully as well!). This isn't the games fault, it's Nintendo's for poor construction of the remote and the way it all works (I have the Limited edition Zelda wii remote).
-Secondly, some of the mini games were TOO hard. So hard it made just about anyone who finally beat them absolutely HATE them. Especially Fledge's pumpkin toss... Uggggh *shivers*

Now onto the positives!

-Graphics: Anybody who complains about graphics in this game... why!? They're perfect. Excellent. This is the Wii, not Wii U or PS3. The graphics have to be a bit lower than some of you are used to by now because of how old the system is. It just wasn't designed for anything better. The colors are vibrant and it just makes everything look better.
-Music: The best aspect of this entire game, I think. The music was all done by a live orchestra so it sounds phenomenal. I can't think of anybody who didn't like the music in this game. It's a true masterpiece and the sound quality was excellent.
-Gameplay: when the motion plus was not acting up while I was playing my harp, the controls were great! Honestly, a little hard to get the hang of up until about half way thru the game. But by the time you're half way thru Hero Mode, you're a pro! It's very simple once you get the hang of it and swinging your sword has never felt better! Link mimics exactly what you do with your hand so it could be fun to play around with. There are also only three main areas you can explore; Woods, Volcano and the Desert. Now before you say "Awe, that sucks!", do some research. You will not be forced to revisit the same exact spot over and over again. The adventure fields are so HUGE that you have to unlock it one bit at a time. I definitely had a lot more fun revisiting the same three regions than visiting ten different places once. In a way, it made the game more unique and original.
-Bosses: Nothing about any of the bosses was disappointing. They're big (in exception to Ghirahim), scary and tough! The first boss of the entire game was probably the toughest next to the final boss and the Imprisoned. If you like a challenge, you won't be disappointed. (Even the mini bosses are a huge challenge!)
-Dungeons: During your first play through, the dungeons are quite big and challenging to figure out. With a lot of hidden puzzles, it forces you to really explore every corner of the temple to look for hints and solutions. It's a lot like other dungeons we've seen in previous Zelda games, so there really isn't too much I can say about them.
-Story: This story is so much different from the others in so many different ways. It makes it very clear that this is the first Zelda game in the series to date. It shows Link & Zelda's (childhood friends) relationship grow as they go thru so many hardships together and even make new friends. They save the world and all those who inhabit it's fate and learn what their destiny is. This story honestly had me in tears many times and I'm not an easy crier. It's very heart-warming at times, sad, and at the end very bittersweet.

That's all I can think to cover right now... but once you pick up this game, you'll never want to put it down. Hopefully you decide to purchase and give this game a shot, especially if you're a Zelda fan. It's pretty amazing stuff!

101/100 (it broke my scale!)
on February 10, 2014
finally got my skyward sword in ahead of schedule. I was skeptical about getting it because like most of us gamers we like to sit and relax while playing a game instead of moving constantly. been wanting to play it though but was waiting for a price drop and since playing twilight princess which is still a bad ass game regardless of what others might say. skyward sword is an okay game but not the greatest of all time. there are a few issues with it. the controls are alright until you try to fight a freakin plant and before they die they get your heart which I guess they want to go down fighting. like most of us gamers we like to hack and slash but really waiting for an opening that rarely comes but they can still get you??????? the other thing is the shield taking damage which does add some challenge, but after only 5 to 10 hits it breaks and you have to repair it or find items that take forever to find because not all monsters will drop what you need is pretty crappy. the only last complaint I have to say for it is the annoying spirit/ android of the sword Fi who is not really of much help and just repeats the same stuff that someone else had informed me about just 5 seconds ago and is really slowing down the game. If we wanted a more annoying version of Navi then would have stuck with Ocarina of Time at least can ignore her, but still at least she did provide some hints of useful info. Fi should be shot in the face lol
the good stuff though is the characters are more alive this time around with real personalities and emotions. even link being a grown up is not a cartoon wondering what the hell is going on and not being too over the top hilarious. and also not being a link who is not completely buzzed out of his mind or a link who only has one look to his face the whole time. Zelda is more lively a plays more of an important role this time around more so than in any other Zelda game. every character serves a purpose and pushes the story forward well except for Fi she still needs to be shot lol. this game reminds me more of the coming of age animes without being too silly but not overly serious as well. this is the first story and so many things are refrenced in their own small way to other Zelda games the would to follow in the timeline. the enemies are a bit goofier looking and not as freighting as the ones in Twilight Princess, but they block almost everything even when you hit their opening and you're left wondering how the hell did it get to the side when it was up? its a good game, but not for extensive and continuous hours upon hours like past titles. its more of a game if you have time for it here and there and want to watch a good cinematic Zelda. its good but not the best but is a must for any Zelda fan.
on July 28, 2015
What a masterpiece! This was the first Zelda game I've ever fully owned, and the adventure is just incredible! The music is memorable and fits dungeons and areas so well. I revisit Youtube so many times just to hear music from this game. This game did require Motion Plus, so I had to get an appendage for my Wii Remote + Nunchuk. The calibration button is super useful, and it is quite accurate after developing a sense of where your motion travels in the space in front of you. It brings back all of those nostalgic experiences of figuring things out and quick-drawing weapons/tools totally makes you feel pro while no one is watching.

I believe this is also now considered the very first Zelda event on the official timeline released by Nintendo, so I'm very glad to be able to start exploring the internet for what goes on after this experience.
on November 10, 2017
It’s very linear, but still has some open elements to each areas map. Honestly it’s kind of a breath of fresh air when compared to the long momentous tasks of other Zelda games. You can beat the first three temples within 8 hours? I love it and I suspect you will too.
on August 17, 2016
FANTASTIC GAME, Let me just say I LOVE The Legend Of Zelda games, but this goes above and beyond the others I've played. It's nice to add the so to speak "Origins Storyline" to my collection. This game has an amazing story (SPOILER ALERT)!!! My favorite parts of this game deal directly with Link pretty much Creating The Master Sword!!! The history lesson in this is amazing too considering the last words of Demise foretell the future after Skyward Sword. The evil will always remain along with the good through the ages. To sum it up in short "This game was created by The Gods"!!!
on January 21, 2017
This game shows the robustness of Nintendo's design process: Come up with core mechanics first, then design a game around them. The core mechanics make the game fun, the visuals and story make it compelling. Skyward Sword is what happens when you have one and not the other.

I have no beef with motion controls, I love Star Fox Zero and my Splatoon game got much better shortly after I switched to gyro aiming. But Skyward Sword feels like a game that was made for a traditional controller and shoehorned for the Wii. It's awkward and indirect. The swordplay was done well, it's pretty cool how some enemies and elements only respond correctly to being slashed in a particular direction, but everything else is a chore. It's a constant nag that, no, you can't do this the way that feels natural.

I came in expecting a learning curve, but this is a mess. It's the only major Zelda title I hadn't played and I hoped to do so before Breath of the Wild, but I think I'll wait for an HD remake.

On that note, too, the visuals are strangely fuzzy. I played Twilight Princess on the Gamecube and thought it was beautiful, so I'm not sure why they made it look this way. I realize graphical complaints are usually a moot point for Nintendo titles, but this is one case where it would have looked better if they'd just done less.

I'm sure the game has excellent content. I played it up to the first dungeon before deciding that it's too much of a chore to play to be enjoyable.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.